+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Has it already been discussed here why you all named you pets the names your gave them? If not, I'd love to hear them!

All the dog and kitty shots are gorgeous! Unk's two little boys are adorable looking at the snow falling...in the first picture--they look so curious!

gabriel, I know that now's not the time to think about it but would you consider adopting a little brother or sister for Joey sometime in the future? It may give him a chance to be the alpha kitty, since we all know that Mona was definitely the Queen Bee. (I don't mean to sound insensitive. I just remember Unk being so sad and then being so happy after he adopted his boys.)

M-shell I can relate to the toilet paper being torn up. I usually have to keep the bathroom doors closed. They pretty much leave it alone now. Cute pictures of your babies.
    misskitty they're about 9 months old now.

CCL
    Gabriel - take care of you, and Joey. I think Mona & my boy might have to have staring contests...he was master of the look himself.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2223868;
    Has it already been discussed here why you all named you pets the names your gave them? If not, I'd love to hear them!
    My first dog was named Brandy because her mother was named Schnapps. I thought it was cute giving her another alcoholic name. Luke and Marley (golden retreivers) were rescue/shelter dogs so they came with their names. My current dogs are Katie (golden retreiver - my av), my oldest son chose her name. A high school classmate of his that he had gone to school with since 5th grade had recently been killed in a car accident and her name was Katie. I call her Katie Jo sometimes because in my candle making I have a scent called "Katie Jo's Pink Lemonade" and I thought that sounded cute. Dolly (silky terrier) was named after her mother, who was named Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    gabriel, I know that now's not the time to think about it but would you consider adopting a little brother or sister for Joey sometime in the future? It may give him a chance to be the alpha kitty, since we all know that Mona was definitely the Queen Bee. (I don't mean to sound insensitive. I just remember Unk being so sad and then being so happy after he adopted his boys.)
    When we lost Marley to cancer it had only been 8 months since we had lost Luke to a terrible accident. In the last days before we had to let Marley go we swore that losing 2 dogs so close together was too much and we weren't going to get another dog for awhile. Then the day after Marley died we came home and the house was so quiet, Dolly was moping around, and the next question was, "OK, how long can we really stand not having a golden retreiver in the house?" The very next weekend my husband was reading the paper and found an ad for golden puppies. One phone call and 20 minutes later we were in the car headed for a farm in southwest Iowa, and there was our Katie.

We weren't getting a new dog to "replace" Marley just like we knew Marley was not replacing Luke, but she was exactly what we needed to fill the hole that was left in our hearts after we lost Marley. The timing of when to get a new pet is different for everyone, but if and when the time is right you'll know.

I got Chauncy from a neighbor so he already was named. She couldn't take him where she was moving to. I had him for 17 years. Yes, this is me in 1988.

I got Tigger and Cinnamon from a friend who was driving cross country to AZ with her newborn and a dog and really didn't have the room. She lived with me when her child was born so the cats were already used to Chauncy. He had been around several cats that other roomies of mine had. He loved to play with his kitties.

Tigger was obviously named after Tigger from Winnie the Pooh. Jenny said he bounced everywhere when she first got him, Cinnamon (I don't have a picture of him on my new computer) was named because that was his color.

Laurel & Hardy were named because they are funny as hell and Laurel was a scrawny little guy, Hardy being the bigger of the two. Stargazer bottle fed these guys and raised them from birth. She did a fine job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2223949;
    The timing of when to get a new pet is different for everyone, but if and when the time is right you'll know.
    I had no intentions of getting another pet, but when Star posted the pictures of these 2 my heart melted. It was meant to be.

All the dog and kitty shots are gorgeous! Unk's two little boys are adorable looking at the snow falling...in the first picture--they look so curious!

let me answer the question about adoption first - I have thought about it long & hard and no I won't adopt again. I hadn't planned on adopting Mona or Joey, but the circumstances behind me getting Mona was that a friend of mine had 2 cats (not related)and he was moving to Florida from Milwaukee, and I don't recall the reason he couldn't take the 2 girls. Well I had sat for the 2 girls before and I found out that the other had gotten adopted and he was going to have to take Mona to the humane society because she was a "plain old tabby" and no one wanted to adopt her. So I was like you can't do that. I'll take her. Fast forward a year or so and my drunky ex - decided he wanted a kitten to "love him" - so Joey was adopted as his cat. - When I left in 1997 Joey had just turned a year so I told drunky Mona is mine,you keep Joey, he insisted I keep Joey which was the only rational thing he's ever done in his life, so that's where we are. No I will not adopt again and Joey needs a lot of attention, always has. After he goes to the Rainbow Bridge - I'm going to be selfish and not have any more.

Now onto the first part about the names: It's actually quite funny but the guy I adopted Mona from named her Ms. Mona Lott after a drag queen, I just dropped the Lott and she simply yet richly became Miss Mona to me. Joey is actually his 3rd name - Drunky didn't know what to name him so for the first week he was called buddy, then drunky changed it to ZOEY because some other drunk fool (not me) told him he was a SHE (thats how tiny he was) I was like it's a BOY fool by now Zoey is used to the name, so it was changed to JOEY.

We all do have a bunch of cute and good looking four legged kids don't we?

PS - Marleybone - I think it's hilarious about naming the dogs after BOOZE.
    Last edited by just1paul; 02-01-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    PS - Marleybone - I think it's hilarious about naming the dogs after BOOZE.
    I thought you'd get a kick out of that.

We got Rocko from a good friend about 6 years ago who got her from the SPCA, so I'm really not sure where her name came from. My buddy had three big dogs at the time and was trying to move out from his parents house. No one wanted to rent to a 20 year old with a Pitbull x Newfoundlander (Rocko) a Pitbull x Shar pei (Molly) and a big white fluffy dog, not sure the breed (Chino). I fought so hard not to get her, but I am so glad we did. Not only was she the perfect dog to help me get over my fear of dogs but, our friend died a couple of years ago in a car accident which makes Rocko even more special to us.

As for Phender, the BF wanted a motor cycle and I kept on telling him how we couldn't affort it. A guy he works with decided to sell his and he gave it to him for a really good deal. I was less than happy about it, so he caved about his 'NO CATS' rule to make me happy. So I was brain storming names, but he kept talking about all the changes he was going to make to his bike and he kept talking about the fender. After the 1037th time hearing it, I kinda liked the sound of it for a name, he loved it of course. It worked out perfectly seeing how she has a fender instead of a tail. We changed the F to a Ph so it was more of a name and not so much a motorbike part.

PHENDER - thats creative! and a cute name to boot.

Anyone know anything about having the kids ashes dumped in with mine when I go? would that be legal or would I have to have someone do it on the sly?

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2224026;
    let me answer the question about adoption first - I have thought about it long & hard and no I won't adopt again.
    Never say never my friend. Here's a post of mine from back when.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;1925094;
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. This is the first time in 25 years I haven't had an animal in the house. I doubt if I'll be getting another though.
    Famous last words.

+ Reply to Thread