+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

From http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/aspca.org
    Let's watch out for the fuzzies-- don't share your sugar free cookies, etc.!(Urbana, IL) August 21, 2006 -
    The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center cautions animal owners that xylitol, a sweetener found in certain sugar-free chewing gums, candies, baked goods and other products can potentially cause serious and even life-threatening problems for pets.

“Last year, we managed more than 170 cases involving xylitol-containing products,” says Dana Farbman, CVT and spokesperson for the Center. “This is a significant increase from 2004, when we managed about 70.” Barely halfway into 2006, the Center has already managed about 114 cases. Why the increase? “It’s difficult to say,” Farbman states. “Xylitol products are relatively new to the United States marketplace, so one possibility may be an increase in availability.”

According to Dr. Eric Dunayer, veterinarian and toxicologist for the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, dogs ingesting significant amounts of items sweetened with xylitol could develop a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. “These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product. Therefore, it is crucial that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately.” Dr. Dunayer also stated that there appears to be a strong link between xylitol ingestions and the development of liver failure in dogs.

While it was previously thought that only large concentrations of xylitol could result in problems, this appears to no longer be the case. “We seem to be learning new information with each subsequent case we manage,” says Dr. Dunayer. “Our concern used to be mainly with products that contain xylitol as one of the first ingredients. However, we have begun to see problems developing from ingestions of products with lesser amounts of this sweetener.” He also says that with smaller concentrations of xylitol, the onset of clinical signs could be delayed as much as 12 hours after ingestion. “Therefore, it is important to keep in mind that even if your pet does not develop signs right away, it does not mean that problems won’t develop later on.”

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center strongly urges pet owners to be especially diligent in keeping candy, gum or other foods containing xylitol out of the reach of pets. As with any potentially toxic substance, should accidental exposures occur, it is important to contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for immediate assistance.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

What pretty cats, hepcat and Marley!

Nutmeg's eye markings are beautiful, hepcat, and the last photo made me smile - I could almost hear her meowing for an "explanation".

Marley, your cat is so pretty too, a lovely coat! Sort of a pale orange which seems a bit unusual. Also reminds me of my mom's cat, who regularly nibbles at the indoor flowers and plants (cat doesn't go outdoors, but loves plants/flowers). Mom only gets flowers that are safe. She has a black shorthair w/green eyes and a small white patch.

Sadly, for Chloe, I had already used all the hot water!

Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

MissThing: Does your cat like water?

This is a phase she goes through. Every few months, after I get out of the shower, she'll hop right in afterwards and check it all out. Once it's dry she loves to sit in there, and carry on a conversation while I'm taking care of other things .

In general, she doesn't like water too much, but if I go out to the deck to smoke and it's raining, she'll often follow me out. If it's raining too hard, she won't go, though. AND, in the winter, when it's snowing, she wants me to go out, so she can sit in the warm comfort of the living room, and watch me suffer.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by doxie View Post
    Rosie Loved the Mexican Standoff story! At least Cat didn't chase Bogie up a tree! I'm glad your JRTs are enjoying the wildlife. Imagine what they will do if it snows there!!! Our JRT will be 13 next week. When he was about 3, this THING (as I like to call it) got into my bathroom and I could hear it scurrying around. Simon heard it as well and charged into the bathroom ahead of me. The THING turned out to be a flying squirrel and it was perched on the curtain rod..... Simon was barking and I was screaming. I threw a hairbrush at it and knocked the curtain rod, curtain and squirrel down. The squirrel ended up in the bathtub (which has got to be Simon's least favorite place) and Simon literally LAUNCHED himself over the edge of the tub, grabbed the squirrel, shook it wildly and then dropped it at my feet. He was one proud little doggie. I was proud of him - lol - and very glad that the THING was dead and I could sleep with no worries.

I must add that I have nothing against squirrels or other critters unless they manage to get into the house. At that point, I figure it is open season.

The new pictures are just adorable. I always look at this thread first so that I can see everyones' sweet pets.

Rosie has seen snow and was NOT amused by it. She is too dainty and diva like to have to be forced to potty in snow. Last night, i put the heating pad on low in her dog bed as she got a bath after rolling in something dead and nasty. Not a diva like behavior, however she does so enjoy the "eww" de perfume of dead stuff. But she was cold after her bath and shivering. You should have seen her rolling around in that bed on that heating pad trying to get every bit of her body in the "warm zone". I don't know what she will do this winter. SHe has several sweaters which she loves to wear, but Bogie can't stand for her to have them on and he actually tugs on them until they come off of her. Bogie LOVES beach sand, so I don't know how he will do with snow. He likes you to kick up sand on the beach so he can jump and bite at it. Silly dog.

Oh, I can just imagine the squirrel thing. I would have been screaming too.

Bogie has discovered the squirrels here, but they are much faster than he is.

LOVE all the kitty pictures. The kitty and the flowers were too funny. Looks like your cat is saying: why thank you for putting out these lovely h'or derves for me to sample.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

D. Bo has been unexpectedly calm today. Maybe all the activity has been getting to him too. He is angelicly sleeping next to me as I type. He doesn't like the clicking of the keys as he is looking at me every few minutes as if to say, "Do you mind? Trying to sleep here!".

Here are pics of him and Buddy running around like fools!

They are cute, pgm35. I love Boxers, though.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Rosie has seen snow and was NOT amused by it. She is too dainty and diva like to have to be forced to potty in snow. Last night, i put the heating pad on low in her dog bed as she got a bath after rolling in something dead and nasty. Not a diva like behavior, however she does so enjoy the "eww" de perfume of dead stuff. But she was cold after her bath and shivering. You should have seen her rolling around in that bed on that heating pad trying to get every bit of her body in the "warm zone". I don't know what she will do this winter. SHe has several sweaters which she loves to wear, but Bogie can't stand for her to have them on and he actually tugs on them until they come off of her.
    rosie, a few years ago, we were concerned about our JRT keeping warm at night during the winter. I did a little searching and found a solution. I discussed it with our vet, who said he used one, too, and thought it was a good idea.

It's called a SnuggleSafe. You can heat it in the microwave and slip it under your pet's bed, like a heating pad. The Snuggle stays warm, and it keeps the bed warm all night. We didn't buy ours at Amazon. We bought it at our local pet store, but here's the link and photo we found while searching online today.

We love hearing about your JRTs' adventures in your new home!

http://www.amazon.com/Snuggle-Safe-H.../dp/B00008AJH9
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Do they make those in people bed sizes? I want one.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread