+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1420Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Livin': I can't even find words to express how saddened I am to hear the story of your childhood. I hope your life has turned a few corners since then.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

It's cool Uncle. God has blessed me with 2 amazing kids, a wonderful DH, and my furbabies. I'm happy.

I don't know what compelled me to write all that down. What a thread killer. Quick somebody post a pix of a cute animal!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2372368;
    Quick somebody post a pix of a cute animal!
    Here you go! Courtesy of Google "cute animal."

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Heres Dempsey who is now 6 months old hes growing up so fast (weighed him at the pet store he is a whopping 11 pounds!)
    This is Jewels I call her my little Jeebster (shes 1/2 Chihuahua 1/2 Jack Russel)

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by tv_luver;2373020;
    Heres Dempsey who is now 6 months old hes growing up so fast (weighed him at the pet store he is a whopping 11 pounds!)
    This is Jewels I call her my little Jeebster (shes 1/2 Chihuahua 1/2 Jack Russel)
    I've seen and heard of so many Chihuahua and JRT mixes that there has to be one of those fancy cross breed names for them now. Jackhuahua's?
    ChihuaRussell? Chijacks?
    Very cute pics.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2372374;
    Here you go! Courtesy of Google "cute animal."

I love that shot! It reminds me of one I have...
    My mom has a pic of my younger brother in a similar pose... it is the sweetest thing, except the dog on which he (my bro) is lying isn't so cute! It was an old mutt that lived around my grandparent's lake property, but was the most patient and loving dog! She was black and brown, shaggy coat, sweet face, but ugly. We called her Meeko, and I have no clue where the name came from. Anyway, we used to try to climb up on her back (we were young - toddler aged. I don't remember this, but my mother tells me it's true!) and she'd let us "ride" her around the yard. My brother was a little baby and my Mom decided to let him have a turn. But Meeko wouldn't go anywhere with the baby on her back. She just laid down, stretched out, and my brother fell asleep clutching little handsful of dog fur. Mom had to have a pic, and it turns out to be one of my alltime favorites!

MRD

Has anyone read the Dog Whisperer book? I picked up a copy at the library today. I'm tired already and only read about 15 pages and have yet to do any of this with any of the dogs. I guess the biggest lesson I've learned from the book so far is that I lack the patience to do this. I need to hit the lottery so I can hire this guy to come do it.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2374013;
    Has anyone read the Dog Whisperer book? I picked up a copy at the library today. I'm tired already and only read about 15 pages and have yet to do any of this with any of the dogs. I guess the biggest lesson I've learned from the book so far is that I lack the patience to do this. I need to hit the lottery so I can hire this guy to come do it.
    I've never seen the Dog Whisperer...so...what are you trying to do? Train your dogs?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2374057;
    I've never seen the Dog Whisperer...so...what are you trying to do? Train your dogs?
    Well Waldo has some annoying habits. He nips. It doesn't hurt, but he likes to nip and that sort of turns off people. And he jumps up and he's big, so a big jumping, nipping dog is a big turn off to our friends.
    And he's started pooping in the house all of a sudden.

The other two are fairly well behaved and have not messed in the house since puppyhood, so I'm not sure why he's doing it. And we take him out all the time.

So I'm trying to modify his behavior especially the pooping and the book only talks about potty training puppies, so that doesn't help.

But the part that got to me and my lack of patience was the repetitiveness.
    You teach the behavior with a "food lure". You put it in your right hand and give it to him until he's "80% trained". Then you put the food in your OTHER hand and continue with the signals with the right hand, but give him the food from the left hand, until he's "80% trained". Then you start all over again with NO food. I was ready to poke sticks in my eyes just thinking about it.
    And with Waldo, we would take a long time to get to 80%. I think he's definetly trainable, but he's not the the smartest dog in the house, let me put it that way.

Animal Behavior was one of the courses I had to take for my Vet Tech degree (just graduated in late Feb...woot!) and for the jumping problem...try ignoring the behavior. Turn your back and leave the room. If guests come over...have them do the same. Dogs want attention more than anything else in the world and even the dimmest of dogs will eventually catch on ..."Wait a minute! If I jump on them..they ignore me....must.not.jump...."

Also...clicker training has proven to be successful. My instructor took one of the lab cats and a can of tuna and taught that cat to sit for a bite. Within 20 minutes that cat sat on command! It was amazing to see.

I'm not sure why your pooch is pooping. There could be many reasons. Here is a link that might help you. Good luck!
    How to House-train Your Adult Dog

+ Reply to Thread