+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1385Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

I found a home for the stray orange cat that was so smart he was coming in the pet door every night. I would have kept him but my cat was so distraught over his presence that he would periodically make himself sick. I even had my cat checked out by the vet and nothing was wrong with him. And he only got sick after getting worked up by the other cat. I'm happy I found him a home where he can sleep inside and she said he would be an inside all the time cat. I was happy about that because he really just wanted a nice cozy home. My cat seems to be fine these past couple of days. I have other strays hanging around but none of them cause my cat distress like this one did. I guess just like with people, animal personalities can clash too .

Also, I recently got digital cable and discovered the world of the Dog Whisperer. I love that show and I've only seen a couple of episodes sp far. There were 4 on back to back last night so I taped them and will watch them later today. I'm up now because of periodic bouts of insomnia. Maybe I'll try to watch an episode now. There's no way I could handle some of the dogs Caesar does. That's why I stick to little dogs for pets.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I'm getting a new pet today that I don't especially want, but will make a difference in a child's life. My Little Sister has an illegal cat and guinea pig and they are moving to subsidized housing so she has to get rid of them and wanted me to take them. I said I couldn't take the cat because he's male, unneutered and their apartment reeks because of him. I also have a son with cat allergies and we already have one. When he's home from college, he's miserable with sneezing and itching. I said I would take the guinea pig because this poor little girl loves animals and now will have none. I see her every week for 2-3 hours, so at least she will have the guinea pig to play with. I've never had one and have checked the internet - they seem pretty easy to care for. Anyone had one? Pros? Cons? Advice?
    Count your blessings!

Sorry Gutmutter, I can't help you out there. Newf - those pictures are adorable!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

We had guinea pigs when I was a kid. I don't recall them being much of a bother, but Mom may have had a different take on it . We kept them in wooden pens with screened doors (about a 1/4" mesh, I think.) The floor was lined with newspapers and cedar shavings. They will eat about the same food as rabbits, so that isn't a problem. Allergies may be a problem, but if your son is already miserable because of the cat, I doubt that the guinea pig is going to make it worse.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Awww I am in with Gustav
    There were some Newf mix pups at a shelter about 40 miles from here.
    But, they won't adopt a pup to someone pregnant, even if the person was raised on a farm and has never not had a few dogs in their lives *sigh*
    It's just as well though, Now I can hold out for the real thing someday
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Newf, Gustav is a beautiful snow dog!

Newf: Gustav looks like he had a TON of FUN!

ARC: I'm glad you found a home for your stray. I'm sorry your kitty was sick because of the stress but that does happen at times.

Gutmutter: How sweet of you to take the guinea pig. I think they are fairly simple and make sweet squeeky sounds too! I hope the puppy finds a good home and gets fixed up too.

gabriel: I am SOOOOOOooo glad that Mona has her appetite back and is having good BM's. Can't believe we are talking about our pets being regular. That's usually what seniors talk about over coffee isn't it? Oh, but she is a senior isn't she. Sweet little Mona. Hopefully Joey will get back into sorts with her feeling better too.

You 've been a great Dr. gabriel!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Gutmutter: The only thing I know about guinea pigs is that oranges are crack. My daughter had one that could smell an orange being peeled from two rooms away. As soon as it smelled the orange, it would start whistling, chirping, squeeking, singing until it got a piece!

Gustav looks like he enjoys the snow as much as my malamute. My poor pup has had nothing but rain this year, though.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Good to know anemone! I didn't actually get it yesterday because my Little Sister's basketball team won their play-off basketball game and had to continue playing another game and then a potluck dinner and we had to cancel. So I have another week to get ready. That actually works out better since my son with allergies will be back at school by then.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread