+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2147022;
    Bogie may be gay! (not that there's anything wrong with that!) He's pretty dapper!
    Bogie has more of an Oedipus Complex than a gay one! LOL!

Besides if you were to watch him for any length of time, y ou'd think he was just a big goofy kid. He's one of those guys that don't ever grow up and let mom take care of them. He doesn't have a job either. Freeloader!

We haven't seen the cat in a couple days, but it has not stopped him from going to EVERY spot in our yard, every bush, etc. that the cat has been seen and sniff and sniff. He has hunted for that cat with a singleminded purprose. I think the neighbors have been keeping him inside as its been really chillly out lately or they're tired of Bogie barking at the cat.

His new thing now is that if I sit in a certain chair in the family room, he MUST sit in my lap. EVERY time. If I sit on the sofa, its no problem, but if I'm in this chair, then he has to be stretched out over my legs. He has never been a "lap" dog, but this has been going on about a month now. He can be in the other room and somehow hear me sit in that chair and here he comes.
    I usually don't mind, but am starting to feel like a dog bed.

Rosie only sits with you when she demands to be petted and she gets her head or snout under your hand and throws her head back, its pretty obvious what she wants. She is such a Diva and such a feline like dog.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rosie only sits with you when she demands to be petted and she gets her head or snout under your hand and throws her head back, its pretty obvious what she wants.
    Gustav does the elbow-nudge, too. He's sent more than one can of pop flying across the room when he's caught me unaware. It's a little-known (because I just made it up ) historical fact that the catapult was inspired by a big dog elbow-nudging Archimedes. In fact, the very first catapults were dog-powered, and the dogs would sneak feline and fowl ammo into the launcher. Originally, the weapon was called cats-and-poultry, from which we derive the term catapult.

Now you know.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Unk: Mr. Tootles would like an order of sausage, bacon and a burger please!

myrosiedog: What's wrong with being a dog bed? Maybe he's just discovering his "inner cat"?

Newfherder: "catapult"

---------------------------------------

Has anyone heard the story about Mimi the Cat from Brazil? She apparently had a one-night stand with the dog next door, named Dog, and became pregnant. She delivered 6 offspring: 3 were cat-like and 3 were dog-like. I'm not kidding! The 3 kittens died soon after birth but the 3 pups are doing well. Scientists have taken DNA samples to prove this claim. Here are some photos!

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/phot...sp=-1&lsp=6000
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I saw that misskitty. Scientists are saying it's highly unlikely that she gave birth to those pups...that she had given birth in a field and most likely "inherited" the litter from a female dog who had also given birth. My guess is the that couple that own the cute kitty aren't that scientifically inclined and just assumed that since the kittens/puppies were all with the mommy cat, that she must've given birth to them all...I think the mommy cat is being very sweet to the pups though!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061119/...l_dogcats_dc_1

PASSO FUNDO, Brazil (Reuters) - Geneticist Adil Pacheco took blood samples on Friday from three puppies in a poor neighborhood in Passo Fundo in southern Brazil to settle a dispute over a claim they were born from a cat.
    ADVERTISEMENT

"It's rather simple really. If the puppies prove to have 78 chromosomes, they are dogs. If they have 38, they are cats,"
    said Pacheco, director of the Institute of Biological Sciences of the University of Passo Fundo.

"But I seriously doubt they are feline. Every characteristic about them is canine."

Cassia Aparecida de Souza, 18, said her cat Mimi had given birth to the three puppies as well as three kittens, which did not survive. And she, her husband Rogerio Jorge da Silva, 26, and several others in the town believe a neighborhood mut named Dog is the father of Mimi's pups.

When news of the spectacular claim spread in the Brazilian media, some local newspapers accused the poor couple, who are expecting their first child in a few months, of fraud and said they were simply trying to make money off a hoax.

"I feel indignant at such accusations," da Silva said.

Pacheco said he was asked by a local newspaper to conduct the chromosome test, which should yield results on Tuesday.

"It's not uncommon for mammals to nurse young from another species. The cat gave birth in a field and she likely inherited the puppies from a nearby female dog who had recently given birth," he said.

an empty nest, and not liking it one dang bit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2136355;
    If they haven't been neutered, do it. It can make a world of difference in behavior. And although you didn't ask, those weights on the Dobie and Lab seem pretty high . . .
    They are all fixed, we have found that it seems to get worse when people with dogs come over. I'm going to go back to crating them during the day. Our girl the lab is on a diet and we are watching her pretty close and the Doberman is considered only slightly over weight according to our vet. He is just a big boy - incredibly tall for a doberman. They gain a few pounds every winter and when spring rolls around they lose a few.

Thanks LoisLane! I caught that same update today.

I imagine that would be the case, that the cat would be nursing some abandoned pups. But then wouldn't someone in that village realize that their dog had puppies that are missing? I really hate to think that these people are truly trying to scam anyone. They don't seem the type to manipulate the media, (unlike another Tom-cat *cough, cough*).

I do love that Mimi had adopted the triplets. How cute are they together! I hope the real mom of the pups is found. She might have been very young to have rejected them or even died

Can you imagine the stir in the scientific community if indeed something like this was true! Yikes!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Someone told me that it's impossible for cats and dogs to mate and create offspring. Anyone? (I tend to think this is true.)

The kittycat looks like an awesome mom and will teach her "kittens" to be fierce. I think the cutest thing will be if she got to keep all the pups and watch how they interact with her as they grow up.

My sweetie believes the same thing. According to his university medical classes, it's incredibly rare if not impossible for one animal to give birth to another animal. The gene counting will definitely prove what is true.

He thought that if there was a case, the animal born would be a mesh of the two; more of an disfigured bunch of cells. Not perfectly distinguishable kittens/and or puppies. You would be mixing species, not breeds within a species which is a totally different situation.

Mimi is already a great mom to the puppies so I hope they let her keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2148595;
    Someone told me that it's impossible for cats and dogs to mate and create offspring. Anyone? (I tend to think this is true.)

This is correct, Lois Lane. Animal that can hybridize must come from the same family of animals, i.e. horses, zebras, and donkeys are all in the equine family and so they can interbreed. Same with tigers and lions, dingoes and wolves, cattle and bison, and so forth.
    Animals from different families are too genetically different to interbreed, enen if they look sort of the same, for instance a sheep and a deer, elephant and rhinoceros, etc. could never produce offspring.
    Last edited by queenb; 11-20-2006 at 06:16 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2147692;
    Gustav does the elbow-nudge, too. He's sent more than one can of pop flying across the room when he's caught me unaware. It's a little-known (because I just made it up ) historical fact that the catapult was inspired by a big dog elbow-nudging Archimedes. In fact, the very first catapults were dog-powered, and the dogs would sneak feline and fowl ammo into the launcher. Originally, the weapon was called cats-and-poultry, from which we derive the term catapult.

Now you know.

OK, your posts must now come with a warning:

Reading Newfs post while drinking liquid will cause the reader to spew it all ove the computer!

This one had me and spitting coffee
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread