+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;2376523;
    I have a question for all of you who have lost a loving pet. How long was it before you got a new one? And are you happy you decided to get one?

I put my baby Sam down about a year and a half ago. Well, we have the opportunity to get a full breed lab puppy (my boss' dog is pregnant and he said we can have the first pick. all we have to do is pay for the shots). Hubby is all for it, but I'm still not sure.
    When my Weimaraner Emma died it was horrible but I also had other dogs to help me through the process....we had given one of her pups to a friend of ours and they couldnt keep her any more so we took her in and that helped having one of her babies with us. And about 6 months later we got a call from a woman saying that one of the pups we sold to this family had been abandoned by the "family" and was skinny as a rail! So we took her in.

Then about a 2 years ago our dachshund/mix Lewey got hit by a car and died, it was horrible cause we got him when I was about 3. He was such a sweetie and our beagle Blue was super depressed cause that was his best buddy and is still isnt the same dog to this day.

A little off the subject.

But I would definately get one soon...it helps a lot even though they arent the dog you had you still have all the memories from before and the new dog
    will help in the "healing process" and if you get one of the same breed they will have some of the same similarities as your other dog
    thats what I did with Dempsey and he reminds me of lewey all the time cause he has the same sweetness that I love

I have a question for all of you who have lost a loving pet. How long was it before you got a new one? And are you happy you decided to get one?

I put my baby Sam down about a year and a half ago. Well, we have the opportunity to get a full breed lab puppy (my boss' dog is pregnant and he said we can have the first pick. all we have to do is pay for the shots). Hubby is all for it, but I'm still not sure.
    We got Buddy about 2 weeks after we lost Rocky. It helped tremendously! It's been a year (last week) since we lost Rocky and Mike still misses him and thinks he's the best dog he's ever had but Buddy is coming in a close 2nd (or 3rd next to Jack - his childhood pet). So I highly recommend getting another one. They will never "replace" but there's room for the new pet and you will love them as much!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Personally, I don't think there is a set timetable for getting another baby. I think you will get internal clues when the time is right. There is nothing wrong with a grieving period, and there is nothing wrong with immediate replacement. When one of my 3 kitties died 2 years ago, I was a basket case and unable to deal with the idea of getting another one right away. My girls were never all cuddly with each other, but all were cuddly with me at their own times. It was pretty quiet around the house, and I noticed that the other 2 were walking around looking for Gail. She died in August. By November, I realized that mine was definitely a 3-kitty house, so I finally added to the family. And all was right with the world again!

You will know when the time is right.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

In some respects another animal brings the pain to the forefront. I'm not sure, however, if brings it more often. The good thing is, when the pain comes, there's a furry little creature to cry into.

I had a dog Seamus, a cat George, and another cat Mignon at the same time. In the course of one week I had to put Seamus and Mignon to sleep, and George was hit by a car, breaking his leg. Life would have been unbearable without George. Seeing him reminded me of the loss of my other kids, but having him there to hold lessened the pain.

Get the puppy!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I got the boys about a month after I lost Tigger. Best thing i ever did. I still can't thank Star enough for posting their picture. For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2377020;
    Personally, I don't think there is a set timetable for getting another baby. I think you will get internal clues when the time is right. There is nothing wrong with a grieving period, and there is nothing wrong with immediate replacement.
    I agree. Just go with what feels best for you. Our Simon is almost 14. I've had him since he was a puppy and I'm pretty sure that when his time is up, Henry will be an only child for awhile.

tvluver - I dug out a picture of my childhood dog and attached it. Dempsey reminds me so much of him! We got him when I was about 10 and me and my younger brother/bother and the dog all grew up together. He was a sweetie and it looks like Dempsey is too!

bbnbama: Hilarious story!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

doxie he looks a lot like dempsey...so cute with the big red bow around his neck

[I think I was about 12 when I took that picture. My mom used that red bow to top her Christmas Tree. I certainly remember how mad she was when she found out that I had decorated the dog with it! Have fun with your little Dempsey - he is just adorable!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2376682;
    I got this in an email today...it pertains to Mother's Day but its still funny.........

On Mother's Day: Why My Lips Stayed Chapped! - -
    author unknown - -

So, we had this great 10 year old cat named Jack who
    just recently died. Jack was a great cat and the kids
    would carry him around and sit on him and nothing ever
    bothered him. He used to hang out and nap all day long
    on this mat in our bathroom.

Well we have 3 kids and at the time of this story they
    were 4 years old, 3 years old and 1 year old. The
    middle one is Eli. Eli really loves chapstick. LOVES it. He kept
    asking to use my chapstick and then losing it. So finally one
    day I showed him where in the bathroom I keep my
    chapstick and how he could use it whenever he wanted
    to but he needed to put it right back in the drawer
    when he was done.

Last year on Mother's Day, we were having the typical
    rush around and try to get ready for Church with
    everyone crying and carrying on. My two boys are fighting over
    the toy in the cereal box. I am trying to nurse my
    little one at the same time I am putting on my
    make-up. Everything is a mess and everyone has long
    forgotten that this is a wonderful day to honor me and
    the amazing job that is motherhood.

We finally have the older one and the baby loaded in
    the car and I am looking for Eli. I have searched
    everywhere and I finally round the corner to go into the bathroom.
    And there was Eli. He was applying my chapstick very
    carefully to Jack's . . . rear end. Eli looked right into my eyes
    and said "chapped."

Now if you have a cat, you know that he is right --
    their little bottoms do look pretty chapped. And,
    frankly, Jack didn't seem to mind. And the only
    question to really ask at that point was whether it
    was the FIRST time Eli had done that to the cat's
    behind or the hundredth.

And THAT is my favorite Mother's Day moment ever
    because it reminds us that no matter how hard we try
    to civilize these glorious little creatures, there
    will always be that day when you realize they've been
    using your chapstick on the cat's butt.

I am crying I am laughing so hard.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

When my Snowy passed, I didn't think I would live. She was my precious baby girl that I had pined for my whole life. But having Gracie still here did help. I didn't know if I would get another kitty right away but then Karma and the Universe dumped Mr. Tootles in my arms, literally, at the Pet store. That was it. Decision made. It was almost a month after Snowy passed.

If you have love and room in your heart for another pet, then be open to letting another one in. For there are always pets waiting to be loved. :bigheart
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread