+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Poor baby!

Glad he's recovered.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2387210;
    I've got a health question about my cat. I know that a lot of ear wax is a sign of ear mites....

....Would a bath help with the kitty's spring shedding? He seems to be doing it a lot since there is light coming in the windows later at night....
    queenb you got some great advice here already. I'll just add that mites are only one (though probably the most common) cause of earwax in cats. There's other infections, most of them easily curable, but it's best for a vet to determine. Also, a good kitty comb and brush are indispensable for a sheddy cat. A softer brush is good to get them used to it, and work your way up to a strong metal flea comb (even if there's no fleas) because that will really do a good job. Our more sheddy cats have really learned to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by tv_luver;2387259;
    Well Im happy to say that Darcy has calmed down...and has given Jewels her space! thankfully but we are still watching carefully for it not to happen again....

....But friday poor little Dempsey went outside to play (he loves to play outside!) a bee stung him somewhere....I am happy to say that he is back to normal
    Well it's always something, isn't it? First, HOORAY that the dynamics are settling out!!! That must be a huge relief. Don't be surprised if you see further "testing" as the "pecking order" is challenged over time, but if things are improving, that's a great sign

Poor baby with the bee sting! So glad to hear he's well again

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2387194;
    Are they sure it's bears and not just a couple of Newfs having a joke at their expense?

Tell Waldo that if he doesn't straighten up, he's going to be the new night-watch-dog at the high-end development. That will either scare him straight, or he will immediately evacuate a week's worth of . . . well, you know what.

Poor Waldo wouldn't know a bear from a hole in the ground. But he's good at chasing squirrels. But he is scared of the BBQ grill and my husband's air compressor (not running, just sitting NOT making noise). He'd probably think the bears want to play.

Well my husband (the hunter) says he wants to go up there hunting. I do not need or want a bear skin rug. I don't believe in hunting unless you absolutely need to for food. But that's why we have the grocery store. I dont like it, but I don't disparage others that do it. It's just not MY thing. But I knew he was a hunter when I married him, not that he hunts much anymore.

Still. BEARS! We don't have many bears in Florida anymore. In fact, I've never seen a wild bear. So knowing that there are bears here is kind of cool.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

tvlover: Oooooh Dempsey looks so unhappy I'm glad he's going to get better. Bee stings hurt!

myrosiedog: If it were Captain Jack, I'd invite him right in!

queenb: Mr. Tootles had a very bad case of ear mites when he was rescued. I had to keep him separated from my other kitty and give him prescribed ear drops. He would shake his head so bad I thought he'd get dizzy. And he scratched so hard, his nails drew blood. Even now he has very bad scar tissue inside his ears which bother him now and then. Please see a vet.

I have never bathed either of my cats. Mr. Tootles is long hair and loves his brushes. I check him weekly for any small matts that form and cut them out. Gracie prefers a combing and gets more matting with her medium but thick fur. I have to cut those out too. Usually when she's just waking up sleepy or trying to go to bed.

I can't imagine taking either of my kitties to a groomer. I'd have to wear a complete safety suit. So would the groomer.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Any advice for introducing a new kitten to an older, indoors cat? I've had the one cat for two years, strictly indoors (he's about three years old). Just brought home a two month old kitten...no big drama yet, just a lot of sniffing and a little hissing. Right now they're both sleeping.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to keep the older cat from getting upset over the new addition to "his" house, and keep the baby from being afraid of the bigger cat, which she seems to be. Any ideas?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Here's the new baby (I haven't picked a name yet!) :

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

First of all waywyrd, I want that kitty. Soooo adorable.

Second, I've found that, with rare exceptions, these things just work themselves out.

Did I say I want that kitty?

Is it a Blue Point?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Poor Dempsey-pooh. Glad he's on the way to getting better. I had an idiot cat that used to like to chase bees, but she never caught one, thank goodness.

waywyrd , what a precious!! Sounds like the kitties are on their way to working out the pecking order. You should let them do it as much as you can, but monitor against the baby being hurt. I'd make sure to put the baby in a bathroom, or where ever, when you are out of the house. I brought in a baby kitty several years ago, and she immediately took over the running of the other older, much more established kitties as soon as she got out of the carrier! I was shocked! She was about 8 weeks old, too.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Good idea - I'll definitely put her in the bathroom when I go to work. The older cat is pretty laid-back, just a big ball of fur, but he's big and I don't want to take that chance. Sounds like I should just step back and let them sort it out!

Uncle David, I have no idea what she is. The mother is solid grey, sort of Russian Blue-looking. The father? They have no idea. Obviously a Siamese of some kind, but nobody ever saw him. Must have snuck in during the night.

Poor Dempsey! The same thing happened to our JRT when he was just a puppy. He went into shock (eyes rolled back, paws twitching) and I rushed him to the vet. They suggested Baby Benadryl and I was up all night squirting pink liquid down his throat.

QueenB - I'd take him to the vet and get some suggestions. While we had our two rescue kittens a few weeks ago, we took them to the vet for shots/de-worming/etc. While we were there, one of the vet-techs (who eventually ended up adopting one of our kittens) suggested that we swab their ears with an equal mixture of vinegar and water to prevent ear mites. Just a suggestion - I'd never had a cat until those two came along - I'd think that you would have to get rid of the ear mites first and then try the vinegar thing to prevent them. Good luck.

Cute pictures everyone! Happy Mother's Day to all of you with furry kids!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread