+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1139Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

I would pay good money to see that little alligator dog walk across the floor in that outfit. My grandkid would never give him back if he got his hands on him.

This is my cousin's puppy Kenya. He is really sad that Halloween is over. Luckily, they don't dress him up.

Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thought I'd share this "animal" story. Unfortunately, it's an accurate and true account.

We just got back (last week) from a trip to Maryland to see Mike's mom and sister. His dad recently passed away and this was the first chance we had to get up there. Now to the Ordeal - Buddy and D. Bo - The think they are bi-peds and do not like to be treated as mere animals. At least Buddy is like this. D.Bo could take it or leave it since he is ONLY 7 months old. Not much time to gain "worldly" wisdom like Buddy who is at least 5 years old - maybe older. Anyway, he was like, you want me to stay outside?!? Are you kidding me?! It's 20 degrees colder here you than in sunny Texas. WTH?! So Mike decided to "tie" the dogs up to a huge and sturdy tree while we had lunch with his mom. He used some strong military type rope and tied the leashes to this and they had plenty of run around room. Soon, we hear a "knock" really more like a "bump" at the front door (they were in the back yard with no fence). Mike thought it might be his sister but it was early, she was at work, and she would have just walked right on in. I opened the door and there sat Buddy, with leash dragging behind him. He had undid the knot from the rope to his leash. We were dumbfounded. His mom lives on a really busy road and it was a miracle that he merely walked around the house to the front door. Seriously.

Next, we decided the basement was the way to go. We took all the bedding and extra stuff that we had for the dogs in the truck and D. Bo's crate and made a nice little area for them down there. I've never had a basement growing up and it's not really like the Kansas tornado shelter with the doors that angle out of the ground, this has steps down to a real door and everything you can imagine down there. Like a really big garage, I guess. Mike's dad was a "tinkerer" and spent many hours down in this basement with tools, appliances, broken items, toys, car stuff, the washer/dryer, air compressor, stationary bike, old clothes, plants to be kept alive with fluorescent lights, boxes, extra canned goods/pantry items, etc, etc. Lots of items for inquisitive boxers to get into to. And they did. There are also steps leading up the kitchen and mom usually left the door open for Mike's dog that he had growing up to come and go but he never left the kitchen area. This wouldn't work for Buddy. He wanted to be up with us, on the sofa or the bed like at home. Again, WTH?!? Banishing me to the basement ?!? What are you guys smoking?!?!

Next up for the same night (Sat) we put up a baby gate over the entry to the stairs from the basement (kind of a criss cross wooden thingy). He got through that eventually and it was a pain for us to get up and over it on the stairs. Next day, Sunday, Mike put a C-clamp on both sides of a metal headboard (twin size) across the bottom of the stair entryway. We saw him go over this. He got one front leg over and up, then the other front leg, holding on using his armpits over the top, and then hoisted himself up and over. Landed hard on the stairs and happily walked up. On Monday, we tried a 5 foot logging chain tied to the work bench and the other end to his harness. Pretty heavy but it was in the front near his chest, not from his neck or anything. He drug that around, knocked over some buckets. Pretty much made a mess. Meanwhile, he has gone on a hunger strike. D. Bo has no problem taking care of Buddy's share of food on the first day but he started to "leave" a bowl for Buddy after that. It was too cute of him but not cool of Buddy to starve himself. On Tuesday morning, we called Mike's brother in law for a crate from their dog that's been gone a few years. I remembered seeing it but had no idea that it was still around. They brought it over and in went Buddy. The bad thing is that he has a drooling problem when he's confined. Even if it's just a door that confines him, it's drool city. Not cool. So all day, he's in this thing. Decides it's time to bark - non-stop. UGH! The next morning - its now Wed and he has barfed in the crate. All over the comforter and blanket, and one of his toys. Smelled horrible! We got it cleaned up, and at that point we decided it was time to go. We tied him up industrial C-clamp to the retractable leash, to the oak tree in the middle of the yard, while we packed. He barked until we left.

The funny part is that we thought D.Bo (the puppy) would be the trouble one. He did leave messes for us to clean up in the mornings as he isn't potty trained and we didn't have him in his crate the first couple of nights, but he didn't try every possible way to get to us. But I guess he's used to being confined. He just happily lapped up the attention Grandma gave him. She clearly chose him as the favorite since Buddy is Mike's favorite and was obviously being a pain in the you know what. It was one of those situations where, sometimes a child is better than a dog. A child could have been reasoned with (at least an older child), and a child would have been allowed on the furniture and our bed. Yeah, I know, the pros don't outweigh the cons. LOL

Boy, PGM35. Sounds like Buddy has separation anxiety. He sure is smart though. Nice that D.Bo was a little more relaxed about the trip. Hopefully he didn't pick up any bad habits from Buddy. I'm sure you're all glad to be back home.

Unk: It's always sweet to see the boys cuddling!
    ---------------------

I just had to laugh out loud. I made a cup of coffee and a piece of toast. Since I was in the kitchen, Gracie and Tootles came in expecting a snack too so I put some low-fat treats in their dishes. The toast popped, and they were concentrating so hard on their feast, they jumped and sent both dishes and lots of little food nibbles all over the kitchen floor. I found Tootles in the hall and Gracie in the l.r. both afraid of the Toaster Monster.

I guess I should make toast more often.

Cute pictures! Our JRT, Simon, celebrated his 13th birthday a few days ago. Here are a few pictures of Simon and Henry, our little party animals.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Now that the weather has grown colder, my kitties have become snuggle bunnies. We have a lap blanket that was my husbands when he was a boy, it has Yogi Bear on it. Anyway, it's very warm and in the winter we keep it on the couch to snuggle up with. Well, Chloe is obsessed with this blanket. If she comes in the living room and sees it out she has to lay on it, no matter what! I came home last night to find my husband trapped on the couch with both kitties on his chest, sound asleep and dreaming...his foot had fallen asleep! We call it the purr blanket.

Harmoj: Luv your av. I love it when my kitties become snuggle-bunnies too . And mine have taken over my down-filled duvet! And every blanket in the house; there are many.

I got home from groceries and shovelled the deck and walks from the snow. Gracie took one sniff and she hightailed it back into the house. Mr. Tootles ran out gleefully making putty prints wherever he went. He's sooo incredibly silly. He runs with his back end sideways and his back feet farther apart than his front paws. He's hilarious And in the snow, he's even more so. I had to catch him before his pinky toes got too cold. Silly boy

I love to watch animals play in snow. It's so funny isn't it.

I hurt my back on Saturday, so Sunday I was confined to bed because I couldn't sit...it hurt too much.

Of course, anytime I'm in bed, the girls have to join in. My husband came up to check on me and had to laugh. The covers were really bumpy from the two very warm kitties under the covers. It got so bad, at one point I didn't have anywhere to put my feet because they were stretched out as far as they could go...taking up the whole bed.

Silly kitties.

ETA: I love my av too. Chloe can be so regal sometimes.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    misskitty, Kenya is simply gorgeous. Is he a husky or a malamute? Am I anywhere even close on the breed? How old is he?
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 11-07-2006 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Got Kenya's gender wrong! Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2132176;
    misskitty, Kenya is simply gorgeous. Is he a husky or a malamute? Am I anywhere even close on the breed? How old is he?
    LoiseLane: Kenya is a purebred Samoyed. He's maybe 8 months old. His Dad is Kona who is almost 8 years (i think) and he has a sister Truffles (6 yrs). They are gorgeous. My cousin also has two black cats, Mocha and Java, who aren't as impressed with all the dogs. Go figure.

+ Reply to Thread