+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2246027;
    I wholeheartedly agree. Mine KNOW what "bad dog" in my stern voice means. I've never hit my animals. I have spanked my child, but not even that many times. The two are different. The child understands, the animals don't.

I have a yardstick I keep outside and when they don't listen, I've picked it up and waved it around, but they know I'm not going to do anything with it, because they continue to do what they are doing and ignore the crazy woman running around with the yardstick. But "Bad dog" gets their attention and they usually stop and come with tails tucked. Even saying that sometimes makes me feel guilty when they play the "victim" after I've said it.
    I also read somewhere that you should NOT use their name when scolding them. (I am NOT inferring that you do.)
    Oh and they do love playing "victim". Joey would jump on Monas' table and start eating her food, I didn't even need to raise my voice, I would walk over to the table and just say NO! - he would look at me with half closed eyes, ears back and go mewww, then try to turn around and start eating again.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2246027;
    After reading everyone's stories, I feel almost vindicated about allowing them on the furniture and on the bed. I have a couple of friends that are so picky about that and I've learned not to say anything about it as a lot of people view it as nasty. I wish we all lived in the same place, then I'd have animal loving friends that didn't mind coming over and sitting on the sofa with the little white dog hairs on it.
    If you can't stand a few strands of fur or hair and you complain to me, I'll tell you where the vacuum is and you're more than welcome to use.

AS for the counter, Joey doesn't even like it. has his own table.

Reminds me of the times when he was a kitten and would try to get into something, I tried the spray bottle approach: first time he got spritzed and walked away. second time just sat there. third time he just sat there and closed his eyes and I swear if he had them he would have put goggles on.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

That Joey story is too funny. I can just picture him taking that spritz in the face.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

gabriel, now I have a picture in my head of your Joey with goggles on getting sprayed.

I have tried the spray bottle too but they now just ignore the counters and really they aren't even interested in the table. Mitzi was up there looking out watching the birds on the feeders across the yard. My cats do like to lay on the dining room chairs but more because that way they can see who's in the kitchen and can they talk them into more food.

Our dogs have always been allowed on the furniture. Partly because if they are in the truck with my husband, they are used to the bed and passenger seat being where they sit. It's kind of hard to then get them to stay off when they are at home.

Jewelsy: What sweeet kitties you have!

My kitties own the house. They get to go where they want more or less. They know the word "bad" and "no" with a finger pointed. Also, if I can, I will blow in Tootles face and say Bad. He really understand that when it's necessary. But they both jump on the tables. There's no room on the counters.

I also clean the tabletop whenever I cook or prepare food.

My Dad just informed me that Gracie took over my bed last night. She usually sleeps at the foot of the bed on a cushy bench; Tootles on the side of the bed. But she found a little burrow between all the pillows and the duvet and Dad had to squish in on one side and actually move her so he had room to sleep. She is the Princess.

gabriel: I'd love to see Joey with a pair of goggles on!

On another note, I spent nearly 3 hours glued to the tv last night watching the Westminster Dog Show final reruns. There are some awesome breeds. I just smiled seeing all those big and little, skinny and fluffy tails a'waggin!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Re: dogs on the bed.
    My mom has a shelter-rescue mixed breed dog. No clue as to his lineage. He is small, long but short-legged with dark curly hair and his tail curls over his back. His name is Tiger.
    He came to her about a year old. He doesn't get on furniture, not because he isn't allowed, he just never did or maybe he couldn't with his short legs. He sleeps in his crate with his blanky and his buddy - a neon green stuffed duck.

The only exception is when Mom is sick. If she is not feeling well, he and the duck can be found on the foot of her bed. He is a really sweet dog.

anemone - that is a cute touching story. I like the part that he has a duck, and they can be found at the foot of the bed when your Mom is sick.

Well my folks came over yesterday and there were some tears when I transferred Monas' ashes to the urn. (of course I kept them in the baggie, and also used the baggie provided with the urn to "double bag") I have put her on a bookcase in my bedroom. The bookcase is next to the table by the window that she would lie on to get her sun. One of these days when it is nice, bright and sunny I'll snap a picture and post. Again Thanks to all of you for your tremendous support.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD
    Gabriel, I thought about you yesterday. Glad you got Mona settled.

I too have had a picture of Joey with goggles on and have laughed several times picturing that.

Last night Rosie decided that she would sleep with me (I hate when she decides that) and we slept with her butt under my armpit for most of the night before she finally decamped to my husband's side of the bed, which then freed Bogie up to come back to the middle and butt slam me at 3 a.m.
    He will NOT challenge her at all. He knows she will snap at him. I swear she was a cat in another life as we are definetly her "staff" and live to please her or so she thinks.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    You know, I don't think they make goggles for cats...they wouldn't tolerate them, but they do make them for dogs for when you take them out for a ride and they like to hang out the window. They are called "Doggles".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2247362;
    anemone - that is a cute touching story. I like the part that he has a duck, and they can be found at the foot of the bed when your Mom is sick.

Well my folks came over yesterday and there were some tears when I transferred Monas' ashes to the urn. (of course I kept them in the baggie, and also used the baggie provided with the urn to "double bag") I have put her on a bookcase in my bedroom. The bookcase is next to the table by the window that she would lie on to get her sun. One of these days when it is nice, bright and sunny I'll snap a picture and post. Again Thanks to all of you for your tremendous support.
    That sounds like the perfect spot for Mona. I'm glad that this last part of the painful process of letting her go is over for you.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Now see...I don't think that part ever really leaves you, but it does get better.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread