+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1269Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2284284;
    I'm not a vet nor disagreeing with yours, but wondering if the pacing and licking might be partly his frustration with the hearing loss and trying to get some suplemental sensory input while moving into a more silent world ?
    I hadn't thought about that! I know he must be frustrated to be going deaf. I've noticed recently that he watches Henry (our other dog) and barks when Henry barks. The upside to this is that Simon can no longer hear thunder and so he doesn't freak out during storms anymore.

Gabriel, I hope your sweet Joey gets a clean bill of health on Tuesday.

The pet food recall is just scary! Our boys eat Pedigree dry food (Crunchy Little Bites) and that's not on the recall list.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Doxie I remember going through that with my boy Chauncy a few years back. I had to clap my hands to get his attention. He finally went pretty much blind. When I would take him out, I would have to guide him back towards the front door. He was pretty good inside the house as he knew the layout fairly well.

Unklescott, my parents had a dog who eventually lost his sight too. It never failed to amaze me that the dog could navigate his way through the house and yard and rarely crashed into anything. That dog loved to play fetch and, even though it sometimes took him a REALLY long time to track down the stick or tennis ball that he was fetching, he always found it and brought it back.

Simon's hearing loss hasn't caused too many problems - I am still shouting "NO" at him as I have been doing for the past 13 years. He is still ignoring me.

Simon and Henry seem to be getting along a lot better than they ever have. I guess that is because Simon is following Henry's lead and Henry seems to realize that he might actually be in charge for the first time.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Doxie: I'm glad Simon and Henry are getting along a bit better. It must be difficult for animals to adjust to hearing loss as much as it is for humans. Do you know if any veterinarian has developed a hearing aid for pets? I think that would be nice.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Wonder if this hearing aid is like a cochlear implant?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My boxer, Kady, sliced open one of her pads last night out in the yard. She came in bleeding all over the place. I was able to stop the bleeding and wrap her leg, but she keeps aggravating it, and it has been bleeding on and off. I'm going to get her to the vet as soon as possible tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if they will stitch her up, or what they do in a case like this? It's on the small pad on the back of her front leg, about four inches up.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    I imagine it would depend on the length of the cut and it's position. As with a human, I doubt they'll stitch it unless it's necessary.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

The bottom half of the pad is flapping. I'm hoping they do stitch it as I'm afraid it won't grow back together properly and will cause future injury. I feel so bad for her. Thanks for the feedback.

Wow glennajo that's too bad. Hopefully you can keep it under control until tomorrow.
    doxie I remember one day when I came home from work and Chauncy didn't hear or see me right away. I took my pants off an put them on a chair. He walked in the room and I could see his nose just twitching away as he was smelling that I was in the room. He walked over to the chair, smelled my pants, got all excited and was just wagging his tail like crazy sitting in front of that chair because he thought I was there. Talk about bringing on the tears.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Pads do regenerate, don't they? I think somebody told me that once.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread