+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2245979;
    (probably because we kick around and interupt his sleeping).
    The girls are very careful of when and where they sleep on the bed with me.

It was summer when I first got them, and as such, it being Las Vegas, it was warm. I'd often get too hot and have to kick the covers off in the middle of the night. (See where this is going?)

I hadn't had an animal for over a decade before the girls, so I wasn't used to having critters in bed with me. Until the girls came to live with me, kicking my foot out from under the covers held no consequences for me, or anyone sleeping with me. So, kicking the covers off with force was no problem.

I donít know if the girls have gotten over their night terrors of waking from a deep sleep only to find themselves in mid-flight across the bedroom. I suspect some of the twitches I see them perform while sleeping today may have something to do with those memories. I do know this, when they sleep with me now they make a point of sleeping close, one on either side of my legs, so itís impossible for me to make any sudden moves.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

The boys wouldn't sleep with me at first either. They stayed under the bed. They eventually found their way to the top of the bed and like Uncle David's girls they sleep on each side, Laurel by my left leg and Hardy by my right leg. They do have a habit of attacking my feet when I toss and turn. I never should have started playing the run my hands under the blankets and let them pounce game when they were kittens.

Odd how that works Unk. Ella is always on the left with Greta on the right. I never thought of that until you mentioned the positions of the boys.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2244737;
    Is this a gender thing? The boys sleep with their butts touching and the girls sleep with their heads touching?
    Aww, those are too cute. I don't think it's a gender thing, 'cause my boys sleep cluddled up just like your girls.

OMG Jewelsy...

At first glance I thought it was the girls.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2245981;
    For heavens' sake, if your feline or canine does something they shouldn't, a stern NO in a non yelling voice is usually enough if repeated enough. No need to beat the or smack the creatures.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Mine KNOW what "bad dog" in my stern voice means. I've never hit my animals. I have spanked my child, but not even that many times. The two are different. The child understands, the animals don't.

I have a yardstick I keep outside and when they don't listen, I've picked it up and waved it around, but they know I'm not going to do anything with it, because they continue to do what they are doing and ignore the crazy woman running around with the yardstick. But "Bad dog" gets their attention and they usually stop and come with tails tucked. Even saying that sometimes makes me feel guilty when they play the "victim" after I've said it.

After reading everyone's stories, I feel almost vindicated about allowing them on the furniture and on the bed. I have a couple of friends that are so picky about that and I've learned not to say anything about it as a lot of people view it as nasty. I wish we all lived in the same place, then I'd have animal loving friends that didn't mind coming over and sitting on the sofa with the little white dog hairs on it.

Archie we have the butt in the face routine everynight as the two get settled in their "spots". I don't know why they feel they have to do that, but its a ritual. The funny thing is, that Rosie who sleeps on the outside next to my husband will get in the middle of the bed which is Bogies spot and it drives him INSANE. He won't challenge her, but he sits at the foot or walks around the bed and you can tell he's upset. Finally he'll lay down and then she calmy gets up, climbs over my husband (actually walks on him) gets in her spot and goes to sleep, then Bogie can come up, I lift the covers and he goes under, does his thing and butt slams me and lays down. I know she does it on purpose to upset him.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My cats are allowed anywhere they want except the dining room table and kitchen counters. I also have the same rules for everyone else that I have for my cats. If my son tries to sit on the kitchen counter, I tell him to get off just like for the cats.

My female (Whiskers) sleeps with me, either bunched against my legs, my stomach of plopped on top of my chest (that's the uncomfortable one - for me, I mean). I love seeing the pictures of the cats sleeping together; they're so sweet! I wish my cats would do that, but they don't. They play together (especially when the female starts it), but the don't sleep together. Of course, that could be because I didn't adopt them at the same time. I got Whiskers first, and then about a year later, I got Dunkin. They were both kittens at the time.

Ahh, what did we do for entertainment before we got our kitties?

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2245807;
    I enforce the table and kitchen counter rule whenever I'm around, but when I'm not there...
    True enough. I know Pumpkin has been on the counters when we're not there. He has left evidence like a loaf of bread with little teeth marks in it. If I catch him I just clap my hands once or twice really loud and tell him "off", and he bolts out of there like a bat out of hell. I know cats are really clean, but I just can't wrap my mind around the idea of having those same cute little feeties that bury the clumps in the litter box walking around the places where we prepare food and eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2246048;
    ...I just can't wrap my mind around the idea of having those same cute little feeties that bury the clumps in the litter box walking around the places where we prepare food and eat.
    Exactly my reasoning for keeping the critters off the counter tops and tables too . I always spray off the counter and table with a disinfectant prior to cooking. It's all these years in the restaurant business that help make me more aware of it.

I have a bread box now, but I used to have a cat who did jump on the counter while we were gone and knock the bread to the floor so the dogs could have some too . I started keeping it in the microwave.

My dog has become a cat spokesperson (spokesdoggie?) all of a sudden. There's a stray that I've been feeding and every morning she comes to the back door waiting for me to bring her food out. The other day the dog jumped on my chest early in the morning and he never does that unless he wants to tell me something (we have a pet door so he's not telling me he needs to go out). I get up, and there she is at the door. I guess he thought I was taking too long to wake up and feed her.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

+ Reply to Thread