+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

My min pin is litter trained. He's also nosy. If we have company and he needs to pee, he will stand outside the box and hike his leg over it and pee.. It's the funniest thing! He is a tiny dog and the litter box is one with higher walls. I think he thinks its faster and he doesn't want to miss anything. He is a priss and won't step in his poo, but he often will pee on his own foot. I have to wash his little feet every night before bed. He sleeps with me, and there is no way I'm letting him in my bed after he's traipsed through the litter box...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Maybe other people have seen this, but I had a first today. While reading a newspaper, I saw an obituary, complete with picture of a dog that had died. His name was Thomas. Obviously, he was very loved. There were even entries in a condolence book. Very interesting.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2368264;
    Maybe other people have seen this, but I had a first today. While reading a newspaper, I saw an obituary, complete with picture of a dog that had died. His name was Thomas. Obviously, he was very loved. There were even entries in a condolence book. Very interesting.
    I have seen them for Police dogs, but not other pets.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Our paper has a section in the classifieds (near the pets for sale section) that is for pet memorials. I saw one just the other day that had a picture of the dog and a little poem. It was the third anniversary of that dog's passing.

When the paper first started listing these, there were quite a few. This recent one was the first I had seen in a long time so maybe that's why it jumped out at me. Or maybe the fact that the owner's truly loved their little pooch tugged at my heart.

myrosidog: So glad that Waldo gets a bath! Did you know that some people now take their dogs to the car wash where they have a table set up for big dogs to wash too? That's too funny about your pups not being able to do their business on a hill. And I'm glad to hear that Waldo and your husband have their bath days sorted out! LOL

Newf: So sorry to hear you have to give up Oscar. He sounds like a wonderful dog, but I'm sure he will be very happy in his new home because you wouldn't settle for anything less! This is very funny for me to hear about one dog peeing on another. Cats would not stand for that. They must have their kitty box privacy and do not share at the same time ever!

canuckinchile: I'm sorry to hear about your brother's poodle. I'm trying to imagine the "pike position pee". Gosh, wish someone had taken a photo of that.

remote goddess: That is very nice of your friend to foster dogs. I couldn't foster an animal either. I'd keep every one of them. Glad to hear you have two happy ones of your own!

katgib: Maybe your min pin would do better with a lower edged box? Good thing about kats are they wash their paws several times a day so they aren't dirty. Have you put out a litte mat around the litter box? It helps get the little out between their toes when they walk out.

MamaC: I've walked through a pet cemetary once. Never again. The memorials were heartbreaking. It's nice they had a separate section for them though.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Double-posting, because I want to.

Mr. Tootles was very good at his vet appointment. He gained a pound and is now 16.9 pounds! So he is at Chunky Plus; but not obese. Which would be extremely embarassing! He is sleeping now as he had 3 shots. His eyes, ears, and teeth are very good. He settled in the sink at the vets while we discussed getting him more energy and exercise. He's going back on Royal Canin Special 33 for his sensitive tummy. He's scratching again and his coat is getting dry and losing its beautiful sheen. But we're also going to put him on some wet cat food that is high in protein.

I learned this and want to share.-- Wet cat food has much more protein (therefore energy) than dry cat food. It should have around 40% protein. In order to determine this from the can there is a little math that you must do. Take the amount of water it says is on the label; say 77%. Deduct that from 100% = 23%. That is the amount of actual food in the can (not counting the water). Then take the protein number given, say 9%. Divide it by the 23% and you get about 40% protein! That is what you need to look for on any canned cat food. You won't get that in most grocery store brands but Petcetera or specialty cat food places will carry it. Some brand names are Wellness and Innova. I'm going to add that to both his and Gracie's diet slowly.

Unfortunately my vet have had some pets die from the tainted food which is very sad. And one of her patients is suffering from kidney failure due to eating a raw food diet. The owner was trying to do a good thing but some raw food diets cause problems for cats too. So she asked me to stay away from a full raw food diet. UncleDavid: I know it's working well for your two girls so this was just her professional opinion on my kitty.

We discovered that Gracie has not had any shots since she was a kitten, 8 years ago. So her appointment is on Tuesday morning. That will be a lot more difficult as she hates the car and really doesn't get out. Because she is only around 5 pounds, she will probably feel the needles more than Tootles. I'm expecting a very UNhappy Tuesday.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

About that pet obituary...it was in with the rest of the dead people. I want to say that I have seen memory ads in the classified section before, but never anything like this one. With as many lines as the obit was, the owner had to pay to have it placed in the obituary section.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Glad Mr. Tootles is ok and doing well.

Waldo is acting like a man on death row with a last minute pardon from the governor. It's rainy and chilly, so no bath tonight. Stinky dog for one more day.
    I have seen the car washes with bathtubs for pets. But Waldo gets carsick remember? I'd be washing Waldo and the inside of the car.

It's a good thing we've come to love the big old thing, cause he sure isn't easy. Right now he's snoring next to me like Fred Flintsone. I expect the keyboard to get sucked out of my lap!

Hubby was disappointed because he said giving Waldo a bath is liking target shooting at the county fair. He gets to aim at a moving target and try to hit it with the water hose.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2368442;
    Double-posting, because I want to.

Mr. Tootles was very good at his vet appointment. He gained a pound and is now 16.9 pounds! So he is at Chunky Plus; but not obese. Which would be extremely embarassing!

We discovered that Gracie has not had any shots since she was a kitten, 8 years ago. So her appointment is on Tuesday morning. That will be a lot more difficult as she hates the car and really doesn't get out. Because she is only around 5 pounds, she will probably feel the needles more than Tootles. I'm expecting a very UNhappy Tuesday.
    I like that term, chunky plus. Will have to remember to use it on myself!
    If it makes Gracie feel any better at all, tell her they just pull up the loose skin on the back of the cat's neck and stick the needle thru, so it goes into neither fat nor muscle. Unless the vet unluckily hits a small nerve, most kitts don't feel anything. Way back when, you could buy the pet shots in rural feed stores, and my vet asistant friend showed me how to do them. I don't recall any of our many barn kittes ever caring much when you gave the shots. Gracie might also ride in the car better if you cover the carrier with a towel so it's dark and calming. Also strap the cage into the seat with the belt, so it's more stable. It's worth a try!

My 2 cents woth on the cat foeeding program--the rescue where I got Rocky reccommended Nutro Complete Care Indoor cat food (dry) and we are both happy. Rocky is exteremly active and playful, even at six years old, has no throwing up issues any more, and one thing I actually find hard to believe is that it makes his litter box less smelly! On top of that, Rock likes it so much he now won't eat anything else that I've found, even people foods. No cat treats, no little cans of wet food, nothing but Nutro. This food is kind of expensive, but worth it to me.
    Last edited by queenb; 05-04-2007 at 09:37 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Miss Kitty: Glad that Mr. Tootles is doing well!

QueenB: Rocky sounds like a wonderful pet!

MRD: Brave of you to bathe Bogie - good luck bathing Waldo.

Our boys (or "The bads" as we refer to them) hate baths. We usually bathe them in our upstairs ("The Badroom") tub. It's hilarious. Simon sees Henry getting carted upstairs and he hides under the bed (same place, every time). Henry hides when he sees Simon getting hauled off for a bath too - but he hides in many different places and we actually have to look for him. They are getting baths this weekend and I may try to take some pictures of the mayhem. Henry howls and acts like we are trying to kill him. Simon shakes like a leaf. Happy weekend!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread