+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1385Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2296756;
    pgm35: I was at Petsmart to get more Royal Canine for my kitts and the staff were amazed at how many people are confused about what products are good. Even though the tainted canned food is off shelves, some are refusing to purchase their regular dry cat & dog foods (Ukanuba, Science Diet, Aims, etc.) and plan to buy some cheap store brand.
    Cheap store brands are on the list. Walmart's Ol' Roy and Aldi's Shep Dog Food to name a couple of them.

I bought one pouch of Nutro Lamb Stew (on the list) as a "treat" and was putting a teaspoon of it on my dog's meals for about a week. One lousy pouch ! I feel so bad. If anything happened to her because of that I would be on my way to Menu Foods to force feed them some cuts and gravy !

I'm playing it safe right now and avoiding all canned food and supplementing the dry food with "people" food ... chicken, lean ground beef, rice, orzo and veggies. She had a little hamburger birthday "cake" today.

She goes to the vet on Wednesday for annual heartworm test and check-up and they said they can do a urine and blood test to check kidney function. I'm just playing it safe as even though symptoms usually appear "soon" after eating the tainted food, once there are symptoms, it's more advanced.

I know I'm a little nuts about this, but I just love her to pieces -- and know I don't have to apologize here.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Premium Member
    Uncle David - Thanks for posting that chocolate info. I was going to say the same thing so I'm glad you did. Our first golden retreiver, Luke, got into some Valentine's candy that I had bought for the kids to take to school. He ate a whole bag of Milky-Way fun size candy bars and 1/2 bag of foil wrapped milk chocolate hearts. Other than leaving a trail of red and pink foil in the back yard for a couple of days, it didn't bother him at all. He was about 85 pounds, so that amount of milk chocolate was like nothing to him. At least it was easy to clean up after him for a day or two. Another time he managed to get the lid opened on the garbage can and scarfed down a whole bucket full of Kentucky Fried Chicken bones. Didn't faze him. I had never had a dog who was tall enough to steal things off the counters or get into the garbage so it was a quick lesson for me.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 03-26-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2297305;
    Other than leaving a trail of red and pink foil in the back yard for a couple of days, it didn't bother him at all.
    I dog sit my buddies dog Jellie. The exact same thing happened to him. (it was red and gold foil) After the worry about Jellie's safety, I had a big laugh about the foil trail.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

My dog has some sort of butter fetish. Saturday night we ate at the coffee table so we could watch basketball. After dinner, I went into the kitchen and started cleaning up. Libby used the opportunity to stick both front paws on the coffee table and start licking butter off the butter dish. There was a half a milk chocolate bar sitting right next to it that she didn't even touch. She was bummed when she got busted.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

29 cans, eh? Go to recipes and let us know how you've been using them .
    I can't believe she didn't puke. Boris loves anything fatty, but woe to anyone who let's him have it.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

She has a stomach of iron. You'd think a 10 1/2 pound dog would barf after downing half a stick of butter but no.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Yes, we have to keep all candy up and hidden from my dog. Mo LOVES candy, and especially chocolate. I once bought my grandpa a 2 lb box of cordial cherries for christmas, and mo ate the entire thing. All is seems to do is make him hyper and thirsty.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

We used to have an English Setter we called Gus the Psychic Butter Dog. If there was butter anywhere but the fridge he would find it and eat it. If you brought in groceries with butter and went out to the car for more bags the butter would be gone when you got back. On a sadder note - my sister's Jack Russell Terrier, Max, died today. They had him a long time and he was a good dog.
    Count your blessings!

Oh Gutmutter! - My thoughts and prayers are with you & your sister for a safe trip to the Rainbow Bridge for Max. - There are a host of friends waiting for him.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;2297500;
    My dog has some sort of butter fetish. Saturday night we ate at the coffee table so we could watch basketball. After dinner, I went into the kitchen and started cleaning up. Libby used the opportunity to stick both front paws on the coffee table and start licking butter off the butter dish. There was a half a milk chocolate bar sitting right next to it that she didn't even touch. She was bummed when she got busted.
    I can't leave a stick of butter out on the counter at all. Katie will grab it and eat the whole stick, paper and all. She's done that before with bread, I'll come home and find an empty bread wrapper on the living room floor.

+ Reply to Thread