+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I can't see M_shell's avatar for some reason. I hate to miss out on good dog pictures.

I had an unsettling experience today. I found a nest of baby bunnies near the house a couple of days ago, and I've had remarkably good luck keeping the dogs away from it. Today, though, a big-arsed snakes was coiled up ON TOP OF THE NEST, hissing like a steam kettle, and with little baby bunnies crawling in all directions to get away. My business partner's husband happened to be there, and he grabbed the snake and carried it off, so no bunnies were harmed, thank goodness. I understand about the whole balance-of-nature thing, but that doesn't mean that I want to witness it first hand, and I surely don't want to explain to a 4-year-old why half of a bunny is hanging out of a snake's mouth I'll be keeping a pellet gun handy for the next couple of weeks, until the bunnies are able to run away more easily.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beccarella;2403277;
    It's been a tough couple of days!!
    Love the names you give your 'kids'. Glad things are getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2403332;
    My business partner's husband happened to be there, and he grabbed the snake and carried it off, so no bunnies were harmed...
    You should keep him around. Better for the environment to remove the snake to another location than to kill or injure it.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fan

Thank you for your kind thoughts!! I have loved all my 'kids' every bit as much as my kids! I miss those busy days....4 kids and 4 'kids'..."it was the best of times and the worst of times"!! I don't know how I lived through it all...I just know that there was a lot of LOVE involved there!! ...and more than a few tumbleweeds on the kitchen floor!!
    These are my two 'grand' basset hounds (Ruby & Walter)...that's all I got! And everyone loves the 'grandkids'!! (but I hear that it'll change this coming year!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great pictures and posts, everyone!

Becca - I hope that your dog is better soon.

We're taking our long, pudgy Henry to Do-Dah Day on Saturday. It's an outdoor festival with (usually) about 40,000 people and their pets. It raises money for the local Humane Scociety and several other pet shelters. I'll catch some pictures and post them. Henry always tries to snatch burgers or other food out of people's hands.... He runs/waddles straight towards the food vendors... I'm sure that we'll have quite a "tale/tail" story when we return.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Beccarella;2403420;
    Thank you for your kind thoughts!! I have loved all my 'kids' every bit as much as my kids!...
    Aww hon I'm glad your baby is getting better. I (and many others here, of course!) understand how it is.

Our eldest kitty, Rainey, has a tumor in her brain or inner ear and it's been a really rough couple weeks. No worries, anyone, we've done what we can and now it's just time to keep her comfortable, which she is. She's slept by my head for the last 15 of her 16.5 years so when her time comes I know I'll be a mess. I prepare myself a little at a time, but then she's such a trooper, she could stay around a while more, so, one day at a time!

Gosh I didn't mean to hijack your post, it's just the first pet-health one I've seen since I found this thread. Really I just wanted to wish your baby well.

And to say how beautiful and adorable those pictures are! Makes my heart melt.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2403332;
    I had an unsettling experience today...
    Wow, that's anxiety-provoking, to say the least! I understand what you mean -- it is nature, and I feed my cats other animals after all, but seeing a snake eat a bunny would be traumatic to me, and probably more so to most children. Thank goodness your friend was there!!! And good for you, for being prepared.

*phew*

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2403462;
    We're taking our long, pudgy Henry to Do-Dah Day....
    Is Henry in your avatar? Darling photo, and description!

Our local HS does a "Walk in the Park" thing. Our dinner/dance benefit is called "Fur Ball" (which I think is adorable.)

Have fun tomorrow! I'm sure with Henry, you will

[Deleted for double post.]
    Last edited by doxie; 05-19-2007 at 02:56 AM.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by lei;2403609;
    Is Henry in your avatar? Darling photo, and description!

Yes, that is Henry! LOL - we love taking him out to various "Pet friendly" places. We rescued him from a shelter about five years ago and he's the best dog I've ever had. He constantly makes me laugh. He's always on the lookout for food. We've nicknamed him "The Snatcher" because, more than once, he has snatched food out of our hands and he has grabbed food out of the hands of strangers as well. He's a very fun little long dog!

Lei, very sorry to hear about Rainey. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Thank you so much, doxie. This is a good time to meet people like you, a community like this

I volunteer at our local HS in a pet therapy program (we bring pets to visit seniors.) Our main therapy dog is named Henry! Must be a good name

Your darling boy sounds like so much fun. How wonderful that they can make us feel so good.

+ Reply to Thread