+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1269Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

The worried look on the kitten is really funny.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Little kitty has that "omigod" look, doesn't it!!! Just precious!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Justice served for stray catís caring caterer

This was in our local paper today and I was shocked. I'm glad someone got wise and put a stop to this.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007
    Kevin Mayhood
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The Hilliard officer watched the woman park her car and walk into some woods near I-270.

At 5:20 p.m. Dec. 13, Officer Shane OíConnor reported, he saw her leave a plastic dish of food for a cat that lived in a ditch there.

After the woman drove away, he checked the ditch and found a wooden box covered by camouflaged material and containing several other plastic dishes.

He took photographs and later placed nine in his file.

Janice L. Rolfe, the woman in the car, said OíConnor called her after she went home. He told her he was citing her for littering and illegally providing a shelter to an animal.

Rolfe, 62, a retired English teacher, couldnít believe police would spend time on such a matter, much less cite her.

A prosecutor apparently agreed and dropped the charge against her yesterday.

Rolfe has been feeding the cat, which she saw dumped from a car five years ago, four or five times a week since then. Sheíd had a friend make what she called a "cat condo" to protect it from the weather.

She didnít want to bring the animal home to the three cats she already had, but she couldnít just walk away either.

After being cited, Rolfe called neighbor Mark A. Serrott, a lawyer and cat owner.

Yesterday, in Hilliard Mayorís Court, Serrott pointed out that the city bans shelter for livestock, not cats. Hilliard Prosecutor Kelleen Roth agreed and dismissed the charge.

Serrott argued that leaving food for a cat is not littering. If Roth didnít dismiss that charge, Serrott said heíd move the case to Franklin County Municipal Court for a jury trial.

"People donít get prosecuted for acts of human kindness," he said.

After some consultation, Roth said she doubted she could prove the littering charge and the city didnít want to discourage people from taking care of animals. She dismissed the case.

The case against Rolfe appears to be unique, said Kerry Manion, the chief of animal law enforcement at the Capital Area Humane Society. Manion said there are thousands of stray and feral cats in the county. In 20 years, he said, heís never seen an individual cited for caring for just one.

Rather than bringing in the abandoned cat to be euthanized, "This is a person who is taking care of an existing problem," he said.

OíConnor was off duty and unavailable for comment yesterday. Another officer speculated OíConnor received a complaint that caused him to investigate. Police officials who might be able to discuss the case could not be reached yesterday.

Rolfe said she was still a little angry about having to hire Serrott but that she didnít blame OíConnor for doing his job. She just wants the cat, which she calls Fluffy, to be OK.

She returned to the ditch in the woods yesterday and put down another bowl of food.
    The Columbus Dispatch - Local/State

This woman has good intentions I'm sure but if she couldn't keep the cat herself, I wish she would have at least tried to find a home for it. I didn't read the entire article but I don't think it mentioned she had the cat spayed/neutered. If she didn't, she's inadvertantly contributing to more stray cats. If anything, I hope a home can be found for the poor kitty but if it's been on its own this long, it might not take to a family. I hope there is a good outcome.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2251899;
    Little kitty has that "omigod" look, doesn't it!!!
    That describes it perfectly, lol!

Cornedbeef, now every time I look at your avatar, I'm gonna laugh too hard to read your posts!

prhoshay, are you saying "cat.. the other white meat?" No, I don't have it in a frame, but that's a great idea, or blow it up and make it a poster. Thanks for the idea!
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Newbie
    "People donít get prosecuted for acts of human kindness," he said.

I agree with that phrase. It's like blaming the old lady in doing what is right. She really have a kind heart. And kind hearted people don't deserve to be in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2251899;
    Little kitty has that "omigod" look, doesn't it!!! Just precious!
    Actually, here's what he was saying.

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar
    Well, right now I'm feeding a stray at the Dr. office. There were several cats and two kittens. All very hungry! I've trapped all but one. She is to smart to get in any trap. So I feed her a few times a week.
    So happy that Mrs. Rolfe is out there helping our fuzzy ones.
    What is the world coming to?

Rosydog - - Open the window wide for Waldo - and put him where he can see the road. Really helps! And have a bag ready for the barfy, You can train a dog to put their heads in the bag when feeling sick.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimzy;2253299;
    Well, right now I'm feeding a stray at the Dr. office. There were several cats and two kittens. All very hungry! I've trapped all but one. She is to smart to get in any trap. So I feed her a few times a week.
    So happy that Mrs. Rolfe is out there helping our fuzzy ones.
    What is the world coming to?

Rosydog - - Open the window wide for Waldo - and put him where he can see the road. Really helps! And have a bag ready for the barfy, You can train a dog to put their heads in the bag when feeling sick.
    We want to take him to obedience training soon, and I was worried about how to get him there and back with the barfing thing.

Well he's gotten over his won't get on the couch. Last night he and my husband and daughter all three were sitting on the couch watching tv. It was the funniest thing in the world. He looks like another human sitting there and once he saw he wasn't going to get punished for getting on the furniture, he got on and off the couch about 10 times which is funny in and of itself as he doesn't jump on or off, he crawls.
    He is the funniest dog. I'm having a blast just watching him. He's so goofy and funny and perpetually happy no matter what. I don't think I have ever seen such a happy dog.
    The other two still are not happy, but they are starting to get used to him. He's so scared of them and then he tries to play with them and they growl and he runs, but goes right back for more. He also likes to "sit" on the hearth and on curbs when we walk. He backs up to it and plops down sitting there like its natural. I'm telling you, I laugh constantly at him.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2253409;
    He also likes to "sit" on the hearth and on curbs when we walk. He backs up to it and plops down sitting there like its natural. I'm telling you, I laugh constantly at him.
    Okay, mrd, you've got to post a picture of this!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread