+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1136Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Benefits of city living

First of all, beautiful photos, Newf!

Second of all, ew. I'm squicked out. I like having birdfeeders, I always have. The cats like it too, because they both enjoy chattering at birds outside. I've always had to deal with squirrel scavengers, but whatever, it's not that big of a deal. But this, THIS is a big freaking deal.

I've worked with rats in labs, and they're actually quite nice and very smart. And I don't care, and I in no way want them hanging out on my porch. GAH!

He's all sassy. It turned out blurry, but I have another picture of him posing for me. Sigh.

Re: For animal lovers

My mom lives in a gated community and they actually requested (well...made them) take down all the bird feeders since it was attracting rats.

I love the pics Newf...especially the well coiffed Shih Tzu. Mine is a little scruffier than that, but we still love her tons.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Really neat pictures, Newf. Almost makes me wish I was a dog person.

I can't remember when the last time I had a chattering cat...maybe when I was in high school. I love to hear them chatter. I even learned how to do it, but I can't them going to save myself! They will snap to attention, but that is as far as it goes. Boo! Hiss! Why are they determined to spoil my enjoyment??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

prhosay, if you decide to get another cat, get a Siamese. They're very talky. Rocky probably have 5 different meows for different ocasions, and also trills, peeps, chirps, etc. I'm trying to encourage the one where he sounds like he's saying "ma-ma". Some of the rest of the time I ignore him bad as I hate it, because they can get too vocal if you encourage it too much.

Newfherder
    thanks for the show pics. I've always wanted to attend a dog or cat show, but working nights on the weekends kind of kills that idea.
    Doxie, a bit late but what cute kitties! I like the way the white faced one looks like he's smilikng in the last picture.
    Amanda, I'm kinda squicked out (love the new word!) too. Makes me a weeny bit less pissy about the feral cat that frequents my bird feeder area.

I'm really enjoying my Rocky kitty, and wouldn't trade him for anything. He is now officially spoiled rotten. I don't think he's as old as they said, because I can be entertained for hours playing with him (squeeky ball, stuffed birdie, and especially LASER POINTER!)
    The rescue place called me and I'm going tonight to meet 2 other kitties that i might like--they allow a free replacement if one doesn't work out (CocO). I'll be more careful this time about picking. After all, Rocky isn't so spoiled he needs 4 litter boxes, 2 food dishes, 2 cat beds, and all the love to himself! Besides, he seems awful lonely when I get home from work, and I couldn't beleive how happy he was to see me aftern i went out of town for a couple of days. Keeping my fingers crossed one of the 3 declawed cats they have works for me.

Here's a picture of Rocky, Chairman Meow of the B-hive. I was washing his cat bed binky blanket, so he came stomping in here, and took my chair to teach me a lesson.
    Last edited by queenb; 04-10-2007 at 06:24 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

PGM: Always nice to see Buddy enjoying his fishies!

Newf: Great photos. I love the one of the big Newf looking bored on the table. What a big luvable guy!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

I love it when everyone posts pictures (well maybe not the rat one. ).

We had a shih tzu like that. Well she only looked like that after she had been to the groomers. She used to bite my husband (then my boyfriend) on the ankles when he would come over. She hated men for some reason. He wasn't the only one to get the ankle biting attention from her. She only tolerated my dad. My grandmother spoiled her and the two of them had "cocktail" hour everyday at 5 o'clock. Scotch for my grandmother and cheese and crackers for the dog. And the dog KNEW when it was 5 pm too!!!

I love the Newfs, Newf. What fantastic looking dogs. I could very easily end up being the dog lady that everyone avoids. Fortunately my husband keeps me in check, or we'd have a herd of dogs. Or would that be pack. A lot anyway.

Good luck Queenb on the new cat. Isn't it great to get such a greeting when you come home, even if its a run to the store, mine act like I've been gone for months, they are so happy to see me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What a nice looking bunch of animals (except for Amanda's ).

Another recall! MenuFoods lies! ROYAL CANIN has recalled it's canned cat food, Medi-Cal which is only prescribed by veterinarians. My vet had prescribed it years ago for my beloved Snowflake. I feed my kitties the dry Royal Canin. It is supposed to be safe but now I'm concerned. My kitties seem ok though. I'll bet my vet and her collegues have just had a major hissy fit!

Royal Canin Recalls Wet Cat Food Made by MenuFoods

April 10 (Bloomberg) -- Royal Canin Canada, a unit of Mars Inc., said it's recalling a brand of canned cat food made by Menu Foods Ltd. that contains contaminated wheat gluten linked to the deaths of at least 16 animals.

The company's Medi-Cal Feline Dissolution Formula, made at an Ontario plant, is being withdrawn from veterinary clinics, the Guelph, Ontario-based unit said today in a statement. The affected food isn't sold through supermarkets or pet-food stores and must be prescribed by veterinarians.

Menu Foods, based in the Toronto-suburb of Streetsville, recalled 60 million cans and pouches of wet pet food on March 16 that was subsequently found to contain wheat gluten contaminated with melamine, a substance used to make plastic utensils and fertilizer. Royal Canin is at least the seventh company to recall pet food made with suspect wheat gluten obtained from China.

Royal Canin said it was ``completely shocked'' to learn that the wheat gluten had made its way to Canada, after being assured by Menu Foods that it was distributed only in the U.S.

Menu Foods spokesman Sam Bornstein didn't immediately return a telephone call to Bloomberg News.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said last week that 16 pets died from eating food with melamine, and that the official count could rise as the agency investigates.

Menu Foods Income Fund, which owns Menu Foods Ltd., fell 16 cents, or 3.6 percent, to C$4.30 by 4:10 p.m. on the Toronto Stock Exchange. They have dropped 42 percent since March 15, the day before the recall.
    Bloomberg.com: Canada

Pet owners who are feeding the recalled product to their cats and have questions are asked to call Royal Canin at 1-866-494-6844.
    CTV.ca | Medi-Cal vet-prescribed cat food added to recalls
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Queenb, I love Siamese cats, and yours is beautiful!

Our rescued kitties are hilarious. They are eating like hogs and they meow and paw at each other to get out of the crate. We took them to the vet on Monday and the woman who works at the front desk wants to adopt them. If that doesn't work out, we are taking them to a no-kill shelter this weekend. We're having a blast with them, though, in the meantime!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread