+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1420Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

JamiLee - will you have to bottle feed all the kittens? Wow! I applaud you for your caring and efforts. I hope all will be well.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Good for you Newf. I can't imagine having THREE large dogs to take care of...especially long-haired ones. So sad he has epilepsy...my in-laws had a dog with epilepsy. Sadly, it shortened her life significantly as she just seemed to grow old so fast.

Oh, and ya gotta love dogs...I'm sure Oscar thought the kibble was much more desireable if it belonged to another dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2302218;
    That's Uncle David that was discussing picking his cats up that way.
    Ooopsy. Uncle him, Unkleyou,.... meowza!
    My mistake. So sorry. I was speed-posting.

Newfherder: Congrats on your new "baby" Oscar! I hope that Bjorn and Gustav find him as loveable as you do! What a big heart you have to take in another gentle giant!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quotes from a flyer that was attached to our mailbox today:

Poop Patrol

Has your best friend's poop production become an overwhelming force? It is time to give Poop Patrol a call. Noboy does "DOO" like we do.

We will DOO away with your dog's waste and you will never have to scoop again. We DOO offer scheduled maintenance and we DOO ensure that we are professional. We DOO scoop your pet's poop amd we DOO dispose of it ourselves.

The Poop Patrol will, if scheduled, visit your home weekly or monthly.

Let me just add that the rate for two dogs is $50/month for a once a week scooping. I don't think we are going to DOO that.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I know a registered land surveyor who decided that instead of having crap dumped on him all day by his boss, he would start his own pick-up service. The last time I talked to him, he still enjoyed it more than surveying.

Oscar the Rescue is doing OK. He still barks all night when crated (I'm typing this at 4:45 AM my time--God, I need some sleep!!) but when he's with me he lays quietly on the floor. I'd move his crate upstairs to my bedroom, but he is scared to go down flights of stairs (he and Myrosiedog need to form a suppport group ) and since my first floor is also my office, I can't very well set up a make-shift bed near Oscar. There must be some brilliant compromise . . . Maybe I can gate off the kitchen so that he is confined in a larger area. That would at least tell me if the barking is because he's lonely or because he's crated.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Doxie: That service is available here every spring but I DOO not know what the prices are like.

Newf: Couldn't you sleep in your office with Oskar for just a little while. Until he's not so scared to be alone?

JamieLee: I sure hope no news is good news.

FYI everyone: There's an interesting article on what a pet is worth in current events thread. Check it out.
    Last edited by misskitty; 03-30-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: add something I forgot
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Misskitty - I just read the article you posted in the Current Events forum and I came here to ask a question. There was discussion going on in there about wet food being healthier than dry food and something about grains etc.

I've been trying to research this today because a friend told me her vet told her to stay away from foods with corn, grains.

I have had my two adult cats on dry food "Iams - indoor formula" for a long time now and I looked up the ingreidents today and of course there is corn and grains in it. Does anyone have any better recommendations? So I should also switch them to wet food? Is there a healthy wet food out there NOT on the recall list? I am just lost on this. They seem healthy, they are about to turn 4 years old, both indoor cats, one is slightly overweight (will eat his food fast and look for seconds) and one is ideal weight (very finicky, always has leftover food). We are feeding them no more than what the bag suggests for their age, even a little under that (so I have no idea why the bigger cat stays overweight).

My vet told me dry food was better for my dogs because wet food aided in tooth decay. But I have a Min Schnauzer and wet food would stick to the hair around the teeth and I think that's why dry food is better for him. Also, I think corn could be a cause of food allergies in some pets and that may be why it's not recommended (for pets with allergies). I'm not sure about cats though. However just about all dry food has corn it unless you want to start paying a lot for food that doesn't. If my cat gets too fat I'd probably switch him to a reduced calorie. I just don't care for the wet food option too much other than as a way to get them to take pills.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 03-30-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dearkate;2304354;

I have had my two adult cats on dry food "Iams - indoor formula" for a long time now and I looked up the ingreidents today and of course there is corn and grains in it. Does anyone have any better recommendations? So I should also switch them to wet food? Is there a healthy wet food out there NOT on the recall list? I am just lost on this. They seem healthy, they are about to turn 4 years old, both indoor cats, one is slightly overweight (will eat his food fast and look for seconds) and one is ideal weight (very finicky, always has leftover food). We are feeding them no more than what the bag suggests for their age, even a little under that (so I have no idea why the bigger cat stays overweight).
    I had to switch Joey to Iams 5 years ago because it meets the requirements for best least amount of magnesium to keep his urine acidic to prevent crystal formation since he had a blocked urinary tract. I tried other foods that were within the range but he did not like anything else. He is now on indoor hairball & weight control and over the 2 months since Mona died that's all he eats for dry food and he has gone from 16.5 to 15.5 pounds. As for the wet food, he gets a half can (3.2 oz) in the morning of Merricks Ocean Breeze or California Roll because Iams stopped making the Salmon & whatever one that he liked. His doctor says what he gets is fine.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/hills/303_07.html

Hills Pet Nutrition, Inc. Voluntarily Recalls Single Product, Prescription Diet™ m/d™ Feline Dry Food, Only Product Containing Wheat Gluten

Amy Thompson
    785-368-5016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Topeka, KS -- March 30, 2007 -- In accordance with its over-riding commitment to pet health and well-being, Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. is voluntarily recalling Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food from the market. Hill's is taking this precautionary action because during a two-month period in early 2007, wheat gluten for this product was provided by a company that also supplied wheat gluten to Menu Foods. U.S. Food and Drug Administration tests of wheat gluten samples from this period show the presence of a small amount of melamine. Prescription Diet m/d Feline Dry represents less than one half of one percent of all Hill's products.

This is the only product Hill's currently sells in the United States that contains wheat gluten from any supplier. No other Hill's Prescription DietŪ or Science DietŪ products are affected by this voluntary recall. Hill's Science Diet Savory Cuts Feline canned cat foods, manufactured by Menu Foods, were previously withdrawn from the market as a precaution. Together with this earlier withdrawal, less than 1% of all Hill's products have been affected.

The voluntary recall of Hill's Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food involves discontinuation of all retail sales and product retrieval from sellers. This recall does not include Prescription Diet m/d Feline canned food which contains no wheat gluten.

Consumers should stop using this product and return it for a refund. All Hill's products carry a 100 percent guarantee, and consumers can receive a refund for recalled product.

Hill's expects to resume shipment shortly of a reformulated version of this highly beneficial product that will not contain wheat gluten. Please check with your veterinarian for an alternative Prescription Diet until m/d Feline dry is reformulated and made available again.

Following is a list of Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry products included in this recall:

Recalled product

U.S. & Canada UPC

Size

Prescription Diet™ m/d™ Feline dry food

52742 42770
    (all lot numbers)

4 lb. bag

Prescription Diet™ m/d™ Feline dry food

52742 42790
    (all lot numbers)

10 lb. bag

Hill's has been fully cooperating with the FDA since the outset of its investigation and made the decision to voluntarily recall these products in consultation with the FDA. We deeply regret any concern that this has caused our valued customers.

For more information, consumers can contact the company at 1-800-445-5777 or visit www.HillsPet.com for details.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread