+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1421Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Way, your new kitty is adorable!

As for acclimating the cats to each other, I'd just take my cues from them. I've read lots of stuff about how, when you bring a new kitten into the home, you should put it in a separate room and let the older cats have the run of the house. I think it's not only to protect the kitten, but to make the older animals not feel like their home is being taken over.

I got that advice when I brought home my Suki. Jasper had been an only cat for 6 years and I wondered how he'd react to an "interloper." Well, he hissed and growled (mostly at me!) for about a day and then he was fine. Suki is so gregarious and sweet that she sort of won him over by force! I never had to put her in a separate room or do anything to smooth the transition. They just kind of worked it out themselves. I think it's a lot easier when you're bringing in a kitten rather than another adult cat. At least your big guy has a size advantage! Most cats have a mothering instinct, regardless of gender, and they want to take care of a baby. Jasper used to clean Suki to within an inch of her life. Maybe he was just trying to put his scent on her, but it helped them bond.

Let us know when you've come up with a name for your little cutie!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

About taking my kitty to the groomer...the one that needed to have the "hair appointments" was a cat with a fairly evil temperament, didn't mind biting, but had no claws. She wouldn't tolerate much touching. Serious attitude problem. When I picked her up, the groomer said what a good cat she was, and how nice she was (I was wondering if she may have mistakenly talking about another cat ). We're talking bath and dematting, here. I get the impression that kitties can be a lot like children in that the kitties show their better side to people other than their owners.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

You could be right prhoshay. But, one time I watched my cat- a persian at the groomers. He couldn't see me. He was evil nasty to them too! I felt so sorry for them, he had claws and was fast. After they got about halfway thru combing him, I told them they had had enough torture and took Luther home.

A few times my sister and I gave him a mild sedative in order to shave him. Even then it took 2 of us to hold him down and someone to do the actual shaving. No long hair cats anymore for me.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Me either! Her groomer did say that my Gail would let you know when she had had enough, and that she would have to take breaks while grooming her, and come back again (I was already at home by that time). Loved that groomer and her skills! Gail was cantankerous, but extremely smart.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 05-14-2007 at 12:13 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2388922;
    You could be right prhoshay. But, one time I watched my cat- a persian at the groomers. He couldn't see me. He was evil nasty to them too! I felt so sorry for them, he had claws and was fast. After they got about halfway thru combing him, I told them they had had enough torture and took Luther home.

A few times my sister and I gave him a mild sedative in order to shave him. Even then it took 2 of us to hold him down and someone to do the actual shaving. No long hair cats anymore for me.
    Did you know the name Luther means "warrior"?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;2376523;
    I have a question for all of you who have lost a loving pet. How long was it before you got a new one? And are you happy you decided to get one?

I put my baby Sam down about a year and a half ago. Well, we have the opportunity to get a full breed lab puppy (my boss' dog is pregnant and he said we can have the first pick. all we have to do is pay for the shots). Hubby is all for it, but I'm still not sure.
    Sorry about your loss.

My answer to your question would be everyone is different and to go with your gut.

It will be 7 years that I had to put my first and only dog down. She was not even a year old. I still have her tags and pictures and everytime I see a dog that looks like her, I get a little sad. I don't know if I can ever love a dog as much as I loved her. But, I'm getting a puppy. I've slowed down the process due to life stuff but, am going to really start seriously looking after about a month from now.
    So, it took a long time for me.
    Everyone has different experiences. I'd probably have gotten another dog sooner but, wouldn't have been home enough to take good care of one.

My brother has had a rotty for something like 10 years and he's dying now.
    They are looking for a puppy for my 6 year old niece to help ease her heartbreak.

What kind of Lab? The chocolate ones smell bad (sorry if someone has one) but, they do take a lot of cleaning. A friend of mine has one and I wouldn't want to deal with that. They are nice dogs though.

Good luck with your decision!

spell check is not working and neither is my brain so forgive any errors there.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan;2382864;
    My baby's shirt says it all.

This is the cutest picture.........I want a dog like that. Love the shirt

Adorable!
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Awwww!

Wayward: Love your new kitten! Her coloring is beautiful. I want her too, please.

JamiLee: OOooo such cute kittens. I'm so glad your daughter was able to save them. I could look at kittens 24/7. And congrats on decided to get a puppy! What kind are you thinking of getting? We need to know!

gabriel: Yes, you can do a lot of little things while kitties are asleep with the Sandman. Heh, heh, heh, Too funny!

Libra: Nice to see you survived Vegas!

ETA: Yes JamiLee: Isn't that the cutest puppy face ever?
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-14-2007 at 02:04 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

lei
    FORT Fogey

JamiLee -- they are adorable

Baby humans are kinda funny looking for a while, but there's nothing quite as cute as kittens and puppies.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamiLee;2389105;
    Sorry about your loss.

What kind of Lab? The chocolate ones smell bad (sorry if someone has one) but, they do take a lot of cleaning. A friend of mine has one and I wouldn't want to deal with that. They are nice dogs though.
    Thank you. It's been hard and I still get sad.

I don't know what kind hubby wants. My boss' dogs are chocolate and yellow. So we will have to wait to see what color pups she has and then pick. I'll keep that in mind about the smell. Anyone else notice that?
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

+ Reply to Thread