+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2219071;
    she's a bit more alert, but has been gagging and drooling a lot when she sleeps, it's almost as if something is working it's way out, but we shall know more wednesday. As for Joey - I awoke to an 18 pound (yes 18 pounds) full force landing on my chest this morning at 3:00AM... need I say more? How is Gracie-kins & Mr. Tootles and their "mummy"?
    Thanks gabriel! Hopefully Wed. will bring you some answers. Sorry to hear Mona's gagging. Maybe a major furball? WOO WOO Joey IS a big boy He could have fun with Mr. Tootles who's tipping the scales at 16 pounds! And Yes, landing on your chest on the bed is a nice but heavy hearted morning welcome! At least Joey doesn't bite you until you acknowledge him. Little Miss Gracie is still less than 5 lbs but is very happy and has adopted the soft sweater, blankey, towel and body pillow all stacked nicely at the bench at the end of my bed. She's like the princess and the pea! Minus the pea!

Kisses to your kitties

Gutmutter: You have a small dog! BTW have you seen any of the dog slings that are HOT right now? They're similar to baby slings but are now being used for small dogs? I will try to find a pic.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I have seen those, but my dog likes to walk. I don't know if he'd be comfortable being carried. Then again, he loves sitting on my lap. He doesn't like being picked up much, though.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2219097;
    I have seen those, but my dog likes to walk. I don't know if he'd be comfortable being carried. Then again, he loves sitting on my lap. He doesn't like being picked up much, though.
    Attachment 19155Attachment 19157Attachment 19156

The new sling isn't like the 1st one I show here. These are very much like a baby sling for small dogs so you carry them very close to your chest and people think you have a small child and then go Ooooooo it's a puppy! More like the 2nd pic. Then I found one with a cat in it. Yeah right. Like a cat would atually stay in a sling!

Mr. Tootles does like to walk on a leash but only half a block or so. Gracie is more of a freedom girl.
    Last edited by misskitty; 02-05-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I used to have a cat, many moons ago, that liked to go inside my jacket if I took her outside. A sling would have been perfect for her. She also liked to put her paws around my neck and her throat against the side of my neck...hugging like a baby...if something scared her. She was a sweetie!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have a question for all of you pet owners.

I have two older cats, both about to be 12. I've had them since they were both babies. They've always shared a food dish, and I've always let them "graze", just eating whenever they were hungry, and filling their bowl when it got low.

Now one of them has to be on a restricted diet. He has some digestive issues, and until I'm able to identify the irritant he's going to be on a strict all people food meat-all the time diet. No more regular cat food for him. This means that they both lose grazing privileges.

Have any of you had to make this transition? If so, do you have any tips? I'm not sure how either of them are going to react to a feeding schedule, and, hell, I don't know how I'M going to react to it either. Is the healthier one at risk of losing weight because of this?

I'm just stumped. I'm committed to following the vet's orders, of course, but I'm not sure of the logistics yet.

prhoshay: Awwwwww!

Amanda. Good Luck with that!

Actually, when my Dad had my kitties he changed from grazing to a more regular schedule and they got used to it fairly quickly. Also, you may want to start putting out two bowls in the same spot and then moving them apart so each one gets used to eating from their own bowl in their own spot. But if they are fed the same thing that may not matter so much. If they are fed differently, you may need to try something like that.

I honestly don't know if one would suffer because of the food changes required by the other. You may need to watch their reactions carefully for the first while and see how they actually do.

I think the difficult part is that you will have to adjust to the new routine! Humans don't always adjust to change as quickly as animals.

Seriously, though, I wish you well. I'm sure your vet will have some suggestions if you have difficulty.

You could always put a bowl of chow in a closed room with the healthy cat while you feed the special food to the sick one in the usual eating place. You'd have to pick it up when they're back together, but you might leave a little of the human food out, or feed the healthy one tidbits on the sly. Good luck.
    Count your blessings!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2219071;
    she's a bit more alert, but has been gagging and drooling a lot when she sleeps, it's almost as if something is working it's way out, but we shall know more wednesday. As for Joey - I awoke to an 18 pound (yes 18 pounds) full force landing on my chest this morning at 3:00AM... need I say more? How is Gracie-kins & Mr. Tootles and their "mummy"?
    Hope you find out more about Mona on Wed. Still praying that she is ok.

Boy, that is a rude awakening isn't it?

My husband sleeps on his stomach and when Rosie decides he's slept long enough, she stands on his back and licks his ears. He hates it. I think its funny as anything.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2220290;

I have two older cats, both about to be 12. I've had them since they were both babies. They've always shared a food dish, and I've always let them "graze", just eating whenever they were hungry, and filling their bowl when it got low.

Now one of them has to be on a restricted diet. He has some digestive issues, and until I'm able to identify the irritant he's going to be on a strict all people food meat-all the time diet. No more regular cat food for him. This means that they both lose grazing privileges.

Have any of you had to make this transition? If so, do you have any tips? I'm not sure how either of them are going to react to a feeding schedule, and, hell, I don't know how I'M going to react to it either. Is the healthier one at risk of losing weight because of this?

I'm just stumped. I'm committed to following the vet's orders, of course, but I'm not sure of the logistics yet.

Feeding different cats different diets is one of the harder things that I've had to do. Fortunately, everybody could graze, but only 1 had to have moist food (strangely, my ladies aren't very interested in people food.) Like you've said, completely take up the grazing food. This restriction will have you hopping for a while since, like the spoiled children that they are, they are used to having what they want when they want. I don't think there would be any problem with the unrestricted kitty having some of the same food that restricted kitty eats. My 2 unrestricted have not had any weight issues with having some of the moist food (which they really don't need); the other is trying to gain weight. Put unrestricted kitty in the closed bathroom, or wherever, with the grazing food. Make where you put it convenient to you, since I think you will be frequently on call.

I have no idea how you handle this when you're at work, unless you can take 'restricted' to work with you. I have done that before.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2220290;

Amanda, you can put two dishes in different locations in the house or serve both of them both the special diet.

+ Reply to Thread