+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 1752 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657971475471047 ... LastLast
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Thanks, Glitter. I remember you posting when yours died, and I'm glad you're coping ok.
    I don't know what kind of tumor it was, but it was obviously swelling up her jaw, and she couldn't eat, and she was miserable, and she was at least 17 years old. So we had her put to sleep last Tuesday -- -- and buried her in the backyard of my mom's house, in a flowerbed, slightly above our other cat who died last fall. Which is what she'd have liked, as she was rather snooty -- she'd like being above him. I'll miss her loads when I next go to mom's and she's not there, but she had a good long life, and if there's a cat heaven I know she's there, happily being snooty to the other cats.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Premium Member
    There is a group called Endless Love for people who have pets with cancer. I found it there last year when I was trying to learn more about Marley's tumor. The people there have all been through it and the support was unbelieveable. Here is the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/endlesslove/

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    There is a group called Endless Love for people who have pets with cancer. I found it there last year when I was trying to learn more about Marley's tumor. The people there have all been through it and the support was unbelieveable. Here is the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/endlesslove/
    Good link Marley. I wish I knew of that last year when my dog, Bronx, passed away from cancer. I was a blubbering mess for weeks. I now have a cat (almost 9 months) who has been the best thing to come in my life since Bronx passed away.

Sorry for all the recent passings of family pets. It's tough. I get a lump in my throat whenever I think about it.

Here's a pic of Bronx my dog and my new buddy Boots:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I took our lab Max to be neutered today (before he gets to the "hormone hell", he just started lifting his leg, so I thought it was time). It is amazing how the other dogs sense that everything is not quite alright when one of them is wounded. Max is an outdoors dog, like our blue heeler, and I tried to make him stay inside after we came back home from the vet, but Max was just rambling/jumping like crazy, so I decided to put him back to pen with our blue heeler, and hope for the best. Blue heeler usually starts to "heel" him immediately, show that she is the boss between the two of them if Max has gotten "too much" human attention in her opinion. (She is really jealous over me, so any attention from me is too much, and she keeps him away from me the best she can, unless they are in a leash). But today she just sniffed Max once and stood by him all calm. I sighed of relief because I was a little worried about what would happen, but I really should not have been, I should have trusted her. She is a smart girl. So now Max is resting in the pen like he is supposed to do. And hopefully he will never get to the "male set of mind."
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I have been reading this thread and am awfully teary-eyed about it. I am so sorry for all the recent losses, Kaicee, Glitter, anyone else I missed. To those of you who had to put your animals to sleep, I commend you for your bravery and kindness. As hard as it is to let them go, you did the right thing to end their suffering, and it really takes alot of strength. My cat is eleven years old and I hope I will be brave enough to put her down one day if that time should come. And I'll know that she had a great life while she was here, because she has me wrapped around her little paw.

Someone once said that the reason our pets don't live that long is so that we can enjoy the love of many animals in our lifetime. I like to think of it that way. While there is no replacement for those we loved, there is always another animal out there waiting to be loved by you.

I actually dropped by this thread to share a silly photo someone sent me. I've never seen a cat sleeping like that - too cute!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

That kitty is adorable. It was really good for a chuckle.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

I'm sitting here at my computer with bags under my eyes, at my wits end. Someone please help! My daughter rescued a kitten from the animal shelter back in July, then came to the conclusion that he was more than she could care for, since she lives alone, works long hours, and travels with her fiancee. So you guessed it, I inherited little "Orangie" a few weeks ago after nagging her unmercifully about the kittens' well being: "You MUST spend more time with him - he's wild and frisky because you're never there. You shouldn't have gotten the baby without thinking of that"... etc. Anyway, my husband and I discussed the situation and agreed to take him if she would follow up with his vet care. She took him to the vet last week and had him fixed. When he returned home he felt so bad that I babied him, begging him to eat, moistening his lips with water and hand feeding him. I was really worried that he might not make it. He refused food and water for almost two days afterwards.
    Well, now he is better- with a vengeance! My daughter gets up at 5:15 am to go to work, and Orangie sees no need to change his schedule to ours...plus he is now used to me feeding fresh food at all hours of the day and night. I have to put him in our room at night because our two grown male cats go in and out the pet door and Orangie wants to follow them out. I don't think he has enough sense to come back if he goes out, so I won't let him out just yet. He has a litter box in my dressing room so he's self contained. He also has the loudest meow I've ever heard. He makes a noise like a peacock at the same decibel level "Mrow! MROW!" beginning at about 5:00 am, and I'm exhausted. Any ideas about how to get him to sleep later?
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Oh goodness, Dinahann, they really are like real babies aren't they? I have no idea what to tell you. What I remember about having kittens is that they are completely insane and then they eventually just grow out of it. Not sure that helps very much, right now. Maybe someone else has a good suggestion for you...in the meantime, good luck!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    . He makes a noise like a peacock at the same decibel level "Mrow! MROW!" beginning at about 5:00 am, and I'm exhausted. Any ideas about how to get him to sleep later?
    Dina-

If it's any consolation, my cat is purring in my ear (or biting my ankles) at 5am sharp as well. The only good part about that is that's when I have to get up for work. He's my living Timex...always on time. He is also very active from 7pm-9pm and if he's not, I usually play with him to tire him out a little before I go to bed.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    He is also very active from 7pm-9pm and if he's not, I usually play with him to tire him out a little before I go to bed.
    Good advice. I was up at four a.m. this morning feeding him kitten chow. Dumped it in the bowl, added a little hot water and stirred with my finger to make gravy. I've been throwing the ball to him this evening, so maybe I'll tire him out.
    OneTVSlave, I don't think I've ever had a kitten before. My two cats came to me after they were grown and no longer frisky. He is a sweetie, though. I'll just have to take the bad with the good.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread