+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dearkate;2304354;
    There was discussion going on in there about wet food being healthier than dry food...
    Until I began to respond to this post, I had never given the girls wet food. For the first year of their life, with the exception of their mother's milk, they have only eaten dry food and the occasional treat of dried Bonita flakes. I was fully prepared to post a link to the all-natural dry cat food I feed the girls. (All Natural Cat Food)

Then I decided to do some investigating. WOW! Did I get an eye opener? I assumed Iíd find several sites telling me I should feed the girls only dry food. However, most of the sites I visited were ambivalent about the debate. With one noted exception...

Feline Nutrition

You have got to check out this site! Itís quite long so you might want to start at the bottom in the section ďDry Food vs Canned Food. Which is really better?Ē When I get home I intend to read this site from top to bottom. Iím not sure right now, but if the rest of the site makes as much sense as the last section, I may have to do a 180 and abandon the dry food altogether.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Well I personally think a balance between dry & wet is the best, because all wet food can cause dental problems among other things. All dry food can sometimes cause poopy problems because some cats don't always drink as much water as they should. Joeys Doctor is fine with what he gets and so am I. If she had problems with what I feed him she would tell me. I have a good, no make that excellent relationship with Dr. Bennetts.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Hey fellow pet lovers!
    I'm doing a Walk for Animals in May in the Twin Cities. The walk is to benefit the Humane Society and it is the largest one for animals in the country! I'm trying to raise as much money as I can to support this wonderful cause.
    I adopted my own dog, Apolo, a year ago from a rescue organization. He was neglected and we suspect also hit at least once. He'd never been on a walk or even played with toys before I got him! He's now a happy, loving dog and I want to do my part to help all of the other animals just like him.
    If any of you are interested in donating to this amazing cause, please visit my sponsorship page on the Humane Society's site. All donations go directly to the Humane Society and are 100% tax-deductible.
    Thank you so much!!!
    http://events.animalhumanesociety.org/goto/sara

I've posted the most recent news release under C.E.

Purina in U.S. recalls Alpo in widening pet food scare

But link is here: http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...et-deaths.html

These Canadian wet and dry products are OK:
    Pro Plan.
    Friskies.
    Purina ONE.
    Fancy Feast.
    Dog Chow.
    Purina Veterinarian Diets.
    Cat Chow.
    All Purina Branded Treats.
    Beneful.
    Alpo.
    Last edited by misskitty; 03-31-2007 at 04:02 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2304630;
    Until I began to respond to this post, I had never given the girls wet food.
    Well, I have completed my research, and I am convinced I'm going to have the girls make the switch to not only wet food, but 'raw' food. It's more expensive, less convenient, but after much deliberation, reading and discussion I feel this is the best course of action.

Here are some of the sites that helped me arrive at my decision...

Feeding Your Cat... Know the Basics

Feline Nutrition

The Original Holisticat (tm) FAQ's - Raw Recipes

Before You Try a Raw Food Diet for Your Cat - What You Need to Know

Apparently, it's difficult to get the cats to make the transition from dry to wet food. Well, not in this house. I gave the girls a half can of Wellness chicken 'wet' food each and they attacked it. Tomorrow we try the raw food, and then some freeze dried food.

In order to deal with the dental issue I'm going to try to manually brush the girls teeth. (Anyone have some attack dog gloves they aren't using?) Iím also going to try to get the girls to gnaw on some raw or partially cooked bones. This not only helps with the dental hygiene, but also provides additional calcium to their diet.

Tomorrow, Iím also going to take the girls to the vet for a check-up. This way we can monitor the effects over time.

Iíll keep you all posted with the progress.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Wow. Big decision UncleDavid. I'm glad you'll keep tabs on them and please keep us posted how they like the change. You are a very responsible kitty Dad!

Some dog and cat owners here are going to organic food; dry and wet. They're just fed up about what to do and what to trust anymore.

My kitties have been on Royal Canin and because of Mr. Tootles allergies to a lot of food I'm scared to make any big changes. It seems Royal Canin has not been mentioned.

Today the kitts got a brief run outside (-5C)Brrr, and then roll around in some catnip. Mr. Tootles almost got the plastic empty container stuck on his face. Hilarious. They're sleeping like rocks right now. Funny, how that catnip seems to just knock the socks off of them.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

We are four households of cats in our family - equaling nine cats - and many many others in past lives. Each of us uses something different because of our collective past experiences - all of us use premium cat foods. The cost is balanced by lower vet bills.

My daughter has a highly alergic, highly overweight cat who gets prescription dry diet (not Hills) without corn or wheat or rice and is doing better (it has taken four years)

Our "normal" cats eat Natural Balance food. It has no wheat gluten and the top four ingredients are real protein - not chicken beaks and toes. The other household of "normal" cats (kittens with lots of baby problems from a shelter but are now big health males) have always been on Evo Food (raw diet).

I use Hills' Prescription diet k/d for my older cats. I have used it in the past and eliminated any sign of kidney problems. I know it is one of the prescription diets that work. However, I know there are serveral other good products on the market.

Because of our experiences, we are always looking for foods - both can and dry that have the highest protein content. And you have to keep checking, because the formulas change.
    When I was looking for food for my overweight female, I found that some Fancy Feast cans had the highest protein with the lowest fat content. I still use it although that cat died several years ago.

My daughter feeds her boys pumpkin. They love it! It was suggested for a diaherea problen as kittens, and they wait impatiently for their pumpkin each night. Added fiber - added moisture. Anyone heard of that??

For real weight loss, my vet has said that measured canned food is best - lower carbs. And then of course - keep your cat indoors.

I know every vet has a different opinion and mine changes his mind frequently. I just take the bits from experience and what works. I know I will never feed my animals food with wheat glutin again, whether it is ok or not. No gravy.
    I no longer take it at face value that any brand of catfood is good - including Iams, Eukaneuba, Hills, Purina - without checking out the labeling and the websites. They change and you just cannot tell.

As gabriel said - I think you do what works best for your cat. Thanks Uncle David for the websites - very interesting
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

My daughter feeds her boys pumpkin. They love it! It was suggested for a diaherea problen as kittens, and they wait impatiently for their pumpkin each night. Added fiber - added moisture. Anyone heard of that??
    My vet suggested pumpkin when I was trying to put some weight on one of my Newfs. One thing lead to another, and I never did try it, but I have heard of it.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2307834;
    My vet suggested pumpkin when I was trying to put some weight on one of my Newfs. One thing lead to another, and I never did try it, but I have heard of it.

I read it in Dog Fancy (about it helping diaherea)...so when ever I have that problem im definately gonna try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jelle;2307537;
    We are four households of cats in our family - equaling nine cats - and many many others in past lives. Each of us uses something different because of our collective past experiences - all of us use premium cat foods. The cost is balanced by lower vet bills.

My daughter has a highly alergic, highly overweight cat who gets prescription dry diet (not Hills) without corn or wheat or rice and is doing better (it has taken four years)

Our "normal" cats eat Natural Balance food. It has no wheat gluten and the top four ingredients are real protein - not chicken beaks and toes. The other household of "normal" cats (kittens with lots of baby problems from a shelter but are now big health males) have always been on Evo Food (raw diet).

I use Hills' Prescription diet k/d for my older cats. I have used it in the past and eliminated any sign of kidney problems. I know it is one of the prescription diets that work. However, I know there are serveral other good products on the market.

Because of our experiences, we are always looking for foods - both can and dry that have the highest protein content. And you have to keep checking, because the formulas change.
    When I was looking for food for my overweight female, I found that some Fancy Feast cans had the highest protein with the lowest fat content. I still use it although that cat died several years ago.

For real weight loss, my vet has said that measured canned food is best - lower carbs. And then of course - keep your cat indoors.

I know every vet has a different opinion and mine changes his mind frequently. I just take the bits from experience and what works. I know I will never feed my animals food with wheat glutin again, whether it is ok or not. No gravy.
    I no longer take it at face value that any brand of catfood is good - including Iams, Eukaneuba, Hills, Purina - without checking out the labeling and the websites. They change and you just cannot tell.

As gabriel said - I think you do what works best for your cat. Thanks Uncle David for the websites - very interesting

We recently found out that our cat has allergies and is over weight (she weighs like 15 pounds) so our vet told us to feed her Hills Science Diet Allergy (kinda pricey but its worth it) and that she can only have a cup of food a day...the cat has felt much better and has lost a pound. The vet said that a safe weight loss for a cat is about 3 pounds a year. So were doing better. You can only get the food at a Vets office if they carry it that is.

+ Reply to Thread