+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 1750 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142821325321032 ... LastLast
Like Tree1265Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    :rolleyes No pet is ugly, they all have their own special beauty...how cruel and plain rude of people to say that about your cat

They are all beautiful!

Hi everyone. I'm posting this from another board I read, because I think it's an incredibly worthy cause, and I'm hoping some of you do as well. This sort of thing sickens and shocks me to my core, and if any of you can find it in your hearts to donate, that would be wonderful. Even if you can't, I think this deserves all the coverage it can get. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by guy from other board
    My girlfriend, who lurks around on this board from time to time, is the director of a no-kill animal shelter in Northern Texas. It has been very successful over the past few years, but lately, dead dogs have been turing up. Every morning.

A little history: she started this shelter, with the help of her mom and some VERY precocious 4th graders, because of a large problem in her area. The police force, tired of using measly ol' paper targets, decided that the local stray dog population would provide better target shooting fare. As such, they proceded to start killing dogs. By the hundreds. When they were done with these poor creatures, which sometimes had multiple bullet wounds, they would toss their carcasses into an old warehouse to rot. When this warehouse was found, nearly 1000 carcasses were discovered, decomposing.

My girlfriend decided that this was unacceptable, and rightly so, so she decided to start this animal shelter. It is a no-kill shelter, which means that once they take a dog in, it either gets adopted or is allowed to live out the remainder of its natural life. None are put to sleep.

The problem is that their shelter has pissed off the city. BIG time. PETA was alerted to what the police department had done, so the shelter has become a permanent fixture to remind them of their embarassment. The city council, the chamber of commerce, and of course the police are all VERY against what the shelter is doing. Not necessarily because they are doing a BAD thing, but because they are doing what the City Council said it couldn't do. And it was started by my girlfriend and 4 ten year old girls. Good ol' Boys in Texas don't like being made to look like fools.

The shelter is completely funded by private donations, grants, and fund raisers. As such, they don't have much extra cash to throw at "novelty" items like a security system. That's where we come in.

Someone has been killing the dogs. LOTS of them. In the shelter, at night. For weeks, dogs have been dying of a mysterious illness, and it wasn't until recently that they have discovered that it hasn't been an illness at all: it has been poison. Some sick **** has been poisoning these dogs. And it gets worse. Yesterday morning, they walked in to find two 8 week old puppies, lying in their beds, with their heads smashed in. One of the puppies, Tango, was my girlfriend's favorite dog.

I am going to install a four camera security system, which will be just enough to cover all of the pens these dogs live in. There are over 250 dogs, so it is a big responsibility taking care of them, and these deaths are serious. I don't have the money to do this system right, and neither does the shelter, so I wish to enlist your help, money, or resources, wherever you can spare them.

I have been making calls all morning, and have gotten 4 high resolution security cameras donated, but we are a few pieces short of the pie. We still need a camera processor, a monitor, and a time-lapse recording system. The total cost of these devices will probably be around 700-800 dollars. I know the exact products we need, and the equivalents, so PM me if you need specific information. Gigi has been kind enough to set up a Pay Pal account at protectpuppies@yahoo.com. Thanks again.
    If any of you have any questions, obviously I'd be the one to PM. Thanks.

Just wanted to show off Blu's "just got back from the groomer and now I'm a bald Lhasa Apso" look
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Aw, how cute! Good pic of Blu, Texi!

Thanks Manny...she hates cameras, just like me! But she's lots cuter

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    She doesn't look like the type that would fake a pregnancy.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Jewls...she's mental.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Oh. Okay.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Just wanted to show off Blu's "just got back from the groomer and now I'm a bald Lhasa Apso" look
    What a cute and funny picture Texi! It looks like a prison pic..no smile, don't want mugshot taken and against the wall!! LOL

Very cute!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    On another note, Penny now absolutely love Xtina's song "Beautiful," whenever it plays she looks in the mirror, something she had stopped doing once the tumors hit her face. She's becoming accustomed to them now and coming out of the closet and into the hallway, proud of herself. She's obviously still content, just annoyed.
    ok, that brought a tear to my eye.

+ Reply to Thread