+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1420Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2122937;
    Pomeraniac: I saw some Poms dressed up for halloween....do you know any of them?
    Thanks for thinking of me, misskitty, and thanks for posting those pictures!!! I don't know them personally, but I'm sure I've seen 'em around!

Here's a new one of my back-seat driver:

Tonight my bunny got the mother of all rabbit hutches, but she's either not interested in going upstairs, or she just can't figure it out.

She's going to do it while you're sleeping.... BWAHAHAHAHA nice hutch

Wow, nice bunny condo. Do you keep her caged all the time, or does she get to roam about? Hey, is that a bunk-bed upstairs for a sleepover?

Oooh, bunny. I love bunnies. I had the distinct pleasure of seeing a bunny show last weekend and getting to snuggle with an adorable little brown lop. I do have a question, Amanda, as well as the fervent bunny adoration. If I remember correctly, you have at least one cat. How do cat and bunny get along? We had a rabbit when I was a teenager, along with two cats, and there didn't seem to be a problem, but honestly, Oscar (the rabbit) was very large, quite aggressive and an alcoholic (like a bad stepfather) and so there was no trouble to be had with the boys. I would really like to get a rabbit, but I'm a little concerned about my Harv, who will kill and eat anything that crosses his path.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Well, my situation is a little bit unusual. My bunny was never meant to be a pet. I stole her from a lab I was working in; she was a former research subject of mine. I was supposed to put her down when our research was done, but I just couldn't do it, so I sneaked her out one evening. It was all very cloak and dagger. But because of that, she was already...some age (I have NO idea at all, just that she was mature when she came to our lab) when I got her home, and she's not particularly well-socialized. It would probably be different if I'd brought her home as a baby.

When I first got her - before I learned just how extensive their need to chew is - I let her roam freely all the time, and she mostly ignored my cats. My boy cat kept a healthy distance, my girl cat (who is much braver) would slap her around a little. The bunny probably has ten pounds on her (that picture might not show it, but she's the biggest bunny in history. Part of the research dealt with studying the effects of a type of growth factor - I don't know if that actually made her huge, but it's sort of funny ), but she let the cat smack her. But, after she destroyed about forty million dollars worth of electronics by eating through the cords (and freaking me out about the idea of her electrocuting herself), I stopped letting her just hang out in the house. Now when she's out, she's in an enclosed room with no cats.

So, that was an incredibly long-winded way of saying "Huh. I'm just not sure."

Oh, one other thing, though: They WILL defend themselves if they feel threatened, and they can do some damage. She's drawn blood on me a couple of times, and all I was doing was trying to clean the cage or give her food. But again, I bet if she'd been brought up in a less traumatic way, it'd be a very different story.

Thanks for reminding me about their fondness for chewing. I'll have to do some planning and building before I head down to the Humane Society.

As I mentioned, Oscar the alcoholic rabbit was quite aggressive and very capable of looking after himself. He also looked very much like your bunny and was quite large also, so perhaps there's an aggressive gene in that particular breed of rabbit (assuming that they're the same breed).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2134387;
    Thanks for reminding me about their fondness for chewing. I'll have to do some planning and building before I head down to the Humane Society.

As I mentioned, Oscar the alcoholic rabbit was quite aggressive and very capable of looking after himself. He also looked very much like your bunny and was quite large also, so perhaps there's an aggressive gene in that particular breed of rabbit (assuming that they're the same breed).
    A few questions:

Did Oscar sneek off to the bars? Did you give him keys to the liquor cabinet? Was there a bunny AA in your area?

So anyways, if you get a new rabbit keep him off the sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2134710;
    A few questions:

Did Oscar sneek off to the bars? Did you give him keys to the liquor cabinet? Was there a bunny AA in your area?

So anyways, if you get a new rabbit keep him off the sauce.
    My mom, unfortunately, always had a drink on the go and she would place it on the floor beside her chair rather than on the coffee (or rather, whisky) table. Every time I would come in the room, Oscar was crouched beside the chair lapping away at a glass of rye and coke like there was no tomorrow. It did result in some really spectacular and entertaining dashes, leaps and spins, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't good for him - neither the rye nor the coke. Fortunately, Mr. Rattus and I aren't big drinkers, so any lucky bunny we adopt will filled with timothy grass, alfalfa, pellets and spring water.

That's hilarious. If you do get a bunny, try giving it Craisins sometime. Mine loves those more than just about anything on the planet. They're like bunny crack.

She still hasn't found her way upstairs yet. I feel bad; she's sleeping on a plain wooden floor, when upstairs she has a nesting box with a towel in it that would be much more comfortable.

+ Reply to Thread