+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2374013;
    Has anyone read the Dog Whisperer book? I picked up a copy at the library today. I'm tired already and only read about 15 pages and have yet to do any of this with any of the dogs. I guess the biggest lesson I've learned from the book so far is that I lack the patience to do this. I need to hit the lottery so I can hire this guy to come do it.
    I bought the book after we got digital cable and I discovered his show on The National Geographic channel. I love that man! I'm halfway through the book but put it down a few weeks ago and haven't found the time to pick it back up. I will finish it though. Soon. I promise.

I love the Dog Whisperer too; I think he does wonderful things for dogs without being ridiculously new-agey the way some animal trainers are nowadays.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

The boys love having the windows open. Something has certainly grabbed their attention.

I took Oscar the Auxiliary to his foster home on Sunday. I got a call from the Heart of America Newfoundland Club's rescue chair tonight, and Oscar is probably coming back to live with me again It turns out that the foster home has a territorial lab mix that is making Oscar's life miserable, and everyone involved agrees that that isn't the point behind doing rescue. That poor boy is going to be so confused for a while especially since one of the first things that will happen when he comes back here is that he is to be neutered Poor baby.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

He's getting tutored? That's cool.

Newfs are usually pretty smart and don't need much tutoring, but it's part of the rescue requirements.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2374710;
    The boys love having the windows open. Something has certainly grabbed their attention.
    Half the fun of kitties, for me, is watching them watch. I just love that!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I love Hardy with his butt up on the furniture and his paws down on the sill. Classic kitty.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

As usual, great pictures!

I adore Dempsey. I'm going to have to find a picture of my ten year old self with our pet/Dempsey lookalike - and then I'll have to find the time to post it!

MRD - my parents have a Springer Spaniel who was very bad about jumping (or springing ). Their vet suggested a local dog trainer (who incidentally, raises and trains JRTs ). This woman trained my parents! They learned to give the dog a gentle knee in the chest when he jumps up and also a very stern "NO".

Also - I have read the Dog Whisperer book and I think we've seen every episode. Henry goes insane and barks at the TV when he hears/sees Cesar Milan's dogs. The book was very interesting!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2374196;
    for the jumping problem...try ignoring the behavior. Turn your back and leave the room. If guests come over...have them do the same. Dogs want attention more than anything else in the world and even the dimmest of dogs will eventually catch on ..."Wait a minute! If I jump on them..they ignore me....must.not.jump...."
    Very true. In obedience class we were taught to turn our backs and make an unpleasant noise. The instructor said if you push the dog away it was still a reward because by jumping on you the dog got you to touch him.

+ Reply to Thread