+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Me, too, Uncle David.
    The pics almost make me wish I had a Mastiff. Almost.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2365321;
    Doxie, I am the referee here too. Before Waldo, the other two wouldn't touch an ice cube if they were in the Sahara. Now that Waldo will grab one when I drop one on the floor (everytime I get ice it seems), they now fight over it.
    Same with the bones and toys and they each have a food bowl, but the little ones stand and watch Waldo eat out of his with a very put out look on their face. Their bowls are full with the SAME food, but NO, they must eat what's in his as it has to be better.
    They are all so jealous of each other. It's like watching 2 year olds sometimes.
    They do like to fight over toys and food. My two have to have some of their food mixed with the other's food just so they'll eat. Buddy gets 1/4 cup of puppy food and D.Bo gets a 1/4 cup of weight maintenance food. I just have to put the opposite on top so they think they are getting the other's food. Silly dogs!

Oh Happy Day! So many photos of wonderful dogs, and kitties; big and small, and handsome and cute! All with great personalities! What a joy to see them cuddle together too! Thank you everyone for posting!
    ------------

Mr. Tootles has a vet appointment tomorrow morning for one of his shots that I have been negligent in giving hime last year. He knows somethings up. His cat carrier is upstairs, vaccumed with a fresh blankey. I'm sure I'll hear about his new weight gain from the vet.

And I need to get a letter that Tootles was fixed and then get him registered. The pound is going crazy and fining people $250 if their pets aren't registered. And they are planning on walking around private neighborhoods too...not just punishing loose animals they pick up anymore. Like the pets in peoples homes and on leashes are the problem. Sigh.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2366331;
    Oh Happy Day! So many photos of wonderful dogs, and kitties; big and small, and handsome and cute! All with great personalities! What a joy to see them cuddle together too! Thank you everyone for posting!
    ------------

Mr. Tootles has a vet appointment tomorrow morning for one of his shots that I have been negligent in giving hime last year. He knows somethings up. His cat carrier is upstairs, vaccumed with a fresh blankey. I'm sure I'll hear about his new weight gain from the vet.

And I need to get a letter that Tootles was fixed and then get him registered. The pound is going crazy and fining people $250 if their pets aren't registered. And they are planning on walking around private neighborhoods too...not just punishing loose animals they pick up anymore. Like the pets in peoples homes and on leashes are the problem. Sigh.
    Hope the vet visit goes ok.
    Tonight we try to bathe Waldo again. I am hoping that something happens before hubby gets home so I don't have to help. Last time was AWFUL.
    But he's starting to smell and needs a bath. (Waldo, not my husband. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2367712;
    But he's starting to smell and needs a bath. (Waldo, not my husband. )
    I just figured it being Friday maybe it was time for the weekly bath.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2367715;
    I just figured it being Friday maybe it was time for the weekly bath.
    No, hubby bathes on Saturdays.

Had to bathe Bogie yesterday as Waldo peed on him. Big, Dumb and Happy does not realize he is big. He thinks he can pee where Bogie pees and he's MUCH taller than Bogie. Bogie was not amused either.

I'll try to take pictures today of the bath event. If its anything like last time, its worthy of an Amer. Funniest Video segment.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2367790;
    No, hubby bathes on Saturdays.

Had to bathe Bogie yesterday as Waldo peed on him. Big, Dumb and Happy does not realize he is big. He thinks he can pee where Bogie pees and he's MUCH taller than Bogie. Bogie was not amused either.

I'll try to take pictures today of the bath event. If its anything like last time, its worthy of an Amer. Funniest Video segment.
    Oscar the Auxillary, my temporary, had a Waldo moment. He just HAD to know what Gustav was marking, so he stuck his nose right in there while Gustav was still relieving himself. Undaunted, Oscar pulled his head out and started marking the same spot while Gustav is STILL going. Oscar's aim wasn't too good, and he ended up going on Gustav's front leg. I distracted Oscar long enough for Gustav to zip up, and then Oscar went back to the same spot, and promptly peed all over his own front leg. We went down to the pond after that

Oscar's time with me is coming to a close. As it stands now, I will transfer him to his foster family on Sunday He's been a good guest, and he will be a great friend for somebody. Still, I'm going to miss him
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2367819;
    Oscar the Auxillary, my temporary, had a Waldo moment. He just HAD to know what Gustav was marking, so he stuck his nose right in there while Gustav was still relieving himself. Undaunted, Oscar pulled his head out and started marking the same spot while Gustav is STILL going. Oscar's aim wasn't too good, and he ended up going on Gustav's front leg. I distracted Oscar long enough for Gustav to zip up, and then Oscar went back to the same spot, and promptly peed all over his own front leg. We went down to the pond after that

Oscar's time with me is coming to a close. As it stands now, I will transfer him to his foster family on Sunday He's been a good guest, and he will be a great friend for somebody. Still, I'm going to miss him
    Bogie has not mastered the act of relieving himself on a hill and routinely manages to get his own front leg in the process. He's a born and bred flatlander and the hill just defeats him.

I am picturing Oscar and Gustav. I didn't know you had a temp. dog Newf. I would become way too attached and be extremely upset to have to pass the dog on to someone else.

Speaking of hills, Bogie and Waldo were tearing around the yard playing the doggie version of tag and both managed to lose footing at the top of the hill and both came rolling down together in a tumble of legs and fur. Then both stood up and looked around as if to say: "I meant to do that". It was so funny. I am easily amused with animals. I could watch them all day instead of the tv. Talk about the ultimate reality show!

My brother had the craziest poodle (neurotic, poor thing) that was rescued. It lived a long and happy life until last month, and died at the age of 17 years old. The craziest thing she did, and I wish we got it on video, was so odd that no one would believe it until they witnessed it. She was a very thin, small dog and when she relieved herself, she stood on her front legs ONLY, with both back legs in a pike position, up in the air. I have never seen anything like it.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2367846;
    I am picturing Oscar and Gustav. I didn't know you had a temp. dog Newf. I would become way too attached and be extremely upset to have to pass the dog on to someone else.
    I have a friend who decided a few years ago to "foster" a Red-Cross puppy. These are the dogs that you raise for about a year to be companions for people with disabilities. It sounded like such a fantastic idea for two reasons: 1) the obvious reason of helping with such a worthwhile cause; and 2) I was undecided as to whether or not I actually wanted a puppy of my own. I figured I could see what I was getting into and if it wasn't for me, I knew it was only a temporary situation that would eventually end.

Fortunately for my tender heart, my friend convinced me to wait, and just to help her with her puppy. It takes a lot of patience and work to not only raise these dogs, but to give them the kind of training the organization recommends at that level. I lived about two blocks away from her so I got to be the favorite "aunt"! It was a great experience, but when it came time to return the puppy for the next level of training, it was absolutely heartbreaking. We had both become so attached to this little guy - who by that time (a blonde lab) wasn't so little anymore! - it was very hard to let go. Even knowing it was for a good cause didn't ease the pain much. It was, of course, worse for my friend. But she got over it by "fostering" another puppy shortly after that, and she does it in rotation to this day! It works for her, but I knew I couldn't do it.

I went to the animal shelter within a month after the first pup left us and brought home my first dog, a lovable, huggable, dopey Golden Retriever named Eric the Red. We adopted our second dog, a large-breed mutt named Hitch - he had been kicked by a horse and had a little "hitch in his get-up" -about a year after that. They're both wonderful additions to our family and I am lucky to have them.

+ Reply to Thread