+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Uncle David, I feel for you. That's so sad. Sometimes animals just don't fit in with certain households. It's better to give them a shot at another home. Charlie might need to be an only cat. Sometimes other animals in the house get them acting up like that.

The older cat I have now (He's 11 and neutered) used his litter box like a normal indoor cat until a year or two ago. Then suddenly he started going everywhere! I took him to the vet to see if there was a physical problem (there wasn't), I tried different litter boxes, I tried using different litter, and I did anything else I could think of. None of it worked. Thankfully, I had the option of making him into an outdoor cat. He'd never been outside a day in his life, so I briefly considered putting him down because I didn't want him to live out his old age terrified and hiding under bushes. However, he's adjusted quite well and is still allowed in for naps and such. He's a happy cat, but I still feel guilty sometimes that I couldn't figure out how to let him to continue to live inside. I'm am glad I could put him outside, though. Not many people live in an area where they have that option.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Charlie might need to be an only cat.
    I told the vet I thought this was the case.

I've always had outdoor/indoor cats. Living at the beach the cats had their own door and came and went as they pleased. I had a cat box but I lived at the beach so they never used it.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Uncle David. At least you have good plans to find him a permanent home. Even if he does end up at Best Friends, at least you know he will be happy and well taken care of. (I love that place)
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I'm sorry to hear that Uncle David as I can tell how much of an animal lover you are. I'm sure it is upsetting and I admire your desire to make sure that Charlie will be taken care of.

Uncle David, I'm sorry to hear that, too, but agree with everyone else, that at least it's good to know you've tried everything, and will see to it that Charlie gets the best chances for a home that works best for him. Please try to feel good about that.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Unk: Although we've all had or have animal cohabitants you have a fresh memory of how attached you can become in such a short period of time. So even though everyone here understands how painful this is, you can actually imagine how difficult it's going to be tomorrow when I bring Charlie back to the vet.

On a positive note, it's a lot less painful knowing that no matter what, Charlie will always have a good home.

BTW, anyone want a sweetheart kitty with a slight social flaw?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    I'm glad it was helpful. If I were you I'd call a few different vets and ask them (or their techs, 'cause the vets often don't come to the phone for non-clients) whether they have a lot of experience with these kinds of problems.

Did you notice that the link I posted was published by an animal clinic? When doing my quick research for you I found that a number of different vets posted "newsletters" addressing the topic of anal gland problems in dogs.

I encourage you to hunt down an expert on canine anal gland problems. Perhaps you could go a Google search of the topic with the name of the state in which you reside. Or you could call a vet school in your region and get a recommendation to a vet who has a lot of experience treating such problems.

Be persistent, myrosiedog. Your expert may be hard to find because -- let's face it -- if you were an "expert on canine anal gland problems" would you admit it? I wouldn't either!!!

So the expert may be hard to find, but I'm sure there's one near you and I know that with a second opinion or two you will get to the bottom of the problem.
    Thanks Pom, my problem is that after this, I may very well be an expert on anal glands and no, I wouldn't admit it either. Makes you wonder why dr. go into certain specialties like colorectal for example.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Unk: Although we've all had or have animal cohabitants you have a fresh memory of how attached you can become in such a short period of time. So even though everyone here understands how painful this is, you can actually imagine how difficult it's going to be tomorrow when I bring Charlie back to the vet.

On a positive note, it's a lot less painful knowing that no matter what, Charlie will always have a good home.

I feel so sad for you. I wish I could take him, but I have a dog with a slight social flaw at the moment and I don't think the anal glands on the dog and the kitty not using the litter box would make this house a pleasant place.
    I am hoping that you will find someone to adopt him and he will use the litter box like a good boy. I know how hard this is to have to take an animal back. I had to do it once and it just about did me in. Best wishes.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post

Not sure if you have read about my story but we recently had to take Reyna (our brindle boxer) back to the rescue where we got her. It was also a case of her needing to be an only dog or only pet. I "DO" know what you are going through. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    I "DO" know what you are going through. Good luck!
    Thanks!

Well, time to pack the little guy up and head to the vet. I can't thank you all enough for the support. It's been great to have you all there. Of course, if it weren't for all of you (particularly Unk and Star) I wouldn't be in this mess. I'd be going blissfully through my life with no little critters around to fret (and love) over.

I'm not going to bring home a second kitty right away. Greta picked up some bad habits from Charlie so I have to recondition her before I bring in another kitten. Once I do I'll have new photos for you to see.

Having said that, here's one last pic of my little boy...

+ Reply to Thread