+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Myrosiedog - I know they microchip pets here in my town and in the Columbia area also, so there should be someone up your way that will do it. We're behind the times in some things, but we're not quite that bad.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2201031;
    I've also heard of the tattooing, but I would NEVER do that to my dogs.
    Just curious, why not? My oldest cat's inner ear is tattooed - I don't recall there being an option for a microchip at that time, she's nearly 14 years old - and she had it done at the same time she was fixed (when she was under). It has never bothered her that I noticed.

ETA: Good thing your dog didn't get too much chocolate down before you caught her! By the way, does anyone know if chocolate affects cats the same way as dogs? Our tomcat is a terrible scrounger, and I know he's gotten chocolate crumbs from the floor, and he even chewed through plastic wrap to get to cookies that were wrapped up on the counter. He's never suffered any ill effects from it, though.
    Last edited by AJane; 01-10-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I Is Stephanie
    My town has only just started Microchipping, but it seems a little expensive. It's $50 for a dog, and I'm not sure how much for a cat, but it's not much less. What do you guys have to pay?

And click on the picture.. it's funny! Seriously.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

The pets getting into food stories reminds me of a cat we used to have. He loved bread and would jump up on our counter and knock the bread to the floor so that he could share it with the dogs. Ah, good times.

I Is Stephanie
    My mom tells a story about how when she was in her teens, one of her friends had a Great Dane. One day they had some baking supplies out on the table to make some cookies (including 2 pounds of butter), and suddenly, the heard a loud slurp. They tuned around, and there was little ol' Rufus, looking sick, almost as though he has just eaten 2 pounds of butter.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2201127;
    By the way, does anyone know if chocolate affects cats the same way as dogs?
    It does. The theobromine in chocolate is bad for cats and dogs. Also, the darker the chocolate is, the worse the effects are on the pets.

The microchipping is a good idea. There were bunches of stories about rescued dogs and cats from New Orleans finding their way to their proper people because of the microchip implants (at least where the records weren't flooded).

I almost forgot that our dogs have the microchip, and the registry is national, so it's pretty cool. It's been so long, I can't remember the cost, but I think it was around $50. Both of them came from the local animal shelter, and it's mandatory to get your pet spayed/neutered and microchipped before you can bring them home. We got Maggie 1996, so they've been doing it here in So. Cal. at least 11 years, and I believe all local vets have scanners. Our dogs hardly reacted to it being inserted (it's done in the loose skin behind their head -- like where a mother dog would pick up her puppies). Howard's a big baby, and even he had no real reaction to it, so I assume it didn't hurt.

It's a good thing your dog didn't eat much chocolate, mrd, because our neighbor's labrador ate enough to warrant getting his stomach pumped. A labrador I had in the 80's snatched a rump roast I had out on a cutting board preparing to slice for sandwiches. I had to tackle him to keep him from wolfing down the whole thing...I'm not sure why, I wasn't about to eat it after he had had his paws and slobber all over it. From my experience, most labradors have eating disorders, and will eat everything and anything they can get their paws on.

11stephanie, I love the photo.
    Last edited by roseskid; 01-10-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2201109;
    Myrosiedog - I know they microchip pets here in my town and in the Columbia area also, so there should be someone up your way that will do it. We're behind the times in some things, but we're not quite that bad.
    I know that we're not behind in everything, but we have so many problems with our internet and phone service and despite living in the "city", we only have 2 options for internet and one is dial up. So it irritates me that some things are behind and then hearing that "they've heard of the microchipping" but don't do it, also makes me wonder. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE living here despite some of the technical slowness. As I am technology impaired, it usually doesn't bother me much.

But Columbia is WAY more progressive than anywhere else in the state I am coming to find out. Charleston too. I really think Greer/Greenville being "in the hills" doesn't get the advancements the rest of the state does.

If they tattooed the dog while under, that would be one thing. But I just have seen a really awful job of it done on a dogs belly and seeing that all the time would just make me feel awful for some reason if it was on my dogs.

They have identification on their collars and they are only out when we are out, so I feel reasonably safe with what we have.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I had both Newfs microchipped. My EX-vet wouldn't do it, and wouldn't refer to another vet who did. Three phone calls later, I had three vets who said they routinely chip dogs, and I also had some serious reservations about the vet I had been seeing. The final straw was when I needed preliminary OFA x-rays on Bjorn's hips (no apparent problem, but it was a part of the purchase contract with the breeder.) The vet wouldn't let me in the room, wanted to heavily sedate the boy, and said something about needing a block and tackle to get the legs and hips in the right position for the x-ray. SCREW THAT! The breeder has had sucessful OFAs done with no sedation, which I told the vet, who told me that they must not have been very good x-rays. OFA is VERY picky about the quality of x-rays that they evaluate, so I basically told him that the breeder knew a hell of a lot more about it than he did, and I'd follow her advice. End of vet.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    When I got my cat from the SPCA microchipping was part of the cost as well as a first vet visit and the spaying/neutering - that was back in 1995. When I took her to get fixed I also got the ear tattoo done just in case she ever did get away and they didn't check for a microchip. The tattoo has faded as she got older but it's still recognizable.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

+ Reply to Thread