+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

prhoshay, I'm not sure about the pads.

Unk, that is a super sad story. It made me feel weepy.

Unk: Awww. What a sweet story about Chauncy.

glennajo: I hope the vet is able to help Kady tomorrow, whether he stitches or not. She is such a nice boxer. Good thing you knew how to stop the bleeding.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2285292;
    Doxie: I'm glad Simon and Henry are getting along a bit better. It must be difficult for animals to adjust to hearing loss as much as it is for humans. Do you know if any veterinarian has developed a hearing aid for pets? I think that would be nice.
    Our vet told us that Auburn University's Vet School (In Auburn, Alabama) does have a hearing aid program for dogs. That's not too far from us, but the vet also said that it would cost a lot and that Simon is too old and grouchy to tolerate getting the hearing aids adjusted and fitted.....
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I'm back from the vet. Since Kady's pad is non-weight bearing, he decided to remove the part that was hanging off. He was going to numb it and do it while I was there, but she wouldn't hold still. So, I had to leave her. They're going to put her under and fix it this afternoon. I can pick her up before 5:00, and she'll have a dressing on for 24 hours. After that he said to use Neosporin on it, and he's going to give her an antibiotic. He was afraid if he tried to repair it, the flap would shrivel and die, and then there would be bigger problems.

I hate leaving any of my animals at the vet. It's so sad to have to walk away while they're crying, probably wondering why Mommy is leaving them with the mean doctor.

Pet Food Recall

Pet Food Recall Has Owners Worried, Menu Foods Produces "Cuts And Gravy" For More Than 40 Brands; Pets Suffer Kidney Failure - CBS News

Pet Food Recall Has Owners Worried
    Menu Foods Produces "Cuts And Gravy" For More Than 40 Brands; Pets Suffer Kidney Failure

(CBS/AP) For owner Elizabeth Krottinger, it's been a difficult week: All five of her dogs have been sickened.

"I've just been one big stress ball," she told CBS News.

Menu Foods, Canadian company based outside Toronto that produces pet food, said Saturday it was recalling dog food sold throughout North America under 48 brands and cat food sold under 40 brands including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. The food was distributed by major retailers such as Wal-Mart, Kroger and Safeway.

An unknown number of cats and dogs had suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, the company said.

Two other companies Nestle Purina PetCare Co. and Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc. said Saturday that as a precaution they were voluntarily recalling some products made by Menu Foods.

Many stores that sold the affected brands frantically pulled packages off shelves.

Silviene Grzybowski's cat, Smokey, hadn't been eating for days.

"The vet told us to buy her her favorite food, but I'm going to call the vet right now," Grzybowski said.

Ron Finegold of Boynton Beach, Fla., said he noticed about a week or so ago that his family's 3-year-old cat who was regularly fed a variety of Iams cat food had stopped eating and did not appear well. He quickly took the animal to the veterinarian, who determined she was in renal failure.

He said he heard about the recall on the radio Friday night. He checked his trash, and found out he had given the cat some of the affected food.

"That's when I realized (the illness) had to be related," Finegold said. "She won't be eating that stuff anymore."

A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates was available from the Menu Foods Web site. The company also designated two phone numbers that pet owners could call for information (866) 463-6738 and (866) 895-2708.

Menu Foods' chief executive and president Paul Henderson told the Associated Press on Friday that the company was still trying to figure out what happened.

He said that the company had received an undisclosed number of owner complaints that dogs and cats were vomiting and suffering kidney failure after eating its products. He estimated that the recall would cost the company, which is mostly owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, an estimated $26 million to $34 million.

The recall involves all the "cuts and gravy" wet style dog and cat food produced at Menu's Emporia, Kansas, facility between Dec. 3, 2006 and March 6, 2007, reports CBS News' The Early Show veterinarian Dr. Debbye Turner. "What makes this recall so scary is it involves so many brands: 48 dog foods and 40 cat foods."

The company said it makes pet food for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

Sarah Tuite, a company spokeswoman, has said the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, which has since been dropped for another source. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

Food and Drug Administration spokeswoman Julie Zawisza said it is still too early to determine what could have affected the food. Zawisza added that even if wheat gluten is the source "it doesn't necessarily mean the wheat gluten per se. It could be another substance associated with the wheat gluten."

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches from Dec. 3 to March 6.

In Omaha, Neb., Susan Balvanz said she sometimes feeds her five cats packets of sliced meat and gravy sold by Nutro Products, one of the brands affected.

"I've done so much research on pet food. It didn't surprise me but it scared me all the same," said Balvanz.

She said her 9-year-old cat, Boots, was especially fond of the food but seemed to have lost its appetite in the last few days.

At the Missouri Valley Veterinary Clinic in Bismarck, N.D., veterinarian Jacob Carlson has been referring worried pet owners to the Menu Foods web site.

"We've had a lot of calls," Carlson said, although none of his patients were sick.

Hey glennajo, we need an update on Kady and gabriel how did Joey's visit to the vet go?

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2287004;
    Hey glennajo, we need an update on Kady and gabriel how did Joey's visit to the vet go?
    Vet visit is for tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I guarantee you that this will be one VERY THOROUGH checkup.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Geez, I was thinking today was Tuesday. See what happens when you work weekends. I lose all concept of days of the week.

Unk, I posted a few posts back about Kady's visit, but she's doing fine today. She whined a little last night because she kept bumping her leg on stuff. It is wrapped from the knee? down and covering her entire foot so she can't chew the bandages off. I think that's what's killing her the most!

I can take the bandage off this afternoon and apply neosporin for the next week, twice a day. He gave her an antibiotic shot and said she wouldn't have any long term problems at all. Thank goodness!!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Glad it worked out glennajo!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread