+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1140Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

gabriel: I'm glad to hear that Joey appears to be ok and he is there to support you and Mona.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

It's been a long night of about 20 min total of sleep, something all of my friends here at the FORT have been through. It's going to be a long day -thinking and deciding just when is enough and when is the quality of life not the same. Mona just ate a bit of tuna and then went right back to bed. She hasn't been doing any of her "normal" things for awhile, like following me to bed and jumping up on it when I lay down, no looking out the window, things like that. I would rather be cautious and I'll talk to the vet because I want to send her off to the Rainbow Bridge BEFORE she has to encounter any "real" pain, if you know what I mean. Thank You all for your kind words & support and I'll keep you posted.

gabriel - I wish I knew what to say. Words just don't seem to convey how sorry I am to hear about Mona. Please be comforted by the good times you have had together and know that she's aware of how well you have taken care of her throughout her life. I know you'll make the best decision for Mona no matter how difficult it is for you.

Mona (Wednesday 1/31/07)

First off - I think it's best we keep the appointment today at 4:50PM - I will be calling the Dr. later.
    I have had a sleepless night, with many thoughts and of course tears, but after watching Mona, thinking about what she used to do and coming to the conclusion that this will not improve I have decided that it it probably best if I have her laid to rest today.

This came after thinking of all the little things, like following me to bed, sitting watching out the window, running when I said TUNA. None of this has been happening for a long time now. I had attributed it to old age, but even old age wouldn't stop some of these things it would just be slower. Another thing is she is just barely eating enough to sustain, I have not seen anything other than urine in the box for about 5 days now. She can't get comfortable in her chair and is constantly moving around.

I don't think it would be right for me to keep her alive like this and hope she'll pass away in her sleep, because it could progress to a point that she would be in much pain and discomfort. It would be selfish of me.

My plan is to take her, but not be present when she is injected and to have her ashes given to me when they are ready.

MRD
    Gabriel,
    God be with you and Mona today. You know the rest of us are with you and will be thinking about you both.

I truly wish I could be there with you to help you when its over. I know this is such a hard decision and its tough to make alone.

You sound like you've made the decision that is right for both you and Mona. I am so sorry she's suffering so.

My heart goes out to you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

gabriel - You have made a very difficult decision, but one that is best for Mona. She knows you love her and trusts you to make the best decision for her. My thoughts are with you.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    gabriel, you're a good dad to Mona to think about her needs above yours. You have made the decision that my husband and I said we would make with our cat when the time comes. I know it's going to be painful for you and heartbreaking and hope that you realize what a selfless act you're doing. BIG HUGS. May Mona rest in peace. I'm glad Joey is there to comfort you.

Gabriel, I can see how much this is breaking your heart. I'm deeply sorry for you.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Gabriel, you have made the right decision. A few years ago we hung on to our sweet Salope, hoping things would get better, but nothing in my life has ever made me feel worse than watching her suffer because we were selfish. Again, my deepest sympathies to both you and Joey.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

CCL
    Gabriel - your description of how Mona is acting so brings to mind how my sweet boy was a few years back when we had to make the same decision you are making now. You're right to think about her quality of life and I know you want what is best for her. But it's still terribly hard, even knowing that it is the best option. My deepest sympathies.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread