+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

I must be soooo comfy, because joey does that too, so does my Mom & Dads cat & Bassett Hound
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Super Photos Marleybone! How sweet to catch Katie and Pumpkin together like that! I love pumpkins' furry paws hanging over the printer too. Two awwww-some pics
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

It's too bad one of these unique and majestic animals had to be killed to realize it even existed. I'd rather he was shot with a camera and lived a long, healthy and happy life. I hate big game hunters
    ---------------------------

Attachment 18783

The first known polar bear-grizzly cross...please don't call it a pizzly.

'Polargrizz' goes to Idaho
    Trophy hunter takes home first known grizzly-polar bear cross

EDMONTON - The stuffed carcass of the world's first known cross between a polar bear and a grizzly is on its way to the Idaho home of a wealthy American hunter who killed the animal this spring.

Jim Martell shot the bear in April on a remote Arctic island. The trophy is now en route to Martell's home to join the five bighorn sheep, two brown bears and a black bear he already has.

The bear left Yellowknife this week, after a taxidermist spent the last seven months stuffing and mounting it in preparation for its journey to a tiny Idaho town of 1,400 people.

I wanted it (mounted) like I saw him (when it was shot)," Martell said Thursday from his office in Glenns Ferry, a town about 100 kilometres east of Boise. "He was walking up a knoll on some rocks, and that's the way they put him."

Forget the talk of calling it a "pizzly" or a "grolar bear," Martell said. The stuffed bear comes with a plaque declaring it the world's first "polargrizz."

"As far as I'm concerned, that's what it is," he said. "I don't know what 'pizzly' means."

Martell didn't realize the bear's significance when he shot it during a hunt on the southern tip of Banks Island in the Northwest Territories, about 2,000 kilometres north of Edmonton. He thought he had killed a polar bear, which he had a licence for.

But he and his Inuit guides noticed something peculiar when they approached the white bear.

The thick fur seemed like that of a polar bear, but the long claws, humped back and dished face did not.

Its eyes were surrounded with rings of black and its hide was marked with small patches of brown on its nose, back and one foot.

DNA tests confirmed the six-year-old male had a polar bear mother and a grizzly bear father.

The findings created a sensation in Inuit communities and among biologists.

After two weeks of tests, the territorial government released the bear to Martell, which it was legally required to do because he had a polar bear licence and the bear was half polar.

"It's actually kind of an honour that he chose us to mount this bear for him," said Greg Robertson of Robertson's Taxidermy Ltd. in Yellowknife.

The bear smelled like a grizzly, not the oily smell given off by polar bears because of their diet of seals, Robertson said.

The mounting cost around $10,000, and that's on top of the approximately $50,000 Martell paid for the hunt.

The bear, relatively young considering the typical 20-year lifespan of both species, is Martell's most prized trophy.

He has hunted bears in Russia, a ram and an ibex in Kyrgyzstan, a mountain goat in New Zealand, and bighorn sheep in Alberta and Alaska.

Martell, 66, owns three rural telephone companies and runs a ranch where he raises elk and grows alfalfa.

He's planning another trip to Canada in May to hunt grizzlies.

He plans to take the polargrizz to a Nevada hunting expo in January.

Is Martell's animal the only one of its kind?

Ian Stirling, Canada's leading expert on the species, said polar bear cubs typically come in pairs, although whether there is a sibling still running free is unknown.

Martell thinks there are others.

"As long as there will be hunting (up north), I would bet you one will be found," he said.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...2-4a4b6b36cd98
    Last edited by misskitty; 01-08-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Wow Miss Kitty - thanks for sharing that amazing yet sad story.

Okay all you kitty lovers. As many of you know, I am a fairly new cat owner. Our furbaby - Elliott is exclusively an indoor cat. And now, he has discovered that there are birds on the bird feeder directly outside the window. Today a squirrel has been sitting on the feeder for most of the morning. Elliott and said squirell have been having a bit of a stare down for the better part of an hour. This is just cracking me up.

Ana Bannana:My two are strictly indoors also and there is a tree outside my living room window and another outside my bedroom window. Hours of entertainment.
    That is a great picture of Elliot.

misskitty:I never understood hunting for other than a survival thing anyway.
    Last edited by just1paul; 12-10-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Ana Bannana that picture of Elliott and the stare down has me giggling ....Thanks for sharing that...

I'm with you misskitty...I do not like big game hunters! That's a big for me!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Thanks guys - they're still at it. The squirrell jumped off the feeder, and Elliott leaped to the right, into a huge plant. I suppse he must of have thought that squirrel jumped into the house. Anyway, the squireel is back and Elliott is again at the window standing watch.

Funny picture, Ana. Is Elliott twitching his tail, too? Our cat has frequent squirrel stare-downs, and her tail shakes like a rattlesnake, along with the flattened ears.

Ana Banana: What a super photo!! I have the exact same birdfeeder! But it hangs from the tree so my squirrel can't stand on it. He has managed to shake it viciously so all the sunflower seeds fall to the ground. Then he enjoys his meal.

Mr. Tootles has a lovely relationship with squirrel. They watch each other and chatter back and forth for ages. Not so much now that it's winter, of course. Gracie-kins, on the other hand, wants him for a snack!

Ana, that's a fabulous photo -- you say they did this for more than an hour? Wow. Squirrels drive our dogs c-razy, and they can hear one scampering around from 20 yards away. It's amazing. Our big lug of a dog, Howard, sits at the back door in hopes of catching one who has dared to trespass into our yard. I love your cat's name, and his markings are beautiful.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread