+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 1754 FirstFirst ... 54546474849505152535455565758596061626364651051555551055 ... LastLast
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Kittykisses, there's a thread in the announcements/help forum called How to post pictures, I think... it should tell you what you need to know. I'm pretty computer illiterate myself.

You rescued kitties? How many do you have?
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Pansygirl
    well, we went and looked at a female dalmatian yesterday........(drove over 45 minutes one way.......) her name is lucky and she is 5 years old. She has a calm but happy disposition.
    Congrats, Pansy! We used to have a Dal. It's not true that all Dals are hyper, btw (you WILL hear that from people, believe me) - ours had a lovely disposition. They do needs lots and lots of attention, mind you, ours couldn't bear to not be physically touching SOMEONE.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I'm so happy for you Pansy. And it's awesome that you adopted an older dog (versus a puppy) because now she has a second chance live in a loving home.

Can't wait to see pictures.

KittyKisses: Here's the link on posting pictures: How To Post Pictures
    Last edited by Jewelsy; 08-30-2004 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Kittykisses, there's a thread in the announcements/help forum called How to post pictures, I think... it should tell you what you need to know. I'm pretty computer illiterate myself.

You rescued kitties? How many do you have?
    Thanks for the info -- I'm going to look into it myself.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

No we don't have any other animals for Lucky to bond with........but she seems happy so far to be living with us inside our house........

I'm thinking of naming her Lady. When she's not running she prances. And she always wants human contact too.....the previous dalmatians we had were people lovers too.

Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

I'm lonely in college without my dog.

I'm thinking of bringing home a cat or rabbit when I get an apartment next year. (Only thinking, because it's obviously a big undertaking.) I visited the adoption center last week just to look the kittens and one of them came up to me with the sweetest, most pitiful expression on her face.

Below, the Dwarf Hotot and Devon Rex, two breeds that interest me. Any experiences?

Okay dog crate question..........our past dogs learned to use the crate when they were a puppies so it kinda happened........
    how do you explain to a 5 year old dog that its okay ........I put her favorite toys in it last night and today I was only gone for about 30 minutes.......

I would have left her outside but she seems to think I'm leaving her if I'm not outside with her........smile sooooo
    and I thought about leaving her in the laundry room........big enough room but I didn't know if she would destroy something.........

so I put her in the crate.....this afternoon but it took my about 5 tries......smile I'm really glad there were not any cameras around......
    I also tried leaving the tv on for sound .......has anyone else tried that??

Help.........
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

No experience personally Pansygirl, but I have friends with a big black lab that leave the TV on when they are going to be gone for a few hours. Actually their 13-year old son insists on leaving it on the Animal Planet.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Pansygirl
    Okay dog crate question..........our past dogs learned to use the crate when they were a puppies so it kinda happened........
    how do you explain to a 5 year old dog that its okay ........I put her favorite toys in it last night and today I was only gone for about 30 minutes.......

I would have left her outside but she seems to think I'm leaving her if I'm not outside with her........smile sooooo
    and I thought about leaving her in the laundry room........big enough room but I didn't know if she would destroy something.........

so I put her in the crate.....this afternoon but it took my about 5 tries......smile I'm really glad there were not any cameras around......
    I also tried leaving the tv on for sound .......has anyone else tried that??

Help.........
    Lots of experience with crating here. With your new dog, she may be thinking of the crate as a cage, and having come from a rescue situation, she may be thinking that's a bad thing. BUT, if you put her in there at random times during the day while you're home, leave her in for a few minutes, talk lovingly to her, give her a treat, then let her out with lots of praise, she'll begin to think that it's just part of the routine of life. She'll adjust just fine, it will just take some time. How long depends on the dog. I have also left the tv on for one of my current dogs. He's a big sissy labrador/mix, and he's VERY attached to me -- follows me everywhere I go in the house, or in the backyard, and he gets anxious when I leave. I have another dog, so he's not alone, but it's me he wants, not her. The tv seems to help somewhat......the house is not so quiet. Almost forgot, there are some great toys that occupy them......we have these red rubbery things with slots or holes in them big enough to push milkbones into. The dog has to work at trying to get the food out, so it keeps them busy. I always make sure not to make it too hard for them, though, I don't want them frustrated, just busy. They only get those when I'm leaving, as soon as I get home, I take them away and save for next time....otherwise they become just like any old toy. Because of this, they are prized possessions. You could try putting one of those in the crate, and that's the only time she gets it. If you continue putting her into the crate several times during the day, for short periods of time, enticing with treats (milkbones work great), eventually I think you'll find she grows more comfortable with the crate. It's kind of like a leash -- dogs hate leashes in the beginning, but once they realize it's a good thing, they think of their leashes differently. Good luck. Keep us posted.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Wow, Roseskid, those are really good responses! I wish I'd had you around when I got my chihuahua five years ago. We never did the crate thing. It just looked so cruel (until I understood the reasoning behind it). As a result it took forever (compared to our cats) to train her.

I have a problem with my chihuahua, by the way. She is terrified of storms, and I'm actually afraid she will hyperventilate and pass out. At the first clap of thunder or drop of rain she begins panting and stays as close to us as possible, jumping into our lap begging for reassurance. I feel bad for her because she just gets frantic, and sometimes we have to leave for work and leave her there by herself during the storm. I don't know why she's so scared except that she's just generally nervous,as chihuahuas usually are. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread