+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2245300;
    I am so glad to know that so many people here let their animals on the bed.
    I've had so many people say to me:

"you LET them on the furniture?" and then the biggest disgusting sounding voice: "you let then SLEEP with you?" like we were all pigs sleeping in slop or something.

These are usually non-animal people, but a few have their own animals, but they are not "allowed" on the furniture.

There is nothing that makes me feel more warm and secure, comfortable and sleepy, like a dog butt scooched up against me in bed.

Our dogs are family and they are allowed everywhere but the kitchen table. I do draw the line at that, but Rosie thinks she should be allowed to sit at the table and eat dinner with us.

MB-The "dying cockroach" in the middle of the bed has me We often get that too.

Gabriel-so right, they ask for little in return, but give us so much
    My EX (the drunkard) would always yell at Mona & then Joey for jumping on the couch, the counter, the tv, the desk, you get the picture. That's why when I moved in 1997 to this apartment I promised no yelling or scolding anymore and the last 9 1/2 years of Monas life were peace & quiet, and Joeys will continue to be so.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac;2245317;
    Marleybone, I'm dying of laughter over seeing Katie's tongue in all her photos. She just loves to lick her lips, huh?
    Isn't that a hoot? I got 3 shots of her and she was in mid-slurp each time. I couldn't see her very well through my viewfinder since it was so bright out so I didn't know she had done that - it was even more funny later when I downloaded the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    "you LET them on the furniture?" and then the biggest disgusting sounding voice: "you let then SLEEP with you?" like we were all pigs sleeping in slop or something.

These are usually non-animal people, but a few have their own animals, but they are not "allowed" on the furniture.
    This is what life was like for our first cat, Sydney. The people we adopted her from would only allow her in the living room and kitchen, but not on the furniture. She was not allowed in the bedrooms for fear she would get on one of the beds, and they put her in a cage in the basement every night so she wouldn't sneak onto the furniture while they were sleeping. She was in pure heaven at our house because we let her go wherever she wanted. Well, almost everywhere because I draw the line at the dining room table and kitchen counters. :nono At least her former owners recognized that they were not the right family for Sydney because that just wasn't a normal life for a cat, and that's why they wanted to find her a new home.

Now you take my family, well a few of us, my folks, my dear departed Aunt Joanne and myself, the felines go where and do anything they please and of course they've never damaged anything (not that it would matter) well Aunt Joanne did have a chair in the living room (and this was not cheap furniture) that had a "fuzzy" corner from the cats "stretching". But I'll never forget the time that kitty (yes that was her name) who was adopted when I was 5 and passed on when I was 33, jumped on the table, nonchalantly walked over a few plates (not in them) sat down in front of mine and slurped up 3 or 4 strands of my spaghetti. We were all laughing so hard. Max, my Mom & Dads fella, just jumps on the table passes all the food to go sit on his end of the table and look out the window, unless it's something good on the plate and he'll just stare at the plate with his I'm starving and I only weigh 14 pounds look.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Kitchen counters and table are off limits to my cats, but everything else is ok. Then again, I don't allow my daughter on either of those, either. It just seems unsanitary to have any being walking on the counters or the table.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    I enforce the table and kitchen counter rule whenever I'm around, but when I'm not there...

Ella doesn't even try the kitchen counters, but Great will occasionally make the attempt. Since they're never given human food, or anything other than kibble and fish flakes, the kitchen counter doesn't hold that much fascination for them. However, there are always fresh flowers on the dinning room table and that proves to be too big an incentive for them. Luckily the dinning room table is more for show. (I eat at the table in my office.)

Other than that, there is not a square inch of my place that is off limits to the girls. Especially not the bed… particularly when I'm in it.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I really discourage my 3 cats from getting on the table or kitchen counters but I do have a picture of Mitzi on the table. Other then that they can go anywhere they want. In bed with me is always great. All that purring and knitting really works like a lullaby for me.

The dog is so tall he can rest his head on the table and is eye level with the counter so we really have to watch him. Usually he gets caged when we are eating because he will not leave my daughter alone. She's a soft touch and he knows it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I must weigh in on this discussion. Our sweet Henry got his annual checkup on Friday and he's gained 11 ounces (almost an entire beer!) in the last year. Henry always makes sure that his pudgy little self is warm! He can usually be found either in our bed under the electric blanket or on the back of our couch rolled up in a knitted afghan that my mom made for me. He has his own blanket and his own sleeping bag but he seems to prefer our bed.

We've enjoyed the recent pictures of everyone's pets. Take care.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by catmom3;2245879;
    I really discourage my 3 cats from getting on the table or kitchen counters but I do have a picture of Mitzi on the table. Other then that they can go anywhere they want. In bed with me is always great. All that purring and knitting really works like a lullaby for me.

The dog is so tall he can rest his head on the table and is eye level with the counter so we really have to watch him. Usually he gets caged when we are eating because he will not leave my daughter alone. She's a soft touch and he knows it.

Well it looks like Mitzi is on the tableto merely look out the window, as does Max quite often. I have this hilarious picture of the dog looking at the table or the counter top with those "I'm starving" eyes and am choking on my coffee, because I have a friendwho had a dog that would do that. Just walked to the table put his chin on it and stared....

And doxie- Good to read that Henry had a good checkup, do you need to put him on some different food now? - Thank you for the update
    Last edited by just1paul; 02-18-2007 at 06:33 AM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

I have the same rules as everyone else. No table or counters. Our dog sleeps with us at night but we also have a bench at the end of the bed with a blanket on it and sometimes I find him on that (probably because we kick around and interupt his sleeping). His crate is in our room and sometimes he goes in there. The cat comes in to the bedroom at night sometimes, only for a few minutes of getting some scratching and he just has to stick his butt in my face which I have to maneuver around. Usually I find him on the recliner, which he is known for kicking the dog off of if he wants it. He never lays on the kitchen table but does like to curl up on the chairs. I've never seen him on the counters. His food is on a little table that he jumps onto because otherwise the dog would eat it. And he can look out the kitchen window while he eats (but his head is in that bowl and he doesn't stop to look at the scenery). I just vacuum up the hair from the furniture. It's not a big deal, imo.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2245979;
    It's not a big deal, imo.
    It's really not a big deal ArchieComic Fan. One time many years ago, I was at a friend of a friends house and the cat jumped on the counter top, the owner went ballistic, smacking the cat on the butt really hard and screaming. I grabbed the cat and told this jerk- that I would find a home where beatings do not occur, and I left. I knew someone who wanted a cat that was slightly older than 8-9 months and they adopted the cat, which had a nice long quiet life. The people I took the cat from never asked about it, and the friend who I was with that night called me once after to ask who got the cat. (I never told) and I never heard from that "friend" again.

For heavens' sake, if your feline or canine does something they shouldn't, a stern NO in a non yelling voice is usually enough if repeated enough. No need to beat the or smack the creatures.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

+ Reply to Thread