+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2224288;
    PHENDER - thats creative! and a cute name to boot.

Anyone know anything about having the kids ashes dumped in with mine when I go? would that be legal or would I have to have someone do it on the sly?
    My parents wanted this done with their ashes and that of their Golden Retriver. We just did it at home before the memorial service.
    I'd ask someone you trust to do it when the time comes. Or if you have made pre-arrangements, ask the funeral home about it. Believe me, they get stranger requests. Not that yours is strange. I find it very normal as that is what we did with my parents and their dog.

I love seeing the pictures everyone posts of their babies. I will post one of mine enjoying the snow yesterday. He's depressed now. Seriously. The snow has mostly melted and he keeps going out and looking at what's left of it, sniffing it and looking at me with his tail down and this expression on his face like: "my new toy is GONE"

As for names. My husband and I adopted a stray the year we got married. We think she was a schnauzer and standard poodle mix. I kept calling her Annie because she was like a sad little (although she wasn't little) "orphan" when we found her. When our daughter was born, she was very protective, but she never really played with our daughter much. So the kid had been begging for a "dog of her own" when she was around 5. So for her 6th birthday, we got Rosie. We were considering a beagle, but my husband did some work for a guy that bred Jack Russells and they ended up bartering the puppy for the work. My daughter named her Rosie after Rosie O'Donnell (I know, but at the time, Rosie had JUST started her talk show and wasn't as obnoxious). Then everyone fell in love with her and kept asking us to bred her so they could have one of her puppies. I had never done that (and will not ever again) and we did. We kept a male and my husband insisted it was his turn to name the dog. After going through Gator, and a few others, he settled on Bogart for his favorite actor. It became Bogie very quickly and now since he's such a goofball, my husband calls him Bogus. By this time, Annie had died and Rosie was feeling it as she and Annie had bonded after Annie bit her on the nose (she still has the scar) and so we knew we'd keep a puppy. As much as I miss Annie and she was a GREAT dog, Bogie is now "mine" and he has bonded to me and is by my side ALWAYS. If I have him alone, I don't have to use a leash. Rosie has become the "bad girl, Queen Bee" and steers him astray and lets him take the blame for stuff we have now found out was her.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Regarding pet names, well, cat names specifically, Mr. Rattus and I have been the happy cohabitants of Lepo (named for a Robyn Hitchcock song "Lep-lep-lep-lep-lepo and the ju-ju-ju-juves, jumps on anything that mo-mo-mo-mo-moves"), Salope (a very sweet flirtatious little cat, named for the French slang for, let's say, tramp), Spotty (a stray whom we didn't intend to keep but had to be called something while we decided what to do - ended up staying of course, so the name stuck), Harvey (another stray, quite handsome I always thought, so named for my childhood crush, Laurence Harvey), and Finley (it took us forever to name him. I wanted Monkey [you'd understand if you could see him in action in the tree], but Mr. Rattus was not so keen on that, and I didn't care for any of his choices. One Saturday about two weeks after Fin moved in, we were reading the papers and there was an article about celebrity baby names and I mentioned Phinneus (sp?), which we ended up breaking down into Finley, and we're all four happy with the choice).

Cats I've had throughout my life have been St. John, Candy, Fred, John, Leroy and Air Raid. The two dogs we owned briefly when I was very young were Eway (sp?), apparently the Swahili word for "come here", and Georgie Cabbage, whom I named for I have no idea what.

We also tend to name the assorted strays and wanderers that spend any amount of time in our yard. The big, mean orange cat was Gary, named for a big, stupid redheaded guy I knew when I was young, the trouble-making tabby who sprays our windows all the time is Tabernac (you Canadians may understand why), the young, slinky grey cat with shortish hair, pointy nose and bushy tail is Vixen, and the black and white friend of Harv's who was a master manipulator was called Nic because we found out what his actual name was (Patches) and we didn't like it, so it just kind of graduated to Nicotine Patch to Nicotine to Nic.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus
    Cats I've had throughout my life have been St. John, Candy, Fred, John, Leroy and Air Raid.
    Okay, I want to know the story behind Air Raid's name.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

You named a cat after a Robyn Hitchcock song? That is so cool!

Being ever the culture slut, I've always loved the idea of naming my pets after popcultural heroes. Before I got my two babies, I wanted to name my cats Belle and Sebastian (after the band) or Cooper and Audrey (after Twin Peaks) but that idea didn't amount to much as I ended up with two females. Stella is a great song by Interpol, though, and Saga is a character from one of my favourite children's books, so in a sense I actually did stay true to my intentions.

If (when I've persuaded my significant other) we decide to get a third cat, I'm thinking of naming her Smilla, after Peter Hoeg's novel. I like the idea of giving all of my pets name that start with the same letter.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2225093;
    Okay, I want to know the story behind Air Raid's name.
    Actually, it came to me in a dream . I dreamt that I was living in London in the late '30s and I had a German Shepherd named Air Raid, and every time I stood at the front door calling "Air Raid, Air Raid", panic would ensue in the neighbourhood. My dreams used to be very lively.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Our dear departed hamster once won an award for most unusual name at the summer recreation animal show. The name on his adoption certificate from the hamster rescue was "Ruff", as his brother was "Tumble" and they liked the alternative spelling. From there it morphed........

Because we crooned "Ruffy baby" to him, it became "Ruff E. Baby", then the kids decided that the E needed to stand for something. They picked "Edwin" not knowing that it was their great-grandfather's middle name. "Ruff Edwin Baby" didn't roll off the tongue too well, so "Ruff" became "Rufford".

The hamster rescue was run by the family next door and their favorite personal hamster (they rescued and adopted out over 100) was "Lady something-or-other". The kids decided that "Rufford Edwin Baby" needed to be her protector, so "Sir" was added. They were discussing knights and King Arthur and his final name became.......

Sir Rufford Edwin Baby, Knight of the Round Wheel

We have a certificate and newspaper article to prove it.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2224875;
    Oh, Pommy. Misty is adorable. What a sweet little face. Looks like she's settling in just fine

I have two cats right now - a beautiful tabby boy called Jasper (his pic is somewhere in this thread), who I named after Jasper Johns, and Suki, my petite, little long-haired black girl. I've been hugging them both a lot closer lately.
    Thanks, Critical!! (I MISS YOU!) I hope you'll have the chance to post some current pictures soon. I love seeing pictures of everyone's animals in here!!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2225116;

Sir Rufford Edwin Baby, Knight of the Round Wheel

We have a certificate and newspaper article to prove it.
    Oh that is too funny. I had a cat as a kid that got named Nicky. Not sure why, but I decided he needed a better name and it ended up being St. Nicholas Von Hoffman Jones.

My mom used to call me CJ a lot and my brother JJ. We got a stray that we ended up keeping and it just got called Cat. Since our last name was Jones, it got shortened to CJ for Cat Jones. Well, since I got called CJ, I never knew who my mom was talking too. Move ahead 20 something years and my parents get a golden retriever at Christmas and name him Jingle Jones which got shortened to Jay and then JJ. My brother protested and I said: "Hey, they named a cat after me when I was a kid, so get used to it" He never really did like the fact that the dog was called JJ. Oh well.

Premium Member
    Pom - Misty looks like a real sweetheart. Good for you for taking her in.

roseskid - I love the name Howard. I found a site that has 2000 dog names and Howard was in there. I thought it was a great name when I saw it, and I had even forgotten that it was your dog's name.

MRD
    Marleybone-did I tell you that we have a lady up the street that does Golden Retriever rescue? I have seen her walking anywhere from 2-4 Goldens and one day I was out and we started talking. She has 2 of her own and takes in 1-2 until they get adopted. Her dogs are so beautiful and well groomed. My parents had a Golden and i'd love to have one, one day, but with the 2 "terrier-ists" we have now, I don't think I could add another dog, especially a big one. But I love Goldens and your Katie is just Beautiful.

My parents golden would lay on the floor and my daughter would lay down with her head on his tummy and take her bottle. I never got a picture of it and now I wish I had, it was so cute. He worshipped her even tho as a toddler, she wasn't always easy on him. But he never ever snapped at her while she learned not to pull his ears or tail. My dad WORSHIPPED this dog and spoiled him so much. We used to tease my mom that if the house caught on fire and dad had a choice, that we were afraid it would be the dog he saved. Sick twisted humor, but true.

+ Reply to Thread