+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1387Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Still, the girls are never more adorable than when they're sleeping.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Aww, how cute Uncle David. There are too many cute pets here to mention them all since I posted last, but I think they are all lovely.
    I'll keep your pet in my thoughts and prayers lei,
    Queenie my condolences on the loss of your brother's pal.

Hello all...

I could use some advice/encouragement. My best friend has made an appt. to have her 14-year-old dog to sleep tomorrow afternoon. I have promised to go with her. She is still struggling with the decision, and I am trying to help her be okay with it, because I believe in my heart that it is the right thing to do. He is a 100-lb. Kuvasz (big white fluffy dog) who has suffered with bad arthritis in his back legs for a few years now. Many dogs of this breed only live to be 10 years old, and 14 years is really the high end of the life expectancy range. She has tried numerous treatments for him; he even gets acupuncture. In the last several months, his condition has really deteriorated. He has great difficulty getting up to a standing position. Falls down when trying to use the bathroom, often has an "accident" in the house. He can't navigate up or down even two stairs, and barks or cries at night for her to come sit with him in the living room. He can't navigate the hallway to her bedroom because of difficulty turning corners. Walking is a big challenge as sometimes his back legs give out.

But then occasionally, like today, he has a good day - he is able to get up by himself, walks around the house, make it outside to use the bathroom, etc. His appetite has not diminished and she gauges his mood as "happy". Still, these days are becoming less and less, and are rarely consecutive. I really feel that it is his time, as hard as this is.

Any words of advice? Wouldn't it be awful to wait until his condition is so bad that there are no good days left at all? I'm trying to help her accept the decision, but it is not my dog. I don't want her to feel remorseful, that she should have waited until it was undeniable.

This is my first experience with this firsthand, so your opinions are very much appreciated!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave;2407160;
    Hello all...

I could use some advice/encouragement.
    Aloha, and my deep condolences for your friend. I'm sure the situation is deeply agonizing for her, and I'm so very very sorry

She is blessed to have a friend like you to stand by her

I'm not a veterinarian and I've never had a dog and I'm not technologically qualified to know what her baby is going through. But my intuition, like yours, says that the darling is ready to go.

Of course it is your friend's decision but if it helps you feel stronger in supporting this decision, you have my concurrence. Again, this is just intuitive, but sometimes that's the best way to know. I'm sure others here will have more to add, so please only take my little hunch as just that.

Please keep us posted. You and your friend and her baby will be in my thoughts.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2406974;
    I'll keep your pet in my thoughts and prayers lei
    Thank you, Unklescott. I really feel the support of everyone here, and that's a beautiful thang

Rainey's having some good days. Now that we're all done with the testing and short-term treatments, and it's come down to keeping her comfortable, we all feel a sense of relief, and peace. She seems to get along with her painkillers, and is adjusting to a different lifestyle. The darling may stay with us a while more! But most importantly, her quality of life is good right now

Aloha and purrrrrrrs

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2406934;
    Still, the girls are never more adorable than when they're sleeping.
    Oh goodness I was wondering when I'd just HAVE to get started on this.

But first, Uncle D, I am falling more and more in love with your girls every post! Sweet angels, they are.

So, amongst our hundreds of pictures, hundreds are of snuggles, and the vast majority of those are our Rainey and Daniel. Just a sampling:
    Last edited by lei; 07-17-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave;2407160;
    I could use some advice/encouragement.
    I was faced with this identical circumstance with my dog Seamus. It was one of the most difficult decisions of my life. Two things got me through it.

I decided that I had to do what was best for Seamus, not for me. The thought that he had given himself so totally to me, and I might not be there at the supreme moment, was what made me choose to have him put to sleep. When I brought him to my vet I asked that Seamus be given a tranquilizer to calm him. I laid on the floor of the examination room hugging Seamus for at least half an hour. When my vet Steve came in to administer the drug, Seamus was calm and without pain. I was glad I was there for Seamus at that moment, just as he had always been there for me. Had I come home and found that he had died, in pain, with no one there to comfort him, I don't know how I would have survived.

The other thing that helped me get through the devastating loss, and my part in it, was when Steve, the vet, sent me a card a few days later assuring me that my decision had been both just and kind.

I still weep when I think about it, but, thanks to Steve and my decision to bring an end to Seamus's struggles, it's not a painful sadness.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by lei;2407230;
    amongst our hundreds of pictures, hundreds are of snuggles,
    We had a big discussion about cuddling kitties a while back. You should go back a ways and check it out.

lei and Uncle David, thank you.

lei, your snuggling kitties are precious.

Uncle David, I will share what you have said with my friend. The concept of wanting to be with them when they pass on strikes a chord with me. I think that will give her some comfort, to know that by controlling when his life will end, she can ensure that he does not pass on alone, in pain and in fear. That is the best advice I have heard as of yet. Thank you.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2407234;
    I was faced with this identical circumstance with my dog Seamus.
    Thank you for sharing that moving story, Uncle D. I will remember it well when/if I need to make that choice.

I have to ask -- does "Seamus" come from the Pink Floyd song about the dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2407243;
    We had a big discussion about cuddling kitties a while back. You should go back a ways and check it out.
    I will do that, in time, with great pleasure

ETA: oneTVslave brought up perhaps the most key part of Uncle's story. I would certainly rather have a loved one depart in that warm, kind, peaceful way, rather than alone and scared. Thank you again Uncle. And thank you, oneTVslave, for honing in on that (and for admiring my babies )
    Last edited by lei; 05-20-2007 at 11:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread