+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 1756 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556961465461046 ... LastLast
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Fogey
    Sorry to hear that Kaicee. And Lucy, my kitty is 13 years old, I've had her since I was 18. She has been my faithful companion and been there for me through all kinds of trials. I can't imagine what will happen to me when she is no longer around. I'm glad you got to see your cat and spend time with her.

Here's a pic of my Cinnamon. He had kidney problems and I lost him about 1 1/2 years ago. I put this bench in front of the window for him. He loved Mr. Sunshine.

I'm sorry about Cinammon, Unk. He was obviously adorable.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I'm sorry about Cinammon, Unk. He was obviously adorable.
    Me too, Unk...He was really cute (love that picture).

Lucy, I am sorry that you are going through losing Figment. I was surprised how painful it was/is to lose Wendy. These little furry balls of wonder make our lives so much better...but that means we miss them so much more when they are gone. You and your parents are doing the best thing for Figment...I know that's true. Animals are meant to run and play...not suffer. Wendy isn't suffering now...that comforts me. Did you see Unks post on the Rainbow Bridge Poem? It's helped me a lot (but be armed with tissues....I still cry when I read it). I am glad you got to spend time with Figment...I am sure she is too
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    On fourth of July, I went out of town and put Wendy in a kennel. I didn't know that I only had a few more weeks with her...and I was feeling really guilty about that after Wendy died.

Someone up there must have been listening...because yesterday I got a sympathy card from my vet's office (which is where we always kenneled Wendy when we went out of town). The whole office signed it and wrote little paragraphs about things that they remember about Wendy. The office manager wrote that she will always remember laying in the kennel with Wendy. I guess I wasn't the only one who Wendy loved sleeping with

Wendy was a gift from my daughters in 1997. At the time, I was really depressed about the death of my father. I had a hard time getting out of bed because of the depression. My kids thought "Mom needs a pet to help her get out of bed in the morning" --- and surprised me with a pure white puppy. Well, Wendy had better ideas. She was the most enabling dog I have ever known....she tried to keep me in bed so I could cuddle with her

My daughters laughed when they read the card saying that Wendy did the same thing to the Vet's staff.

Thanks again to everyone who sent me their prayers and good thoughts. I'm doing a lot better now.
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Do you think my boy Tigger is happy on Daddy's chest while he's getting some lovin'?

Premium Member
    My dog Marley is my avatar. She died one year ago yesterday of a spinal cord tumor, she was 2 years old. I have 2 dogs right now, Dolly-a 6 year old silky terrier and Katie-a 13 month old golden retreiver. I can't post pictures right now because my real computer is in the shop and I'm on my son's laptop.

Premium Member
    Wow, there had been a lot of recent loss and sadness for some of you. I know how hard that is too. We had a 10 year old golden retriever and one night when I wasn't watching as closely as I should have been he ran into the street and was hit by a car. Absolutely the worst night of my life and almost 2 years later I still cannot forgive myself. A few weeks later we found Marley at the humane society, she was just what we needed to help fill the hole in our hearts, but 8 months later we had to let her go because of the tumor. She could no longer walk and had lost bowel and bladder control, and it wasn't fair to her. Yesterday I re-lived that whole day over again.. the one thing that I have been able to take comfort in is that we do have the option of euthanasia when nothing more medically can be done. To let them go while they still have a little dignity left is the one last loving thing we can do for them. My heart goes out to each and every one of you, all of us who have had pets have been where you are today.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Thanks Tirl, I was advised not to look through the paper, and also, I heard it was often the most dominant of the litter that will be the first to approach a stranger, which could also reflect a more stubborn and aggresive dog, so to avoid the pup that first comes to you. Also, it seems the breeders like to match the pups to the person, but I don't know how they can decide that in such a short time. What I've read is usually the best pets fall in the middle of the litter re dominance and the hierarchy etc, a dominant dog for me would easily have me as his slave.....I'm too soft, so I have to be careful about that.
    Pick up the puppy and cradle it like a baby. If it makes eye contact with you then generally it will be a more agressive dog.
    My silky terrier came from a pet store which was so against my better judgement! She is fine though, the store gave me the name of the breeder where they got the dog and the AKC reg. numbers and names of the parents plus a 1 year health guarantee. Normally though I would stay away from pet stores.
    The first dog I got from the humane society I had to take back the next day because she tried to kill my golden... she was a sweet little dog that looked like she was part cocker spaniel, but she was the psycho dog from hell when you put her with another dog.
    Our first golden retreiver we got from the local rescue club. He was a gem, those dogs are placed into foster homes and evaluated, and any health or behavioral problems are taken care of before they are adopted out, plus you go through an extensive interview with home visits before they will let you have a dog.
    My current golden, Katie, we answered an ad in the paper. She was born on a farm and they had both parents so we could see them. They were AKC registered but when we were there they had just come in from chasing skunks in the river! I picked her because she was a little smaller and quieter than the other female we were looking at, the other one was barking and tearing all over the place. Katie has turned out just wonderful.
    My point is that there are a lot of different ways to find the right dog and there is good and bad about everything.

My heart goes out to the recent losses out there, I know how hard it can be! My passed away the end of April, and I'm still so upset! (although the grief counselor says I'm doing amazingly well, ) which is my suggestion for you guys. This was offered free through my vet, and maybe yours has the same program, it's a pet loss support group that really did help. I was just so happy that I had a huge party celebrating her life when the time was near.

And especially for Lucy, mine had tumors too, and I give you my all, it's not easy when it's something as foreign as a tumor, hopefully they can remove it, did they tell you what kind it was? I know all too much about feline tumors from my experience, if you need any info feel free to pm me, best to both of you and your darling animals, be they on God's laps or your arms now.

+ Reply to Thread