+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

We got a new fish tank!

Here it is and a couple of shots of the fish.

The dogs are mesmerized!

Very cool PG! What kind of fish do you have? My son has one Tiger Oscar (on account of they eat everything!). I love looking at fish tanks and am seriously considering getting one for myself with more ornamental type fish.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2310772;
    Very cool PG! What kind of fish do you have? My son has one Tiger Oscar (on account of they eat everything!). I love looking at fish tanks and am seriously considering getting one for myself with more ornamental type fish.
    They are all gold fish and we have an algae eater. The big black one is a blackmoor goldfish, and there is a regular goldfish that was white and gold, and then we just got 2 calico looking goldfish with gold, white, and black but I dont' know the name of them. We tried a baby catfish but he didnt' make it. It is SOOOOO soothing to have a tank. It really is very nice to sit and watch the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll;2310702;
    and Curly my old Cat (the reason you never pick the 'prettiest' Kitty from the pet store), but isn't she pretty?
    You knew I would go SHE IS SO PRETTY.... Looks like my Mona, rest her soul.

PGM35, thats a beautiful tank and fish(es) and the bet I dogs are thinking "entertainment"
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Too cute for words M_shell!

Well, I took the girls to the vet today for their kitty to adult check-up, and to start a record of their progress as I transition them into a different diet. I’m pleased to report Greta and Ella are in perfect shape. They are both approximately 8lbs, their teeth and gums are in excellent condition, their vitals are spot on and they are well adjusted and happy girls.

Following the examination I had a long conversation with the vet regarding changing their diet. My vet is a proponent of an all-dry diet, which pleases me no end. If someone is going to monitor the girls through this change in diet I would rather have a skeptic. She’ll be looking for every reason she can to prove a dominantly meat or raw meat diet doesn’t work.

Having said that, she believes I have properly researched the issues. She’s confident I understand what she believes to be the inherent pitfalls, and have prepared a course of action that will safeguard the girl’s health. She even helped me secure products to aid in the success of the program.

Tomorrow starts what I hope will be a 2 week transition from dry to wet food. I’ll keep you all posted.

ETA: Love the pic of the dogs watching the fish PGM.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Very good news there Uncle David, and best of everything switching over the foods.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2310886;
    You knew I would go SHE IS SO PRETTY.... Looks like my Mona, rest her soul.

PGM35, thats a beautiful tank and fish(es) and the bet I dogs are thinking "entertainment"
    Thanks!

Also - thanks to Uncle David as well - I Love that picture too! It's like they are thinking - "there are THINGS moving around in THERE!"

Happy Easter from Henry and Simon. Simon chewed up his bunny ears!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

This reminded me of Uncle David - just saw the article.

Pet owners making own dog and cat food - Yahoo! News

ATLANTA - Some dog and cat owners frightened by a contamination scare are forsaking the pet-food aisle and grinding up meat in their own kitchens instead. Sales of pet food recipe books have also shot up since the nationwide pet-food recall began two weeks ago.

Amy Parish, 40, stopped giving her two aging chow chows canned food. Instead, Parish mixes dry food with a mash of chicken, rice, oatmeal and cottage cheese that she prepares twice a week.

"I'm very suspicious of any large-brand manufactured dog food," said Parish, who lives in the Atlanta suburb of Tucker.

But veterinarians warn that making balanced meals for pets can be complicated and should only be a temporary remedy until the scare passes.

Nearly 100 store and major-brand pet foods were recalled by manufacturer Menu Foods Inc. on March 16. Three other companies have recalled some foods since then.

Food and Drug Administration testing found that wheat gluten imported from China was contaminated with a chemical used in the manufacture of plastics. The FDA has confirmed about 15 pet deaths, and anecdotal reports suggest hundreds of cats and dogs may have died.

Some pet owners are not taking any chances.

After Hills Pet Nutrition Inc. recalled one of its cat products, John Slavens, 41, of San Diego, started making homemade food for his two border collies.

He spent five hours in the kitchen Sunday, grinding beef and boiling potatoes and pasta for a week's worth of stew, supplemented with an all-in-one vitamin-mineral powder.

"These dogs are my family," Slavens said.

The FDA and the American Veterinary Medical Association are urging pet owners to switch brands if they are worried. The veterinarian group also warned that many common foods are not safe for pets, including salt, garlic, onions, grapes and chocolate.

Making pet food at home is "kind of like canning: You have to think about bacterial contamination. And how do you make sure it's nutritionally appropriate and balanced for the animal?" said FDA spokeswoman Julie Zawisza. She added: "We wouldn't object. We'd say be knowledgeable about what you need."

On Amazon.com, the cookbook "Real Food for Dogs" moved into the list of top 200 best-sellers this week. Other authors were finding instant success, too.

Dr. Donald Strombeck said the Amazon.com sales rank for his book "Home-Prepared Dog & Cat Diets: The Healthful Alternative" jumped from below 60,000 to about 1,000 after the recalls.

The retired professor of veterinary nutrition at the University of California, Davis, challenged the common assertion that owners should not feed their pets table food.

When he began practicing veterinary medicine in the 1950s, he said, most pet owners fed their pets scraps from the table, keeping the risk of contamination low.

"The pet food industry doesn't want people competing with them," Strombeck said. "An animal can basically eat the same things we eat. They're not going to develop a deficiency."

Robert Van Sickle, co-owner of the Polka Dog Bakery in Boston, said he has received many inquiries from customers on advice for making their own dog food. For his German short-haired pointer, Van Sickle blends carrots, spinach, salmon oil, apple cider vinegar and whatever meat is in his freezer.

"What this scare has shown me is that it's amazing how many people don't know what they are feeding their dogs," he said. "The bright side, for me, as someone interested in animal wellness, is people are asking questions now."

___

M_shelll: Love all your photos! Phender is just so sweeet and tiny next to Rocko. Robo, Curly, Bruno and Little Man - what a nice family!

PGM35: That is a super new tank. I think fish are soothing to watch. Fish never seem to be in a hurry. When I was in the hospital on oxygen they hooked up the water to the oxygen so it had a lot of humidity and it was warm. I would hear the bubbling behind my head and I honestly thought it sounded like a fish tank. It was very soothing. (I was on drugs, mind you).

doxie: How cute are your Easter doggies! I bought a pair of ears just like that but hey were too big for the kitties. Guess I'll be wearing them on Sunday.

UncleDavid: I'm so happy the girls got a clean bill of health! You are such a good Dad to them. Thanks for keeping us posted on their new food changeover.

PGM35: Great article about preparing your own pet food. Nice to see so many pet owners being proaactive about what they are now going to feed their beloved pets.
    Last edited by misskitty; 04-04-2007 at 01:05 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread