+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

There's also the "Soft Paws" option to use for cats that might be scratchers. I have a friend that was adamant he was going to declaw his new kittens, but opted not to in the end and now just uses the Soft Paws instead (hot pink ones to boot for his girly girls). They're rubber tips that are put over the claws, sort of similar to an acrylic nail on people, and are replaced every 6-8 weeks or as they fall off. Our vet has them that you can put on yourself, or they will do it for you...plus you can also order online http://www.softpaws.com/ .

Just an update too on my cat....she's SO not tricked into eating the special food that the vet wants her to I've tried disguising it in every way possible, but apparently it doesn't taste good so she's having NOTHING to do with it. I ended up just going up to the pet store and getting some food that's good for urinary tract health and going with that. Atleast she's taking her medicine easily if nothing else.
    Last edited by libra1022; 08-28-2006 at 10:59 PM.

That's a good idea, Libs. I may have to try them in order to save my couch.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I talked my neighbor into getting those instead of de-clawing her kitty and she thanks me all the time for it, they work really good. It usually only takes the cat a short time to get used to them.

M_Shelll:

What really works is being consistent in teaching your kitten what is good and what is BAAAADD kitty BAAAAD kitty, emphasized with a little squirt of water from spritzer. You just need to send the same message over and over. Mr. Tootles loves to tear about the cardboard scratching boards. I lace it with catnip and he's done for the day. Also, train your kitty to have you touch his/her paws. A bit of clipping, easy to do, does wonders too. Miss Gracie-kins only scratches her posts and the odd pieces of rug I lay around for her to find. Stick a toy under it and she'll discover it and play to her hearts content. I've heard the softpaws work really well too!

Please, don't declaw your kitty.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thanks for the helpful tips, I defenatly have a lot to talk to my Vet about. Growing up I had several cats, all declawed and most of my friends cats we also (all indoor cats). I was under the impresion that is almost as common as fixing them. As of now I am undecided, I guess if I choose to do it I am probably not welcome back in here anymore.

But since I started this prickly ball rolling I am changing the subject.
    We took Rocko to the dog park this weekend and she had a blast so I thought I would post a couple of pics of her showing off that monster tongue of hers.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Rocko could give Gene Simmons a run for the money in the tongue department! What a cutie!

myrosiedog, yes, post more photos of your pups SOON!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    M_shell: that is one big dog park. Rocko's tongue is none to small either.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll View Post
    Thanks for the helpful tips, I defenatly have a lot to talk to my Vet about. Growing up I had several cats, all declawed and most of my friends cats we also (all indoor cats). I was under the impresion that is almost as common as fixing them. As of now I am undecided, I guess if I choose to do it I am probably not welcome back in here anymore.

But since I started this prickly ball rolling I am changing the subject.
    We took Rocko to the dog park this weekend and she had a blast so I thought I would post a couple of pics of her showing off that monster tongue of hers.
    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g116/M_shelll/HPIM1032.jpg
    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g116/M_shelll/HPIM1056.jpg
    M_shell, you will always be welcome in here. Nothing wrong with having different opinions.

Rocko is adorable. Quite the tongue she has.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet View Post
    Our vet also said that once cats are declawed, they tend to bite harder.
    I would tend to agree with that. My older cat was declawed at six months and has always been a "biter", whereas my younger cat is not and never bites. It could be a personality thing, but I suspect it has more to do with the declawing.

Having said that, my older cat is now 13 and has never shown any ill effects from having been declawed. I used Softpaws for my younger kitty for the first year or so, and now I don't bother as he shows no inclination for clawing anything except the odd bit of carpet. Putting them on the cat is no fun, though - it took both me & my husband to get them glued on. Also, as cats shed their nails, you have to keep re-doing them - not much different from maintaining a human set of gel nails, I guess.

I'm not against declawing, but since I didn't need to use the Softpaws for too long, it ended up being cheaper in the long run than paying for the surgery to declaw.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll View Post
    As of now I am undecided, I guess if I choose to do it I am probably not welcome back in here anymore.
    I just want to stress what dagwood said. Whatever you decide to do, you are absolutely welcome here. This is a non-issue for me because my cat was already de-clawed when we rescued him. I would still like to get my hands on whoever abandoned him in the middle of winter and forced him to live outside with no claws.

He's quite happy living in the house now, I took these pictures of him when he hopped up onto a bookcase to check out some fresh flowers.

+ Reply to Thread