+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Unklescott, that captioned pic is perfect!! lol, thanks for putting in words what they just have to be saying!

Uncle David, that grey/white kitten in your avatar is just about the most beautiful kitty face I've ever seen... not just cute, it's downright beautiful. A real glam kitty
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

MRD
    There is a stray cat in our neighborhood. Back in Dec. the owner died. She lived alone, never married, never had kids. Her family came and cleaned out the house, but did nothing about the cat. My neighbor was feeding it, but then it disappeared for a while. THe past week, its back and its so sad. One of the back legs is hurt and its limping on 3 legs and you can see its ribs. I have tried to get close to it and it is amazingly fast on 3 legs. It's now a feral cat I'm afraid. I feel so badly for it, but I haven't been able to get close to it.
    I finally called the animal control people and they said they could bring out a trap when one becomes available, but they didn't know when that would be.
    It breaks my heart to know this cat is starving and suffering from an injured leg.
    ANYONE have any suggestions. I have put food out, but the other cats have been eating it. These are the neighbors with outside cats that are being fed at their own homes.
    I just want to cry when I see this cat. I want to help it, but its very skittish and I just don't know what else I can do.
    Any suggestions?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Go buy your own trap, maybe? Home Depot carries them. Or if you or your husband is a bit handy, make a rabbit box (trap). I'm sure you can find plans for one online. My fella uses one to trap cats from his property all the time.

Oh, and I hadn't posted it yet, but since Valentine's day passed and no word from then woman who promised me cats, I went ahead and got two from a shelter. I'll post pictures later. The boy cat, Rocky, is mostly Siamese but has white front toes and back feet. He has a rounder face and eyes than most Siamese, and is very handsome. The girl cat, Coco, is Siamese colored, but....poor kitty. Her hair is part short and part long, her head is too big for her extra petite 4 pound body, she has really long legs like a lynx, and on top of it all, no tail
    Last edited by queenb; 02-27-2007 at 09:07 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2257582;
    There is a stray cat in our neighborhood. Back in Dec. the owner died. She lived alone, never married, never had kids. Her family came and cleaned out the house, but did nothing about the cat. My neighbor was feeding it, but then it disappeared for a while. THe past week, its back and its so sad. One of the back legs is hurt and its limping on 3 legs and you can see its ribs. I have tried to get close to it and it is amazingly fast on 3 legs. It's now a feral cat I'm afraid. I feel so badly for it, but I haven't been able to get close to it.
    I finally called the animal control people and they said they could bring out a trap when one becomes available, but they didn't know when that would be.
    It breaks my heart to know this cat is starving and suffering from an injured leg.
    ANYONE have any suggestions. I have put food out, but the other cats have been eating it. These are the neighbors with outside cats that are being fed at their own homes.
    I just want to cry when I see this cat. I want to help it, but its very skittish and I just don't know what else I can do.
    Any suggestions?
    I know there is a website devoted to tips about catching feral cats. Just can
    't remember what it is. I suggest google ferel cats. Good luck, you are doing a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2258247;
    Oh, and I hadn't posted it yet, but since Valentine's day passed and no word from then woman who promised me cats, I went ahead and got two from a shelter. I'll post pictures later. The boy cat, Rocky, is mostly Siamese but has white front toes and back feet. He has a rounder face and eyes than most Siamese, and is very handsome. The girl cat, Coco, is Siamese colored, but....poor kitty. Her hair is part short and part long, her head is too big for her extra petite 4 pound body, she has really long legs like a lynx, and on top of it all, no tail
    They sound adorable, especially Coco. I'm really looking forward to seeing the pictures.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

queenb: How wonderful to adopt two kitties from the shelter...they sound beautiful. Looking forward to photos.

myrosiedog: do you know where the 3 legged kitty goes to sleep? Does she hang out under her old house porch or somewhere? I hate to think she's starving.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I think we have enough scrap lumber to build a trap. I don't see the cat every day and I have no idea where he goes at night. I have seen him on a neighbors porch. His old house doesn't have a porch or anyway for him to get underneath the house. One of the neighbors and I have been trying to do something about him because I can't stand to see an animal suffer. Hopefully we can get him trapped and take him to the humane society. I cannot take care of him and cannot afford to take him to a vet, so I hate to have to take him to the humane society because I am afraid they will euthanize him. But I don't want him to starve or suffer from the injured leg either.

Queenb, can't wait to see your new additions. They sound adorable.

Waldo the Wonder dog is settling in after a week and finally learning to behave somewhat. He does think he is a lap dog and last night I had him in my lap again. He is such a big baby and I think he sees the smaller dogs in my lap and thinks he can do that too, but he's just too big.
    He also wants to sleep in our room and managed to open our bedroom door the other night around 3 a.m. What a surprise! But he's my daughter's dog and we are trying to discourage him from our room as that is the "safe" haven for the other two to get away from him. We are getting a free fence out of the paper, hubby just has to go get it and put it up. I know that will make a big difference for all the dogs, but especially him as our two stay in the yard and he does not.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

myrosiedog: I'm sure you're doing all you can. I hope someone sees "tripod" and adopts him. Paws crossed. I was wondering when Waldo would try to get in on your bedtime snuggles Yes, it would be good for him to stay with your daughter to give Rosie and Bogie their own room. You know, that they would continue to share with you and hubby.

Cool you found a free fence! Men come in handy for getting them things and putting them up! Do they have another one in white? Fence, I mean.

My dad advertised for a Free garage when he wanted to build a double. He had a sturdy single car stucco one and a woman showed up and said "I'll take it". She expected my dad to pay for and arrange the move. Uh, not. A crew of outdoorsy guys came with a flatbed and within the day had it up and gone without as much as a crack in a window! It was something to see. They took it out to an acreage somewhere.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Today is my dog Mokie's birthday! He is 4 years old. I wish I could have gotten him a new chew toy for his birthday, but I didnt have time. I guess I shall just have to oew him one! And if you think remembering my dog's birthday is bad, my sister is ever worse. She sent out cards with her dog's picture on them for her dogs 1st birthday.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

myrosiedog, I thought of Waldo when I saw this news item.

FDA Approves First Drug for Carsick Dogs

FDA Approves First Drug for Carsick Dogs
    Wednesday, 28-Feb-2007 2:20PM EST

Story from AP
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press (via ClariNet)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Dogs who get a little green under the fur while traveling gained the first drug Wednesday to prevent vomiting associated with motion sickness.

The Food and Drug Administration said the drug, Cerenia, is the first to prevent and treat vomiting in dogs. When used in tablet form, the Pfizer Inc. drug can prevent vomiting associated with motion sickness, the FDA said. The agency also approved an injectable form of the drug, known generically as maropitant citrate, that it said can prevent and treat acute vomiting due to chemotherapy, parvovirus, kidney disease, pancreatitis and other causes.

Severe vomiting can lead to dehydration and death in dogs, the FDA said.

Both versions of the New York company's dog drug are available only by order of a veterinarian.

+ Reply to Thread