+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

My cat woke me up this morning with loud banging in the kitchen. I got up to check on what he was doing and he was tracking something in the laundry room. He was doing the same thing yesterday so I just let him do his thing. Then I heard even more banging, and when I went back into the kitchen he had a MOUSE!!! I just moved to Kansas, and I NEVER saw a mouse in Arizona, so I was horrified.

Naturally, I ran into the bedroom, screamed, turned on the light to get the hubby up, and screamed some more. By the time he got up to go deal with it, the mouse got away. My cat is so inexperienced at this kind of thing, he had it by the tail and couldn't hold it, and the other cat was trying to get it. So now there is a mouse roaming my kitchen! I'm proud of my kitties, but I can't help thinking they're shirking their duty by not standing watch to catch it again.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Don't worry about it, corprip. Those cats will snif out that mouse. If I were a betting person, I'd place my money on the cats. Cats = 1; mouse = dead.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2324815;
    My cat woke me up this morning with loud banging in the kitchen. I got up to check on what he was doing and he was tracking something in the laundry room. He was doing the same thing yesterday so I just let him do his thing. Then I heard even more banging, and when I went back into the kitchen he had a MOUSE!!! I just moved to Kansas, and I NEVER saw a mouse in Arizona, so I was horrified.

Naturally, I ran into the bedroom, screamed, turned on the light to get the hubby up, and screamed some more. By the time he got up to go deal with it, the mouse got away. My cat is so inexperienced at this kind of thing, he had it by the tail and couldn't hold it, and the other cat was trying to get it. So now there is a mouse roaming my kitchen! I'm proud of my kitties, but I can't help thinking they're shirking their duty by not standing watch to catch it again.

They may just be playing with it...

My cat has been declawed for many years. She typically stays inside, but ocassionally she wants to get out and stalk the yard, so I let her. One day, she was banging on the back door to be let in, and when I opened the door, she pranced in and promptly spit out a tiny grey furball. She had brought dead animals to the porch before, leaving them there as "gifts" for me to find, but never had she brought one inside. Then, to my horror, the furball moved. She was so busy meowing and twining her way betwen my legs in her moment of proud satisfaction (I can only assume...) that she didn't see the little mouse twitch, jump up, and scurry off under my fridge! I didn't know what to do, but I thought she would catch it when it ventured out later from under the fridge... I was partially right. She "caught" it alright. Repeatedly, and in the middle of the night for many days in a row. I would hear her making this strange sound, a drawn out, low-pitched meow, and then banging and scuttling and more meowing. When I would get up to check on her, she'd almost always have the thing either in her mouth(with tail hanging out, twitching), under her paw, or lying in a frozen near death paralysis of fear between her two front paws. She wasn't breaking skin with her teeth, and she was declawed so when she swatted it, it just sent the thing flying. She "played" with it for about three or four days without killing it. Finally, I had had enough and set a trap. She sulked for a week afterward... I killed her playmate.

Hehe.. good story remote goddess. I was wondering if I should try to trap it myself, but I really hate the snapping traps (plus it might be unsafe if my cats get into it). So I might try live trapping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout Mom
    Don't worry about it, corprip. Those cats will snif out that mouse. If I were a betting person, I'd place my money on the cats. Cats = 1; mouse = dead.
    Oh, I hope so.

I am quite concerned with the pet food recall.
    It seems like every day they add another brand or flavor to the list.

Even though what I feed my cats is not on any list presently I am almost ready to throw it all out and either buy a new batch (which I would assume to be safe-but who knows!?!?) Or buy a brand that Menu Foods doesn't manufacture.

I guess the other option is to feed them homemade.

I wonder how long before they can give an all clear on the food?

I'm not sure if you have a Whole Foods or Wild Oats in your area, but their brand isn't made by Menu Foods. It's called Pet Promise, and luckily my cats are food snobs because that's all they eat.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redjdv;2324942;
    I guess the other option is to feed them homemade.
    There are a number of brands out there that are made grain free. Contaminated wheat is the problem. You might want to consider using a grain free product for now.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2324815;

oh nooo

sorry but, this is funny. I'm sure it was not at the time!!
    I can't watch a cat play with a mouse and I don't have the heart for mouse traps....
    I've seen my share of mice but, have almost always had a cat so have not had to worry too much about them. They do like playing with their victims..
    I'm sure every cat owner here has had this happen too
    you come home and there is a dead mouse sitting on your welcome mat or worse, right before you step into your bedroom
    you know how they like giving us presents.
    Corprip if your cats don't catch the mouse or mice they will scare them away.
    The mice can smell the cats and will probably move out?
    A good thing to do in the meantime is when you are heading into your kitchen at night and the lights are all off make some noise before you get in there. They are obviously more afraid of us than we are of them.

I turned my pop up toaster on one day and smelled something burning and was like wth? Then I saw a teenie bit of smoke coming up so I went over and pulled the button to pop up my toast and out popped pretty high in the air was a mouse!!
    He was running and squealing away with a little bit of smoke trailing behind him.....I felt kinda bad but, I was thinking well he'll find a new home now!!
    Last edited by JamiLee; 04-11-2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: is it smelt or smelled?

doxie: I'm so glad you are enjoying your little kittens and you have found a home for them. You are so kind to take them in, if only for a little while.

corprip: LOL I could just picture what happened. I'm sure your kitties will have lots of fun honing their hunting and killing skills! I agree with Scoutmom. It won't take long.

remotegoddess: Yes, yes. Play with the mouse, nap, hunt, play, nap, hunt, play.... life is good!

JamiLee: A mouse in your toaster! Ewwwww! Gross.
    -------------

I've tried calling the Royal Canin 1-800 and it's busy. No kidding. I may stop into my vets just to ask but I'm sure they only know what we know as well.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fanatic

Do you think Raz the spaz is trying to tell me something!

So I took him to the vet for shots and nail clipping which he later let me know that he was not pleased about but he is a healthy 14.9 lbs!

But he got a catnip treat yes there is a dog gate and clothes rack blocking my sliding doors to the balcony so that he doesn't try and go thru the screen! Pidgeons! The newspaper is there so he doesn't get his paws caught in the grating of the gate which he has a habit of doing at 3:00am. He has big feet.

And now all is well with the world as he can back to ignoring me!

+ Reply to Thread