+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2282519;
    Now, just make sure that Howard gets Unk's car keys!
    Good idea, Shay.

Unk, surprisingly he's not afraid to get in the car or ride in the car. However, he is afraid to get out of the car -- and no, it's not just that he doesn't want to -- he does, it just looks like the ground is so far d-o-w-n.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Roses, that's too funny. Too bad you're on the opposite side of the country. I would love to come play with Howard. He's adorable.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2281589;
    Have you tried Febrezing the hell out of the entire area - walls, carpets, everything
    I have a great product called Petzyme. It really does a great job at removing pet odors, but I canít find the source of the odor. I only know it hits me when I enter the office door after itís been closed for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2281606;
    Öin the room that gets sprayed (closet/treadmill/ironing board)Ö
    The office is where the treadmill is. The treadmill that no longer works. Iím afraid thereís a connection between the lack of operation and the odor.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2281694;
    We had a room like Uncle David's and ended up having to replace the carpet...
    I have rug burns on the end of my nose from sniffing the carpet over the last several months. Canít find anything there.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2282479;
    On their last check up the vet told me to mix their food half kitten and half adultÖ
    When I bought the last bag of kitten food I realized it would, in fact, be the last bag. Itís a year now and time for the girls to go to adult food. Also time to take the girls to the vet. (Unlike Unk, Iím obviously not a good daddy. They havenít had a check up since their follow up to the spaying.)

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2282479;
    I miss my babies.
    Not me! I refuse to let the girls grow up.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Our 13 year old Jack Russell went to the vet today for his annual checkup. We have suspected that he was going deaf and the vet confirmed that. There isn't a lot that can be done (although our vet did tell us that Auburn's Vet school is experimenting with hearing aids for dogs!). We also asked the vet about Simon's weird behavior (constant licking and pacing and just being anxious all the time). The vet thinks that he's in the early stages of dementia. Fortunately, there is a medicine which, according to the vet, can "beat back" the dementia and help Simon to relax (good thing - cause that licking and pacing was driving ME crazy).
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Doxie, it's difficult watching our pets age. I had a yellow lab/shepherd mix a few years ago who lost his hearing at 14, and he got along quite well. We just had to make sure we were standing right in front of him, or tap him gently to get his attention. He had no other physical problems for several more months until his age finally caught up to him. It's exciting to hear about progress in helping dogs maintain their quality of life, and I hope you see improvement in Simon with his medication.

Uncle David, that's quite an image picturing you crawling around on your hands and knees with your nose to the carpet.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Roses, when I was a kid, my grand-aunt had a black poodle who was so old that he had turned gray. He was blind and deaf. She had to call him to food by stomping on the floor! Did I mention he hardly had any teeth either? I seem to remember his food looking like tapioca. Blech.

It's never easy dealing with your pets getting older. Mine are both still very healthy, so I remain in denial.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

living4reality: Congratulations on adopting your new Mastiff Harmony! How wonderful to get an older dog and not a puppy! Looking forward to some wonderful photos. You must be soooo excited!

Unk: Maybe your boys aren't babies anymore, but they still LOVE you to death

UncleDavid: You're right on that. Little girl kittens never grow up. They always stay little girls...

doxie: So sad to hear that your JR is deaf, but he can still be a happy little guy. And I hope that the new medication will help Simon settle down a bit too.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thank you all for your kind words. Simon (also known as The HellBeast) will be with us as long as he is happy and in good health.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD
    I'm sorry to hear about Simon's hearing. Rosie has selective hearing. Just like a kid. She turned 10 on Sun. and that made me a little sad, but she sure isn't acting her age. People always think she's much younger, but she is a JRT and they are renowned for energy. But she is going gray. Her snout was brown withy a black outline. The black is almost entirely gone and the brown is interspersed with a LOT of white. As the rest of her is white, most people that see her now, have no idea, but we can really see the difference.

Yesterday was gorgeous and I was out with all three dogs and they were all bounding and running and sniffing and chasing birds and squirrels and it was just so funny watching them. Spring is here and they are enjoying themselves. The birds and squirrels not so much.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Here's what I see many mornings as I leave the house to go to work - Finley sitting on the neighbour's pigeon coop, just perusing.
    cat with birds.jpg
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread