+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2234875;
    This was just posted on yahoo news photos. I couldn't resist.

Three 45 days-old Bengal white tigers cubs are seen at their cage at the Buenos Aires Zoo Thursday, Feb. 8, 2007. Betty, a captive Bengal white tiger gave birth to two females and one male on Dec. 23, boosting these animals' endangered population. There are only 240 white tigers in the world. (AP Photo/Eduardo Di Baia)
    Nice pictures, misskitty. You should run on down to Omaha and visit our Henry Doorly Zoo. We've got the largest cat complex in North America and there are always at least a couple of white tigers. It's worth a trip to Omaha just to see the zoo.

http://www.answers.com/topic/henry-doorly-zoo

MRD
    Up for adoption: One husband, 45 years old. Mostly housetrained, finicky about food, fairly quiet and content when tv is on.

Oh wait, this is the animal thread. Well the reason I'm putting him up for adoption? He has told our daughter that if she saves her money from working, she can get a dog. We have 2 dogs. Already that is enough to me. We can't go places overnight as we have no one to watch them and I won't board them.
    She wants to go to Golden Retriever rescue which is admirable and I like Goldens, but I think about a big dog in our small house and the other 2 dogs and the acclimation period because Rosie IS THE QUEEN around here.

But I just about had a hissy fit because he never discussed it with me and you know damn well I will end up being the one that does the most for it as that is what I do already.
    ARGH!!!!
    I'd like to put both of them up for adoption and live here alone with Rosie and Bogie. They are perfect. Lots of love and affection, fun to play with, but can't talk. Could you ask for more?

ETA: IF and that's a big IF we let her do this, she has to pay EVERYTHING so it probably wouldn't happen until late spring or summer as the rescue people require $200 for the animal and then a vet visit within the first week. We'd need a bowl, collar, tags, leash, etc. So I told the kid it would be around $500 and she would have to think about her trip to Florida this summer or getting a dog as the dog was going to be HER responsibility as far as buying its food and paying for its care.
    But I am against it for a lot of reasons.

Believe me, I would have 10 dogs if I could. I have taken in several strays, gotten dogs from the humane society, etc. I love animals, but we don't have the room nor ability to take care of more than what we have and then she's going off to college in a few years so guess who will have the dog then?

I should have posted this in peeves as mostly I am peeved at hubby for saying yes without consulting me. And I think the money she's making could be put to better use. However, she has kicked in for groceries around here lately which stunned me, but I was happy that she did on her own without being asked.

I just don't think we need another dog right now.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-09-2007 at 09:43 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Since when is a Golden a big dog??
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2234993;
    Since when is a Golden a big dog??
    I guess its perspective huh Newf?

My parents had one of the BIGGEST goldens I have ever seen. That dog topped 100 pounds and his head came almost to my waist. People used to comment on how freaking huge he was. My brother had this dogs littermate, a female and she was petite, even compared to other Goldens. But my parents dog was a monster in size. But a baby in temperment.

Now don't even start making suggestions about us getting a Newfoundland. I doubt I could afford to feed that!

(I want a corgi, have always wanted one)

Gustav and Bjorn each weighed about 120 pounds by their first birthday, and were rail-thin. My Newfs each eat about 4 cups of kibble a day, so I wouldn't call them big eaters. I've read that Irish Wolfhounds eat about twice that much.

I really like Corgis, too. Pretty little things, smart, sweet, and tough as nails.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2235006;
    Gustav and Bjorn each weighed about 120 pounds by their first birthday, and were rail-thin. My Newfs each eat about 4 cups of kibble a day, so I wouldn't call them big eaters. I've read that Irish Wolfhounds eat about twice that much.

I really like Corgis, too. Pretty little things, smart, sweet, and tough as nails.
    I like watching the dogshows and the Irish wolfhound looks like you could put a saddle on him and ride him he's so big. I knew a guy years ago with Newfoundlands and they were huge. Sweet dogs though, I can see why you like yours. I've had big dogs and small and I actually prefer the smaller dogs for some reason. Corgi would be about as big now as I'm willing to get for myself. Although I do love Golden Retrievers too as my parents was one of the most loving, gentle, well behaved dogs in the world.

I guess what I'm saying is that right now, where we live, and just our overall situation, I don't want another dog.
    If I had land, I'd have more dogs (however, they'd still all be in the house with me, I'm sure. )

myrosie, I think if you sit down with your daughter (husband need not be present ) and have a heart to heart with her about her going on vacations and to college and you winding up being the one who will have to care for the dog when it wasn't your decision, she will probably come around to see it your way. It's easy for other family members to love and play with a pet but without the added responsibility of being the one to take it to the vet (annual shots alone can be costly, and what if there is a medical emergency - who would pay for that??), feed it, buy the food, walk it, etc. and there is usually only one person in the family who does all of that and whoever that person is should be the deciding factor when adding new pets.

My BIL tried to give my husband a puppy several years ago (we already had two of our own) and I had a total fit about it. I'm not proud of it but it was the only way I could get my message across. My husband has a job that keeps him gone for long hours and a second job that takes him away for two weeks every year, and one weekend a month. Who would be the one to care for his present? Me! Who would be the one to take it to the vet? Me! He doesn't even take the one we have now to vet. Who would shop for the food and make sure there is food and water? Me! Who would feel sorry for the dog when he would probably make it a yard dog to avoid caring for it as much as possible? Me! So yes, I had a fit, even threatened divorce. Yeah, I went there, like I said, I'm not proud of it. But did he get the dog? No. Was his life the worse for it? No. And I admit there were other underlying issues with the BIL besides the dog so that had something to do with my attitude as well.

Okay, more info then I meant to tell

Basically, just let her know how much responsibility there really is and that when she is out on her own she can have all the pets she wants but in the meantime she needs to enjoy her freedom to come and go as she pleases and to spend her check as she pleases and can give the current pets some love when she feels the urge. And tell her how sad the dog would be when she went off to college and it wouldn't be fair to do that. Hopefully she will understand.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2235006;

My cute "little" English Mastiff turned 1 yr. in Dec. and is about 120 lb, and growing...They grow for 18 months or so. She eats between 5-6 cups of puppy kibble still (low protein so she doesn't grow too fast, hard on her bones) and is in great shape. Her mother was about 160 lb., and dad topped out at 220 lb.

Hey Newf, I just met an ex pat down here with a beautiful Newfoundland. He makes quite a splash since he is so unusual.

MRD, I totally agree with you. My husband wanted the Mastiff, but whose dog do you really think it is??? Yup, mine, since I spend the most time with her. She has a very sweet temperament and I thank god she doesn't have my little dog's attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2235108;
    I thank god she doesn't have my little dog's attitude.
    Boy do I know what you mean. Boris adores every human being who crosses his path, but no animal better enter our yard. Birds, squirrels, cats.... He once chased a poor Labrador Retriever home with its tail between its legs. Little dog syndrome.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Marleybone: WOW what a great zoo! Love they have an actual Cat Complex I wish I could have a hundred kitties.

myrosiedog: I totally understand your new puppy situation. That wasn't fair of your hubby to offer that without talking to you first. My ex was going to adopt two german shephard pups and we had a big argument. First of all I had two kitties, and he was always away on business. We didn't live together and his family wasn't about to look after his dogs. So I would have been the one doing it all. He just couldn't get it that they take work and need a lot of attention.

canuckinchile
    : Belated birthday to your lil' mastiff

cricketeen: So, Boris is a little protector puppy! Your story was hilarious.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread