+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1420Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    I rescued a bunny from the desert only to find out they are notorious chewers. Good thing I found a home with two darling girls who are madly in love with the bunny. Too many cables in my computer room.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Premium Member
    PGM35 - Try this link, there might be some helpful info there.

http://www.petplace.com/dog-behavior-library.aspx

PGM, have you ever watched Cesar Millan on the National Geographic channel? Oddly enough, I'm watching him right now...rehabbing two boxers named Beauford and Honey, who didn't get along when first introduced! He does a great job with dogs with all kinds of problems--I watch all the time. Here's his website-- The books and so forth seem reasonably priced to me.

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/www.dogpsychologycenter.com
    This is "Cesar's Philosophy" from the website.
    Cesar Millan teaches that, in order to properly fulfill both our dogs and ourselves, we need to become our canine's calm, assertive pack leaders. A dog that doesn't trust its human to be a good pack leader becomes unbalanced and often exhibits unwanted or anti-social behaviors. Cesar does not "train" dogs in the sense of teaching them commands like "sit, stay, come, heel," - he rehabilitates unbalanced dogs and helps "re-train" their owners to better understand how to see the world through a dog's eyes.

Cesar counsels people to calmly, assertively, and consistently give their dogs rules, boundaries and limitations to establish themselves as solid pack leaders and to help correct and control unwanted behavior. He doesn't believe in "quick fixes," even though changing some behaviors can appear to happen in a relatively short period of time. None of those changes will "stick," however, unless the human acts consistently with his/her dog every day to keep unwanted behaviors from returning. In Cesar's opinion, no one should ever hit or yell at a dog to correct unwanted behavior.
    Last edited by queenb; 06-20-2006 at 02:59 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

PGM - I've gone through the same thing with our dogs. We solved a few of the disputes by feeding the dogs in separate rooms. We separate them when we are not at home. I'd also suggest checking with your vet. Our older dog has been on a type of "doggie prozac" for the last year or so and it's really helped with his aggression. Another thing that has worked for us is playing and/or walking with them separately.

I'm also a big fan of Cesar Milan. His show is very informative and I read his book not too long ago and enjoyed that as well.

I hope that everything works out for you and your dogs!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    That is scary, PGM35. I hope things work out.
    Thanks - it was scary and I was concerned that they would hurt each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    How long have you had the two of them? Has anything changed recently? Are they both fixed? It is sounding like your b/f is on the right path about one being jealous of the other, though. I just wish I had some sound advice to give you about how to make it stop, but the internet can be a great source about pet problems. Try doing some searches, and talk to your vet, too.
    We got Buddy on 5/13/06 and Reyna on 6/4/06. Buddy (male) is fixed but Reyna (female) is not. She needs to get over her kennel cough (she's really almost 100%) and then spayed, then heartworm treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    PGM, they are definitely fighting for dominance. Most dogs can sort that out if left to their own devices, but some never can. Was one bigger originally and then started passing the other in size?
    Buddy is bigger then Reyna and she is older than he is. They played together alot at first and didn't seem to mind when one got a treat or something, the other just patiently waited for theirs. Feeding time was causing some problems but we started feeding them separately and that was working. This just happened all of a sudden and seemed odd since it wasn't a new situation or anything different than we'd done with them in the past. As I said, I couldlhand feed her antibiotic pill wrapped in turkey or ham and Buddy would sit there and wait for his treat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    PGM35, I hope you won't have to send the new boxer back to the rescue group especially since she's not the one starting the aggression Another thing to think about though is since she's already been placed in rescue, having other dogs start fighting with her may make her skittish and afraid at the next home if you have to give her up. What I mean is, if the problem can't be resolved quickly then it could have lasting effects on her. Maybe she would be best in a home with no other large dogs or other dogs at all, even though it sounds like she isn't the one with the problem.
    That's what I'm thinking now too. I don't want to deprive her of a loving family that can give her the 100% attention that she seems to have lacked before us and now that she received attention, she wants it all. But I have to understand Buddy's side of things too. If we didn't get him first, it may be the other way around. We got him when Rocky died, so he's been the "top" dog. We probably should have waited longer or thought more about getting another dog so soon after he joined our family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    PGM35 - Try this link, there might be some helpful info there. http://www.petplace.com/dog-behavior-library.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    PGM, have you ever watched Cesar Millan on the National Geographic channel? www.dogpsychologycenter.com
    Thanks for the links! I've already looked at them and some of the info is what our rescue organizer told me to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by doxie View Post
    PGM - I've gone through the same thing with our dogs. We solved a few of the disputes by feeding the dogs in separate rooms. We separate them when we are not at home. I'd also suggest checking with your vet. Our older dog has been on a type of "doggie prozac" for the last year or so and it's really helped with his aggression. Another thing that has worked for us is playing and/or walking with them separately.
    I really don't think it's Buddy being agressive in general. I come to that conclusion because I see his interactions with Lily. She can go up to him and take a toy from him and he doesn't react aggressively. He just lets it go if he wants to or gets it back if he wants to. I don't think he sees Lily as a threat because she is much smaller than him. Also, I treat Lily and Reyna the same and the fact that my attention on Reyna set him off, while my attention on Lily does nothing is why we think he's jealous of Reyna. She was very timid at first and now is more assertive in wanting our attention. She gets in between us when we are focusing on another dog. And maybe because they are similar in size, they are trying to figure out who is in charge and who is the Alpha, etc. And he may have decided, it's him and she's no longer wanted.

It's been over a day and they were separated all day yesterday. They've eaten separately and spent yard time separately. We think we'll try to put them together after work today and feel them out. We'll definitely watch it for a few more days and not make any rash decisions.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice. I'm glad the FORT is here to help in times like this.

I'll warn you that its not a good idea to try to separate them. A member of my family ended up getting stitches on his arm from trying to separate my dogs (which are bigger than your boxers). They didn't even see him, they were just going at each other and he got in the middle of the fray. Ask your vet to confirm, but I found it was best to step back and walk out the back door and try to call them outside. Getting caught between two fighting dogs is a bad idea.
    I had to quote myself after I reread this. In this quote, I meant separating them when they are actively fighting. I must have been tired when I was typing it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I had to quote myself after I reread this. In this quote, I meant separating them when they are actively fighting. I must have been tired when I was typing it.
    - I understood what you meant! I mentioned it to my b/f as well that it wasn't a good idea. He's pretty strong and grabbed both collars, one in each hand but you are right, it could have gotten ugly really quick. They both bled a little from their lips but that could have been their own teeth.

I'll be meeting Star tomorrow to pick up the kittens. I can't wait to get the liitle guys home plus it will be good to see Star again.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    I'll be meeting Star tomorrow to pick up the kittens. I can't wait to get the liitle guys home plus it will be good to see Star again.
    Keep us posted, Unk, and make sure to post pictures of your cuties!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I got another a few days ago that I neglected to mention. Her name is Blueberry, and she's just precious. I assume my apartment allows pets, since other neighbors have them.

+ Reply to Thread