+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2281408;
    I'm going to get one to figure out just exactly where the strays are spraying on my house.
    You can have mine. I bought one many months ago when I started smelling this odor and was never able to find the offending mark. I think my sweet Charlie left it as a lovely parting gift.

Not wanting the girls in the office when I'm not here I keep the door closed. With at least two computers, and several other peripherals running all the time itís warm enough to encourage the odor. When you open the door after several hours of it being closed it is a not so pleasant experience.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I'm looking forward to pix of Harmony - Mastiffs are such cool horses, er, dogs.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Saw a Mastiff at my vet's office and this girl (woman), who obviously weighed less than the dog was trying (not very successfully) to control it. I was scared to death! I've never seen such a monstrous animal that close up. I think the only other dog I've seen even slightly that size was a Great Pyrenees that beat the heck out of me with her tail.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best of luck with the new mastiff! Sounds like you're in for quite an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2281439;
    You can have mine. I bought one many months ago when I started smelling this odor and was never able to find the offending mark. I think my sweet Charlie left it as a lovely parting gift.

Not wanting the girls in the office when I'm not here I keep the door closed. With at least two computers, and several other peripherals running all the time itís warm enough to encourage the odor. When you open the door after several hours of it being closed it is a not so pleasant experience.
    Have you tried Febrezing the hell out of the entire area - walls, carpets, everything? I think that I've mentioned before that some of the neighbourhood cats spray the boy's magnetic cat door, which opens into the room that I use for a closet/treadmill room. I can smell it as soon as I come in the back door and it's just horrendous in the room itself. I've taken to cleaning the affected area with either Febreze or linen water because some helpful FORTer told me that vinegar attracts cats, and I burn incense in the room. The combination seems to alleviate the stink. I tried some stuff that is supposed to remove the odour and the pheromones, but the cats keep coming back so I don't think it's removing all the pheromones, and the smell is taken care of just as effectively and much less expensively with the Febreze.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    What is linen water???
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

If I ever go with a short-haired dog, it will be a Mastiff The ones I've met (probably about 20?) have all been sweethearts. The very first that I saw was at a dog show--a BIG adult male happily sitting in his owner's lap. prhoshay touches on something very important--obedience training is a MUST with big dogs. What is annoying in little dogs (jumping up, for example) can be dangerous with the giant breeds.

I think that its great that you're going with an adult rescue.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Linen water is scented water (I have verbena and lilac) that rich people make their nannies spray the clothes with when doing the ironing. I am neither rich nor a nanny - I just like things that smell nice. I've been using it to clean cat spray because it happens to be in the room that gets sprayed (closet/treadmill/ironing board) and I have little freakouts "($(&#) idiots that don't get their furry friends fixed!!!" and tend to grab the first sprayable thing I see. So the cat door is scented with a delightful combination of lilac and urine.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2281606;
    Linen water is scented water (I have verbena and lilac) that rich people make their nannies spray the clothes with when doing the ironing. I am neither rich nor a nanny - I just like things that smell nice. I've been using it to clean cat spray because it happens to be in the room that gets sprayed (closet/treadmill/ironing board) and I have little freakouts "($(&#) idiots that don't get their furry friends fixed!!!" and tend to grab the first sprayable thing I see. So the cat door is scented with a delightful combination of lilac and urine.

You mean rich people don't use spray starch? Well, I'm obviously not rich because the VERY little I do iron, I use a can of spray starch from Walmart and it doesn't have any smell.

We had a room like Uncle David's and ended up having to replace the carpet as it was actually in the carpet padding which NOTHING would help. The padding actually smelled worse than the carpet when we took it out.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2281694;
    You mean rich people don't use spray starch? Well, I'm obviously not rich because the VERY little I do iron, I use a can of spray starch from Walmart and it doesn't have any smell.

We had a room like Uncle David's and ended up having to replace the carpet as it was actually in the carpet padding which NOTHING would help. The padding actually smelled worse than the carpet when we took it out.
    I tried using starch once, but just ended up with one really stiff patch in the middle of a lot of floppy fabric. I'd be a horrible maid.

And yes, if it's in the underpad then it's absolutely not salvageable. The smell can be gotten out of the carpet itself with a steam cleaner but nothing will sterilize padding.

+ Reply to Thread