+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

I Is Stephanie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2210985;
    I'm getting a new pet today that I don't especially want, but will make a difference in a child's life. My Little Sister has an illegal cat and guinea pig and they are moving to subsidized housing so she has to get rid of them and wanted me to take them. I said I couldn't take the cat because he's male, unneutered and their apartment reeks because of him. I also have a son with cat allergies and we already have one. When he's home from college, he's miserable with sneezing and itching. I said I would take the guinea pig because this poor little girl loves animals and now will have none. I see her every week for 2-3 hours, so at least she will have the guinea pig to play with. I've never had one and have checked the internet - they seem pretty easy to care for. Anyone had one? Pros? Cons? Advice?
    Aww... Guniea pig? I had 2, up until they died a year ago...They're fairly low-maintence, you just throw some timothy hay and romaine lettuce greens into the cage every night, and they're happy!

It HAS to be romaine though, as any other type is so sweet that they'll get addicted to it, and, if you try to cut them off, they'll starve themselves to death. It's equivilant to Meth for humans.

We also had luck feeding them carrots, cucumbers, and their absolute favorites, Dandilion greens and clover flowers. Vanilla especially loved the purple clovers.

They're very clean usually, they'll choose 1 area of their cage to make their messes in, and they'll keep it there (for the most part). The only problem is keeping the bedding fresh, as it WILL get soggy and smelling fairly quickly, since it's all so concentrated. We used pulverized newspaper to bed with- biodegradable and absorbant, I can't remember the brand, but it was white and came in a green package....

ETA: I am allergic to cats (Very allergic), and the Guinea Pigs did cause problems for me sometimes, but they also lived in my bedroom. If you have carpet, this might be a problem, but I don't think it will be too bad...I was told that Guinea pigs and cats share a lot of the same genes.

Funny: Every single cat I've ever met was terrifyed of guinea pigs, my sister's best friend did this trick where she'd put the guinea pig on the grass, and it would chase the cat all the way around the yard!

Jessebel is the golden one, and Vanilla is the one that looks like a sundae...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 11sstephanie; 01-22-2007 at 08:19 PM.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

[QUOTE=Newfherder;2210772;]Gustav is enjoying the fresh snow. He was snowier when he came in, but melting faster than I could operate the camera. (Click for slightly larger image)

I love Newfs! In grade 3 (about a hundred years ago) we had to join a Friday club, and I chose Pet Club. The lady that volunteered to run it had a Canadian National Champion Newfoundland dog. I have never forgotten how sweet and patient that dog was. Hubby wanted an English Mastiff, so that is what we have now among various and sundry. I have to say she is just as sweet.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Meet Izzy...the newest member to my family....not my house unfortunately but still in my family...she's my 5 year old nephew's.

Izzy is a 9 week old Boston Terrier who is now, officially after a week in the family, spoiled rotten!!! I'm sure I will be posting more pictures as I think she is the cutest little thing to ever be!

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I Is Stephanie
    Oh! I WANT ONE!!! How much does your family want for her?
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

FORT Newbie
    My boston terrier swallowed a needle one time and I have to take it out, painful eh?

Hubby wanted an English Mastiff, so that is what we have now among various and sundry. I have to say she is just as sweet.
    I don't doubt that for a second. Mastiffs are wonderful teddy bears. Gustav took some classes with a monster of a Mastiff named Ernie, and they were best buddies.

bbnbama, that is one cute baby!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Oh. My. God. Izzy is SO CUTE!!!!!!!! I'm not even a fan of little dogs as a general rule, but that is one cutie patootie dog.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

She is adorable bnb. My best friend had one when we were kids growing up.
    ETA Laurel just got locked in my closet for about half an hour. I'm doing laundry and he got in when I was getting some hangers. Now Hardy and him are chasing each other all over the house. I love these guys to death.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 01-22-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Bbnbama, your dog looks adorable.

Izzy is ADORABLE!! Please post more pics, I'm drooling!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread