+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1318Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

mrd My parents have some friends who actually drove from Florida to Colorado to get a puppy from a breeder. They named her Daisy (Driving Miss Daisy... I'm sure they had time enough on the return road trip to come up with that name). Cute dog, but I agree with you - there are plenty of local dogs who need good homes.

katgib13 I love dachshunds. Our Henry (the one in my avatar) is a rescue too and he's the best dog that I have ever had. He's a dox/beagle mix but he has all of the cute dachshund traits (sleeping, eating, chewing). Don't worry too much about your dog going deaf. Our other dog is deaf and it's really not that much of a problem (he never really "listened" to us anyway). Simon no longer barks at thunder or fireworks (because he cannot hear them) and we have noticed that he only barks when he SEES Henry barking.

Our vet told us that hearing aids are now available for dogs. Hmmm.... I'm saying NO. Our dogs hate baths and trips to the vet for shots and getting their nails clipped. I can't imagine trying to adjust a hearing aid (or worse - replacing the hearing aid batteries!).
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2356745;
    I was amazed to find out people are willing to travel for certain pets. Last year I met a couple in the Atlanta airport that had flown to Florida for the day and were on their way back, as they had picked up a lab puppy in Florida from a specific breeder.
    I love my dogs, but I am not spending that kind of money on one.
    It doesn't amaze me. My then-wife and I made two 1700 mile (round trip) trips to Minnesota to get the Newfs. I'd do it again, too, to get another of her pups.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Took my sweet, oldest kitty to the vet for a weight check yesterday. We have a soft carrier that opens on 2 sides. I put her in through the top opening, and off we went; of course she protested, but not much. After arriving at the vet, our name was called and, as she was being taken back...somebody noticed that the opening side on the end was open. This cat, not at any time, tried to get out of that carrier, even though she was not happy about being in it. When I think that I could have dumped my sweetie out on her head...well, I've been apologizing since we left the vet! She is the most laid back kitty I've ever had! By the way, she's gained .06 of a pound, which is a good thing since my demon stalker cat had intimidated 3 pounds off her in a year!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2356820;
    mrd katgib13 Don't worry too much about your dog going deaf. Our other dog is deaf and it's really not that much of a problem (he never really "listened" to us anyway). Simon no longer barks at thunder or fireworks (because he cannot hear them) and we have noticed that he only barks when he SEES Henry barking.
    I wouldn't worry if she was just going deaf, but eventually her cataracts are also going to severely impair her eyesight, as well. I don't see how she could function with both senses gone. It's a wait and see kind of thing for me. If/when that does happen, I'll see how she deals with it. Dogs are amazing, so I guess it would be possible for her to hear with vibrations and see with her nose. I just won't let her suffer. She is a great little dog, though. She's my little cuddle buddy.

prhoshay: Glad to hear your little special furball is doing better and gaining some weight!

One of the puppies that was at the adoption day at petsmart was deaf. He was just a puppy. But he was so sweet. I'm sure you could train him someway so he knew what you would be saying.

My aunt's cat was blind but knew every inch of the house. It didn't stop her one bit from complaning if her food dish was empty.

Many people here will fly to the States to get a particular breed of kitty. Sometimes it's because of allergies. They're also able to do it because they don't have children and so their pets are their children so money is no object.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Ok. This is a big step for me. I've never posted pic's before but I think I've got it figured out.

The big girl is a mastiff. Her name is Harmony. We just adopted her from mastiff rescue. She is such a sweetheart. I will never own another breed of dog again unless it is a mastiff. Her former owner, an elderly lady never took her on walks. So we've started do that and she stays right by my side, even off her leash.

This is Harmony and our cat, Herman sleeping together.

This is Travlin'Jack, smart as a whip but oh so spoiled.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Beautiful family you've got there livin'.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Very cute livin4reality I think our dogs look quite a bit alike! Here is a picture of our Mastiff putting up with the little dog waking her up! This is the first Mastiff we have owned, and she is a gentle giant....love her to bits. Our little dog is totally the boss, and it is funny to watch.

Thanks all!

Canuckinchile- Ours is like that too. I think part of it is that mastiff's are so easygoing. Travlin Jack will take hold of Harmony's leash and "walk" her home. So funny to see.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Great Pictures! I love Travlin Jack's little hat Our dogs are about equal in size (Henry is longer) and they don't really get along together very well. Maybe I need a Mastiff for them to play with! We give them each identical bones, toys, etc.. but they pick one and fight over it. Henry will always "give in" and let Simon have the bone. Then, Simon will hide the bone and go to sleep. That's when Henry hunts down the bone and eats it. I am constantly the referee!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread