+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

pgm35: I heard that the poisoned wheat gluten stuff was from China where rodents are proliferous. Why can't the Canadian manufacturer get that ingredient here on the prairies??! We grow enough of the stuff, don't we?

I was at Petsmart to get more Royal Canine for my kitts and the staff were amazed at how many people are confused about what products are good. Even though the tainted canned food is off shelves, some are refusing to purchase their regular dry cat & dog foods (Ukanuba, Science Diet, Aims, etc.) and plan to buy some cheap store brand.

Maveno: I love Kowboy's long whiskers; just like Miss Gracie. How cute!

Gutmutter: I'd love to see a pic of your guinea pig in the clover. Sweet indeed.

A Plea From Me: Please, dog-owners. It is now spring. The rivers and lakes are melting. The ice is not safe. Do not take your dogs out to the river valley and lake edges without a leash. We have already had one dog swept away while it's owner also fell is rescuing her second dog. There were also fire engines and rescue rubber boats called out again today to rescue dogs having a nice springtime walk on our river valley trails. Even if you call them back, dogs are breaking through the ice and getting into trouble. And the owners as well. Please take care during this treacherous time. Thank you. I hate hearing these stories each and every year.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Maveno: That particular shot has Kowboy looking like he could be Greta's older brother.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2290564;
    On a sad note, I'm afraid I'm going to have to take Coco back to the shelter. She is just not doing any better, and frankly I'm getting tired of trying to pry her out of her shell. Unfortunately, she has turned out to be a 'scaredy cat", at least here-- the rescue place swears she was friendly, outgoing, etc. Maybe they can find a home where she fits in a bit better. I think she would be better off where someone is home all the time, so that she would have to come out of hiding more often. I may get another kitty when I take her back, but it will have to be the one that isn't even a little bit standoffish at the shelter. I feel really guilty about this, but I bet Coco would like to be in a one cat home, as she doesn't seem to want to be anywhere near Rocky any of the time, and he's velcro-ed beside me all the time.
    Don't feel guilty, queenb. You don't always know what an animal is going to be like once you get home. I brought a dog home from the shelter 9 years ago shortly before I got Dolly. She was part cocker spaniel, and just so sweet and affectionate. It seemed like she would be a perfect fit with Luke (our golden retreiver), and they told us she was fine around the other dogs. Unfortunately, whenever she was anywhere near Luke she turned into a psycho attack dog from hell. I never saw a dog charge and attack for no good reason like this one did. It was unbelievable. I called the shelter and talked to their behavior/obedience person and she didn't believe me. By the end of the day we had to put her in the basement and shut the door. Luke was a big teddy bear and loved being around other dogs, but even he finally had enough and started growling back at her as if to say "get the hell away from me". I took her back the next morning. So don't feel bad because it doesn't always work out and it's not your fault.

On a lighter note, we had a beautiful day today so we took the girls to the dog park.

Here's Dolly bring back her tennis ball.

Taking a water break under the shade of the picnic table.

I took this the other day after giving Dolly a bath. She wasn't too happy with me, I think this is Dolly's version of "the look".

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2297040;
    Don't feel guilty, queenb.

Queenie: The regulars to this thread will remember the pain I went through when I had to take Charlie back. On the upside, Charlie was adopted into a good home and is living the highlife with a Vet's assistant for a servant. I'm sure the dog you hade to return will be readopted into a good home also.

Marley: You deserved ‘the look’ after ‘exposing’’ poor Dolly like that.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Here's a cute (to me) tale of a good dog gone bad, ambling into (and shown in photos) a fuel station/convienience store, where, after sniffing and passing on lesser products, chows down on a bin containing his prefered tasty treat.

"When he was finished he let out this enormous burp,"
    Dog robs gas station - Aftenposten.no

According to the story, Conan's favorite and his target that morning was chocolate covered rice crisp. That makes me wonder if I'm going overboard by keeping to the best of my ability each small crumb of anything chocolate related away from my mutts. I thought chocolate amounted to poison where dogs are concerned.

My sister realized today just how much she spoils her dog. She spends about $2.99 for a 2 lb bag of cat food for her kitten, but spends $14.99 for her shih tzu's dog food lol.

But then my dog seems to have a sensative stomach. The only dog food he can seem to eat is Iams' little chunk dog food. I don't know why he needs the little chunks, but evidently the large doggy thinks he does.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster;2297130;
    I thought chocolate amounted to poison where dogs are concerned.
    Chocolate certainly is not good for dogs, and can ultimately lead to death, but, on average, it's affects have been greatly over-exaggerated.

Dogs and Chocolate Toxicity

We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?

The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
    Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
    Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
    Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
    1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
    1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
    1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Clinical Signs

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability
    Hyper irritability
    Increased heart rate
    Restlessness
    Increased urination
    Muscle tremors
    Vomiting
    Diarrhea

Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2297145;
    Chocolate certainly is not good for dogs, and can ultimately lead to death, but, on average, it's affects have been greatly over-exaggerated.
    Thanks for the information, Uncle David. I probably come across as a harpy now and again through my reaction to seeing friends give chocolate something or another to Fido. Even if I'm overeacting, I see no value in courting trouble unnecessarily in that regard, not after one of the first questions I've heard from various vets over the years is "Did they get into any chocolate?", reenforcing my notion that any chocolate was bad news.

Just after Valentines Day, I bought a 1 pound heart shape box of candy on sale. Well get home, have a couple of pieces and leave it on the computer desk. Fast forward to the next morning. I'm sitting at the computer desk and being not quite awake didn't notice that the box was not on the desk. Fast forward another 2 hours and I go to get in the box to have a piece. No box. I ask the kids, did they move it? No. I go looking around and find the box intact but completely empty on the floor under the desk. Our Lab Casey, evidently got it down and ate it all. He seemed fine but I called the vet. They said to watch him for the next 24 hours and if he started to vomit or had diarrhea etc. to bring him in immediately. Well he never had a problem. That is the first time he has stolen candy. I imagine if he was a smaller dog he would not have been so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by catmom3;2297162;
    I go looking around and find the box intact but completely empty on the floor under the desk. Our Lab Casey, evidently got it down and ate it all.
    Happily sated Casey. I'm glad there were no ill effects. Nice having a guideline about where clear danger exists, I'd probably have asked at some point about it had chocolate actually been one of the likely culprits necessitating a trip to the vet.

Dogs are about as cute as toddler sized kids when busted moseying up on the counter checking out the cupboards or using the dining table as their grazing field. At least in singular separated events.

+ Reply to Thread