+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2200877;
    Now wondering how much dog slobber I've eaten coming back in the room after she's helped herself to a treat that was left on the side table.
    I hope they haven't been dining at that "kitty poop buffet" you keep talking about.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef;2200008;
    I went to the pet store and bought a cat harness, but even the largest one is to small for her. I live in an apartment building and am afraid of her falling off the balcony.
    I didn't know they came in different sizes? The one I have is adjustable so you can make it bigger or smaller. My one boy loves his harness and leash and going for walks (he doesn't go very far but he likes to get out and about). He's been known to hit his leash and meow to be taken out. I think he thinks he's a dog. The other cat refuses to go on a leash.

Quote Originally Posted by UnkleScott
    I'm at my 2 boys right now. I found this web site with cat sounds. It freaks Hardy out. He ran and hid but finally wandered back in the room. Laurel gets kind of bug eyed but I think they are both getting used to it. Loud or strange sounds of any kind freak Hardy out. He's a wuss.
    My friend had a recording of cats meowing (screeching, more like) on his cell phone (why, I don't know). He played it at my house and my cats freaked out and then attacked eachother. That was the one and only time he got to play it!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef;2200612;
    You can have their names and your phone number etched on metal I.D plates.
    I know, I've seen those. They already have their license and rabies tags, so adding a third tag doesn't appeal to me as much as just writing it on the back of the license. Especially since it doesn't cost anything - those ID tags aren't free. Cheap maybe, but you still have to pay for them.

In the county I live in you get the rabies vaccination form from the vet but not the tags. You have to mail the form in with a fee (cost depends on if your pet is spayed/neutered) and then the county sends you back the tags. This way if your pet is picked up by Animal Control they have you on file and also the county gets funding. Many people never send in for their tags but I do. I also have an ID tag I got from one of those machines but my dog only wears his collar when I take him to the vet or to get groomed. He's not in a situation where he really needs to wear it but when he did wear it I took it off at night or else there would be jingling from all the tags.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2200877;
    Rosie was a BAD girl last night. I caught her feeding off the snacks on the table between the couch and chair. I've been blaming my daughter for taking food off my plate for a couple days now. Come to find out, its Rosie. Caught red handed. or red pawed. And NO remorse. She acted like it was her right to be able to eat off that table. Bogie on the other hand gets guilty acting when Rosie gets in trouble, so he feels remorse and he didn't do anything. She is getting a little bit too big for her small doggie britches.
    I hope she didn't snatch anything bad for her. Honestly, as a fellow dog owner, I'm surprised there was any food left on the plate when you came back into the room. My dog probably would have knocked the plate to the floor to be able to lick any crumbs she'd missed off of it.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I'm lucky. I can leave my plate and neither the cat nor the dog messes with it. Not that I know of. And I don't want to know.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2200940;
    I know, I've seen those. They already have their license and rabies tags, so adding a third tag doesn't appeal to me as much as just writing it on the back of the license. Especially since it doesn't cost anything - those ID tags aren't free. Cheap maybe, but you still have to pay for them.
    Our license and Rabies tags are all in one and I get the ID etched ones at either Walmart or the Pet store. Its a vending machine that does it while you wait. 3 bucks a tag. Not bad, and it has the dog name, address and phone number. I figure 3 bucks is not a lot for my piece of mind if they were to get lost. So they only have 2 tags to wear. Maybe I should untape them, so I know is someone is eating where she should not be.

Lildago, thanks for that reminder. UGH, going to go gargle with bleach now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;2201016;
    I hope she didn't snatch anything bad for her. Honestly, as a fellow dog owner, I'm surprised there was any food left on the plate when you came back into the room. My dog probably would have knocked the plate to the floor to be able to lick any crumbs she'd missed off of it.
    Actually she got into a bowl of chocolate covered peanuts which I know chocolate is bad. But I wasn't out of the room long and she's a "dainty" eater, so at most she got one or two. Her lips were still smacking when I came in, but she was on the floor looking innocent. But the bowl was tipped over on the chair, so I know she had been up there in it. Bogie was on the couch looking guilty, but she was still chewing and their were nuts left, so I know it was her. Now if it had been him, the entire bowl would have been gone as he manages to scarf down food like someone's going to take it away. Newf says one of his dogs eats so fast he hasn't tasted his food in years. Bogies the same way. I've also caught Rosie drinking water out of my husband's glass. She is a Diva for sure and thinks she's allowed to do what she wants. This has just started lately and will soon stop. She is NOT queen of the house as she thinks.

What's really funny is I put the bowl on the kitchen counter. Why I didn't throw the remaining nuts away, I don't know. Daughter somes in, grabs a handfull and is just about to put them in her mouth, when I say: The dog's had her snout in that bowl.
    She dropped like they were bombs!

ETA: I'd love to do the microchip thing, but I doubt they have it here, they don't have decent internet here, so I know microchip technology hasn't made it.
    I've also heard of the tattooing, but I would NEVER do that to my dogs.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-10-2007 at 12:59 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Do you guys microchip your pets?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Premium Member
    Yes. I'm also going to have the cat chipped next time I take him to the vet. The technology should be nationwide, myrosiedog, and shouldn't have anything to do with the internet, if your pet is lost most vets and shelters have the scanner and they always scan the animal first to check for a chip. It only costs about $25 and is well worth it. We were dog-sitting once and the darned dog (Golden Retreiver) managed to work the back door open and escape. We didn't notice it right away because we knew all the dogs were in the house, and I never imagined that a dog could get the door open. We figured the latch must have not quite caught the last time someone went out, it was the only thing that made sense. When we discovered her missing it took about an hour to find her, luckily she had followed a little boy home and his mom called the police so when we called them they already knew where she was. It was the most nerve-wracking hour of my life. I'm convinced that even the most conscientious owners can still have a pet get lost, so microchipping is definitely worth it.

Yes, the tinkle of multiple tags on the dog is a good thing sometimes. It lets you know what kind of trouble they're getting into.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2201072;
    Yes. I'm also going to have the cat chipped next time I take him to the vet. The technology should be nationwide, myrosiedog, and shouldn't have anything to do with the internet, if your pet is lost most vets and shelters have the scanner and they always scan the animal first to check for a chip. It only costs about $25 and is well worth it. We were dog-sitting once and the darned dog (Golden Retreiver) managed to work the back door open and escape. We didn't notice it right away because we knew all the dogs were in the house, and I never imagined that a dog could get the door open. We figured the latch must have not quite caught the last time someone went out, it was the only thing that made sense. When we discovered her missing it took about an hour to find her, luckily she had followed a little boy home and his mom called the police so when we called them they already knew where she was. It was the most nerve-wracking hour of my life. I'm convinced that even the most conscientious owners can still have a pet get lost, so microchipping is definitely worth it.

Yes, the tinkle of multiple tags on the dog is a good thing sometimes. It lets you know what kind of trouble they're getting into.

It doesn't have anything to do with the internet. I was using that as a analogy that we don't have a lot of technology here and I just called a friend that is a part time vet tech and no, they don't microchip here. She says "they've heard of it". So its not so nationwide.
    I'd do it if I thought it would help. But the friend said that the local animal shelter doesn't do it either, they don't have a reader for it, so it would not help me to get my pets chipped. Once technology catches up to SC like the rest of the world, then I'll do it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread