+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2225138;
    Marleybone-did I tell you that we have a lady up the street that does Golden Retriever rescue? I have seen her walking anywhere from 2-4 Goldens and one day I was out and we started talking. She has 2 of her own and takes in 1-2 until they get adopted. Her dogs are so beautiful and well groomed. My parents had a Golden and i'd love to have one, one day, but with the 2 "terrier-ists" we have now, I don't think I could add another dog, especially a big one. But I love Goldens and your Katie is just Beautiful.
    Thank you. We got our first Golden from a rescue club here in Nebraska. He had been in a "foster home" and his foster mom adopted him, but she had cancer and got too sick to take care of him so he went to another foster home until we adopted him when he was 2 years old. I highly recommend adopting a dog from rescue, they work really hard to make sure the dog is in good shape for adoption whether it be taking care of medical issues such as heartworm or getting them spayed/neutered, dealing with behavior issues or just getting their vaccinations up to date. The dogs are evaluated well to make sure they are placed in the right home, and potential owners are carefully screened as well so that every adoption has the best chance of being successful and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2225128;
    My mom used to call me CJ a lot and my brother JJ. We got a stray that we ended up keeping and it just got called Cat. Since our last name was Jones, it got shortened to CJ for Cat Jones. Well, since I got called CJ, I never knew who my mom was talking too. Move ahead 20 something years and my parents get a golden retriever at Christmas and name him Jingle Jones which got shortened to Jay and then JJ. My brother protested and I said: "Hey, they named a cat after me when I was a kid, so get used to it" He never really did like the fact that the dog was called JJ. Oh well.
    This is kind of funny. The full name of the cat know as John in my list o' cat names was John Jacob Bobcat Waring Hunt, sometimes known as Jingleheimer Schmidt. My mother's husband shortened it to JJ, which bugged the heck out of me. I'm not sure why I'm seeing any sort of parallel here, but I am .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2225149;
    This is kind of funny. The full name of the cat know as John in my list o' cat names was John Jacob Bobcat Waring Hunt, sometimes known as Jingleheimer Schmidt. My mother's husband shortened it to JJ, which bugged the heck out of me. I'm not sure why I'm seeing any sort of parallel here, but I am .
    Well I think my brother never got over the fact that he was named John Jones to begin with. He's heard so much crap over that and especially checking into motels. And he hates when people say they have to go the "john". He says: "hey, I don't say I have to go to the "george" do I?"

Getting back to animals, we never gave Rosie or Bogie middle names, but I call them Rosie Posey and Bogie Wogie a lot and I call Bogie: "my Big Boy" or "big boy" a lot which my husband hates because I used to have a boyfriend whose nickname was "Big Boy" and that's what EVERYONE called him. He was 6'5 and was always a big kid and his mom started the nick name, so I think when I say "big boy" to Bogie it makes my husband a little jealous.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I love Golden Retrievers and would love to get one (pup or rescued adult--doesn't matter to me--sometimes the idea of having a pre-trained dog is really appealing), but our cat would die of jealousy. Literally. He's very possessive! But we both work full-time and I don't want to have a dog that I can only see from 7 p.m. on. I'd have to do something about my allergies, too.

We have the Boston Terrier, Plurpy, whose picture is upthread. We got him from a breeder who had determined that he wasn't quite, ah, "up" to the job. "Plurpy" is a family dog name; my husband's family had three or four Plurpys while he was growing up, all different breeds and mixes. Our Plurpy was Bo Diddley when we got him, but Plurpy suits him better.

We also have four cats: Mickey (a tuxedo) and Calliope (a longhair tortie), aka Peanut, were rescues. I found Calliope in the garden 13.5 years ago, cold and abandoned. She still had umbilical cord attached. I was doing dishes the next day and heard a piercing yowling, and went out to discover Mickey under a pumpkin leaf. I'd raised orphans before, so I managed to care for those two.

We added alpha cat Calloway, an enormous grey with orange tabby markings, and Genoa, a petite longhair tabby and white. I'd always wanted a grey cat, and when we heard of people from church who had some, I went to get Calloway. Gennie was so gorgeous that I couldn't resist her, and dd#1 and I brought them both home. My husband took some convincing to keep both of them, but he came around.

Calloway on the left, Genoa on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Jasmar - those pictures are so adorable.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Abbie the Springer Spaniel is so lovingly named after Absolut Vodka. It was either that or Becky for Beck's beer and only the hubby likes Beck's.
    Last edited by marybethp; 02-02-2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: the one year old decided to hit post before I was done!

jasmar - What do you FEED those cats? I've been howling at my computer as I've enlarged their pictures. Wowza!
    Count your blessings!

Genoa isn't actually very big - she's mostly all fluff. I think she weighs about 6 pounds. Calloway, on the other hand, is a monster. And he has no compunctions against throwing his weight around. He intimidates Plurpy! But he is a big love.

I don't know how he's gotten so big. We've fed Precise for years - and only twice a day. I guess it's just in his genes!
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar;2225662;
    Genoa isn't actually very big - she's mostly all fluff. I think she weighs about 6 pounds. Calloway, on the other hand, is a monster. And he has no compunctions against throwing his weight around. He intimidates Plurpy! But he is a big love.

I don't know how he's gotten so big. We've fed Precise for years - and only twice a day. I guess it's just in his genes!

Like my Joey he's 17 pounds but doesn't eat that much and he's tall and long. and a big baby to boot.

+ Reply to Thread