+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2375108;
    He's getting tutored? That's cool.

Unk - you made that far side comic pop into my head.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2375092;
    I took Oscar the Auxiliary to his foster home on Sunday. I got a call from the Heart of America Newfoundland Club's rescue chair tonight, and Oscar is probably coming back to live with me again It turns out that the foster home has a territorial lab mix that is making Oscar's life miserable, and everyone involved agrees that that isn't the point behind doing rescue. That poor boy is going to be so confused for a while especially since one of the first things that will happen when he comes back here is that he is to be neutered Poor baby.
    So will Oscar be with you permanently now? Poor boy on the neutering thing, but at least its responsible. I hate that people do not do this and that's why we have so many unwanted pets.

Thanks all for the advice. Kat, what you said makes a lot of sense.

The one nugget I got out of the book so far is that if they see you pick up the poop, they consider it as "accepting their gifts" and will keep doing it.

I do believe in non violence training, but really, I'm finding his book to be a little new agey and perhaps harder than it has to be. At the rate he suggests, I might have Waldo trained by 2010.

I do know that part of training the dog is retraining us, but I have not gone gaga over this book like the people that reccomended it to me.

I am going to look into a nonviolent obedience school. I think I need a teacher instead of a book.
    Someone at church reccomended this GREAT guy that will train your dogs in the manner of the dog whisperer. But its $500!!!!
    I think we will do the cheaper version.
    What is so hard is that Rosie and Bogie were so easy. I mean, we barely had to do much with them and they got it. Bogie even taught himself tricks.
    We had hoped Waldo would learn from Rosie and Bogie as that is pretty much how they both learned. Rosie learned from the dog we had when we got her and Bogie learned from both Annie and Rosie. But Waldo is clueless. Loveable, very affectionate, but clueless.
    If he were a person, he would be Spicolli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
    He is the dog version of the skateboarder/surfer dude personality.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

So will Oscar be with you permanently now? Poor boy on the neutering thing, but at least its responsible. I hate that people do not do this and that's why we have so many unwanted pets.
    That's a pretty good question. I don't know what my status is, whether I'm just his half-way house or his foster daddy. There is usually a lengthy approval process for becoming a foster family, which I have not gone through. We have a big shortage of foster homes in the club right now, so I may have become one by virtue of volunteering. I do know that Oscar may find a forever home with a family some day, but until that happens, he's welcome here.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2375808;
    Unk - you made that far side comic pop into my head.
    And you made me think of the one of the man driving home with the cat and you see the dog jumping up and down in the road in front of the house and the man is saying "Look who's happy to see you coming home from being declawed!"

Rosie - when we got Boris, I got a book on dog training that was written by the monks of New Skete. They have two - How to be Your Dog's Best Friend and The Art of Raising a Puppy. Have you tried either book? I used the puppy one and it was very helpful.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2375928;
    And you made me think of the one of the man driving home with the cat and you see the dog jumping up and down in the road in front of the house and the man is saying "Look who's happy to see you coming home from being declawed!"

Rosie - when we got Boris, I got a book on dog training that was written by the monks of New Skete. They have two - How to be Your Dog's Best Friend and The Art of Raising a Puppy. Have you tried either book? I used the puppy one and it was very helpful.
    I will be off to the library to look.

Right now he's sleeping (and snoring) and he's just so cute and loveable. Just like when children are asleep and they are all angels, so it goes for Waldo!

The bad sewer men are back (will this project NEVER get done), so taking them out on their regular schedule is being disrupted. I have to take them out when the workers go to lunch. The problem with Waldo is that he gets easily distracted outside and forgets what he's out there to do! Having these men in the neighborhood is a huge distraction. Heck the birds and squirrels and even the fire truck siren the other day stopped him from what he was obviously going to do. He must had doggy ADD, as he can't stay focused on anything for long.

myrosie, we had a dog once who pooped inside too and I had two who didn't so it was easy to figure out who the culprit was although he was very sneaky as to never let us see him do it. And I thought even if by chance one of the other two were doing it, they were acting out because of his presence. What really irked me is that we have a pet door and he would go outside all day long and then poop at night while we were sleeping. I started crating him at night but he also started peeing on the carpet in our bedroom (and other areas of the house) during the day. As he was sort of forced on me by the in-laws I decided I just didn't have the patience and placed him in another home. He probably could have been trained eventually but I didn't feel he was a good fit in our home. I couldn't even put him out during the day to where he couldn't come in the house because then the other two would have been blocked from going in and out of the dog door when they needed to.

Another thing that changed when he came was my other two used to play with each other and when he came he was a bit of a bully and they stopped playing with each other. After I found him a new home the other two never did go back to their usual fun playful relationship with each other and that has been a sore spot for me ever since. Well now one of mine has passed away but I always felt bad that in her final couple of years things changed between her and her son (the other dog who we still have).

My in-laws aren't good pet owners to begin with as they've had many pets who never would housebreak because they never stuck with it. My MIL said she had him paper trained (partially true - he did use the paper but he also used the floor when he felt like it) and I told her flat out I wasn't going to have two dogs who knew to go outside and another using newspaper in the house. He didn't get with the program and I admit I didn't try hard enough. I won't even go into the story about why we ("we" as in my husband) took him in the first place.

When you get them as puppies or as an only dog if they're an adult, sometimes it's easy to housebreak them. But when you introduce an adult into a home with other dogs, territorial behavior kicks in and sometimes it's very difficult to get the new dog to fit into the liefestyle you've been accustomed to. Sometimes you have to change the dynamic of your home in order to get all the pets on the same page so to speak but in my case I just wasn't willing to do it.

I'm sure you'll be able to find someone or a resource to help you. It sounds like your family loves him a lot and are willing to do the work to correct his issues. I'm sure having a positive attitude is a big help as animals definitely pick up on our energy.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 05-08-2007 at 10:42 AM.

MRD

Very interesting Archie. We never catch Waldo in the act of pooping. And he did NOT do this when we got him. This has all started recently and he too goes at night mostly.

Also, he now plays with Bogie where Bogie used to play with Rosie and they do not play together like they used too. Waldo has also taken possession of ALL the toys.
    He's not a bully (Rosie and Bogie bully him more), but he definetly has changed the dynamic of the other dogs relationship (we have mother and son too.) I hate that they don't play anymore and Bogie is STILL a tad put out that Waldo is here. But I also don't want to get rid of Waldo. And he was supposed to be my daugther's dog (she was going to take care of him) and now I'm the one doing all the work.

I don't want to give him away because I always feel that NO ONE is going to take care of my animals like I would (I know, but I would feel awful giving him away and he would be so confused).

Things have gotten a lot better between all 3 dogs and I hope one day they are really good. The other 2 seem to be more accepting now than at first and you'd think they would act out and haven't. He's the one that has suddenly started pooping in the house.

I do wish in a way we hadn't gotten him, but now that we have him, he's here to stay.

Oh, by the way, he is afraid of the BBQ grill. Hubby moved it on the back patio to grill hamburgers on Sun. and didn't move it back and now Waldo can't go out in the yard that way as the grill is there. He stares at it and then at me with a look of fear in his eyes. I swear he is the re-incarnation of my parents Golden. Jay was scared of the vacuum and if it was out (just sitting, not being used at all, b ut sitting out), he could not go in the same room with it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

All I can say is....thank goodness for kitties and litter boxes!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2372374;
    Here you go! Courtesy of Google "cute animal."

that will do just fine.

That dog whisperer guy, Ceaser Milan? Is very nice looking. I like that he works with the bully breeds and rescue animals.

I have heard great things about clicker training and plan to look into it. The newest member of our family, Harmony has had 2 poop accidents. It has been late at night when it happened and I think it's because nobody else in this family has learned to read her "signals" I go to bed early and DH stays up late. Is it too much to expect him to tear himself away from the endless war games he plays, reach over 2 feet to open the back door? Apparently so.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Sometimes you have to change the dynamic of your home in order to get all the pets on the same page so to speak
    This was certainly the case with me - and still is, to a degree. Both mine are adopted from the pound. Before we brought home the first one, I knew I may have adjustments to make regarding the cat. She had ruled the roost for so long, and I didn't know if the first dog, Eric, would be cat-friendly or not. She is declawed so there was no way she could "teach" him by a few well-placed swats to the nose... but it worked out that they get along great. Then we decided to adopt another dog, and brought home Hitch. I expected Hitch to take his cue from Eric - Eric was quite a bit older and bigger and I had heard that dogs already in the home, especially if they're older, are almost always automatically "alpha". But, no. Not the case with us. Hitch came in and started asserting his dominance from the very beginning, and it caused a few scuffles between the two boys. But they eventually worked it out, and get along well now, rambunctious "playing" aside...

The ongoing problem I have is that Hitch and the cat are mortal enemies. The cat has taken to living only upstairs and we have to use a child-gate at the bottom of the staircase to keep the dog from terrorizing her. Trust me, I've tried everything to encourage them to get along, but this dog obviously had a cat issue before he came to live with me. He's not exactly aggressive toward her. It's hard to explain. He starts wagging his tail furiously when he hears her meowing. He wimpers and whines at the stairs. He watches her like a hawk when she comes to the stairs... and he has had a few instances of catching her off guard. He has never seriously hurt her, but when he does get her cornered or get her in his mouth, he carries her around like a prized toy, prancing and wagging his whole body, so darned proud of himself while she writhes around hissing and screamimg and generally making a racket worthy of a much larger, meaner animal. She hates him. I swear she plots out ways to antagonize the poor thing. Our house is really too small for this seperation, but it's all I can do since I'm not getting rid of any of the pets. We've just had to make adjustments. I'm a lot more limber than I used to be, going over the gate at the bottom of the stairs 20 times a day...

+ Reply to Thread