+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1268Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

The kitty nursing on the teddy bear sounds so adorable! My kitten has taken to nursing on my 10 year old chihuahua, they both seem to really enjoy it so I let them do it.

I was going to suggest a body pillow too Uncle David. I have steel rods in my spine and a body pillow works great for me.

Edit: misskitty, the picture in your avatar is the cutest thing I have seen in a long time! Is that your kitty?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Butterfly: You have got to get a picture posted of the kitty nursing on the chihuahua. I'm dying to see that.

Butterfly and misskitty: I've tried a body pillow. Doesn't work for me. I have sleep apnea and I tend to toss during the night. Lugging the pillow around under the covers is cumbersome and wakes me. With a smaller pillow or the teddy bear I can roll over without much sleep disturbance.

Besides, Ella and I LIKE sleeping with a teddy bear. You got a problem with that????
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I need to give a shout out for any ideas from y'all on separate feeding of furry friends. My girl, Spooki, was in the kitty hospital this week and ended up diagnosed with an enlarged heart and urinary tract infection Getting her to take the antibiotics is MUCH easier than expected, but I'm having issues getting her to eat now. She's on a different diet of foods for her conditions that the doc said her partner in crime shouldn't be eating and the cats have always been fed together. The never ending hard food supply has had to go away, so they're hungry when it comes time to eat and I'm putting them in different rooms and closing off the doors but that's not going down well at all.

Anybody have hints how to feed their furry friends different diets in the same household?

UncleDavid: You sleep with your girls and your Teddy any way you want to

Butterfly: No, unfortunately it's not either of my kitts. They're not kittens anymore, but I do love the photo.

libra1022: I'm so very sorry to hear about Spooki's heart condition and infection. I hope she feels better soon. It's very difficult to try to feed two cats two different foods. I tried the separate rooms thing once, but I find they'd rather see and hear each other eat. So I put one dish on the floor, and the other dish on the top of the cat tree, or table. When it works, they both know they are getting fed, just not the same thing. And if one finishes before the other, I play with the faster kitty. Not much help there, I guess.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Sorry to hear about your little one libs. I've never hsd to deal with separate feedings. I'm sure it can be a pain.

A friend of mine had a fat cat and a skinny cat. She had to put the chubbier one on a diet, so she put a box with a small door cut in it over the food supply for the skinny cat. The door was only large enough for the smaller cat, and the bigger one could not get in. It worked well enough, but I was pretty surprised one morning to wake up and find chubby wedged in the door, meowing at the top of his lungs! I don't know what you would do if the cats are similar sizes.

Okay so I am soooo excited now, I am 90% sure that I will have a kitten by this time NEXT WEEK!
    But first I have a quick question: How old does a kitty have to be before it can be de-clawed? If you're getting a kitten fixed at a few months can they de-claw it at the same time?

MRD
    We took our dogs to the park this weekend. The park is GORGEOUS and HUGE and is right on main street downtown, but below street level so you think you are in the middle of nowhere. It has a waterfall and many areas of different levels. Just gorgeous. And dog friendly. Our two are used to not being allowed to go anywhere in the Dog Nazi State, so they had a blast and waded right in and got in the water. Where we were you could walk across the rocks and it was real shallow. They had a ball. Then we walked downtown and there are so many sidewalk cafes and they all have dog water bowls out for the dogs. And they got to bark at and semi chase a pigeon.
    They slept in the car all the way home so I know they were tired. Oh and even some of the stores let us go in with the dogs. this is so unique to us.
    Can't wait to go back.
    I'll have to post pics of Rosie and Bogie at the waterfall.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll View Post
    But first I have a quick question: How old does a kitty have to be before it can be de-clawed? If you're getting a kitten fixed at a few months can they de-claw it at the same time?
    You want to declaw your kitty! NO, NO. NO. Can I say it strongly enough. It is painful for them.

All you need to do is get some good scratchy posts and train them to scratch there. Also you can clip their nails so they don't get long (that's when they really like to scratch). Start doing it while your kitty is young and she will get used to you playing with her toes and her paws. If you must, then buy the plastic claw covers and put those on, but please, please DO NOT DECLAW your kitten!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

M_shelll, I cannot agree more strongly with misskitty. A cat's being declawed is the equivalent of a human's being defingernailed. Train them young not to claw your furniture instead. If you find that he/she is clawing a particular piece of furniture, place a couple of strips of clear double-sided tape on that area and they will give it up pretty quickly and you can remove the tape once they get out of the habit. As misskitty says, get a scratching post or two (they love the ones they can climb and/or sleep on or in - Kitty Condos), train them with treats and catnip, and clip their nails.

All that aside, congrats on becoming partner to a furry little friend.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread